Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SS396driver
Kodiak Kid

Kodiak Kid

Idiot with a "power saw"
Both don’t look like that now . In fact my 7910 met a little accident and the brake mount on the case broke .

Man you not really that far from me . Think they would mind me loading up my car trailer and truck ?
Is the brake capable of being repaired, or is it a saw with no brake for the rest of it's days? One of the things I like about STIHLS is. Usually the brake handle itself breaks before the mounts or fasteners. I use my brake all the time. I would feel really uncomfortable running a power saw without one. I know folks did for years and years, but that was before my time on a saw. For me, it's a must. 👍

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
Both don’t look like that now . In fact my 7910 met a little accident and the brake mount on the case broke .

Man you are not really that far from me . Think they would mind me loading up my car trailer and truck ?
My one buddy was there the other day and said guys were loading up car trailers. There's stacks and stacks of them. My buddy talked to the boss and said they have to go because of an audit coming up.

MustangMike
I believe things are getting mixed up here, not that Stihl makes things easy!

I believe the RSK chains are factory square file, but the RSLK is RS Klassic (the only difference is the raker profile). (Yea, Stihl will often use the same letter to mean different things, and the letter often does not relate to the change).

The raker profile was changed some years ago to make the chain run smoother. It is a more gradual lift (the raker is longer). Raker height likely has more to do with how it cuts than raker profile.

I did not think the classic style rakers were still available, but I could be wrong.

MustangMike
Honestly, I've never tried it, lol. I just don't like the idea of needing a special file, grinder or grinding stone. All for only one type of chain. Unless it cuts significantly faster. I don't see a use for it. Nor do I know any other pro fallers that run it. Not to say that there aren't any out there. I myself just don't know of any.
KK, you are comparing it to square file while FS is comparing it to round file.

Since I am all set up for square file, I don't think I will try it either, but if I were still running round, I likely would!

FYI, I have .050 on my 18" and 20" bars, but wanted to run .063 on all my larger bars, so I have than on my 24" and 28" bars. When I was buying my 36" bars, you could not get that length in .063 around here, so I went back to .050 for that length! Makes no sense but seems to work OK!

Also, I have never run anything but FC when milling, why do you prefer skip?

SS396driver
My one buddy was there the other day and said guys were loading up car trailers. There's stacks and stacks of them. My buddy talked to the boss and said they have to go because of an audit coming up.
Wish I had time this week is blocked up . Which wearhouse is it ?

SS396driver
Is the brake capable of being repaired, or is it a saw with no brake for the rest of it's days? One of the things I like about STIHLS is. Usually the brake handle itself breaks before the mounts or fasteners. I use my brake all the time. I would feel really uncomfortable running a power saw without one. I know folks did for years and years, but that was before my time on a saw. For me, it's a must. 👍
The ear on the case is broken off . Would need a new case . Im used to running saws with no brake . Don’t think I’ve ever non intentionally ever engage one

MechanicMatt

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Got home a little early to go watch my daughters basketball game

Could not believe my eyes!!

There was a Coyote 50yrds from back door!

By the time I grabbed my .223, he took off

I gave chase in the fields, had him in my crosshairs, dang SAFETY was still on, ughhhh

Must have been some sight, a guy in management attire, on ATV, with rifle, chasing a Wyle E through fields

Kodiak Kid

Kodiak Kid

Idiot with a "power saw"
The ear on the case is broken off . Would need a new case . Im used to running saws with no brake . Don’t think I’ve ever non intentionally ever engage one
Nice. did you take the fiction band off the drum housing? Just in case if the saw dose kick back rapidly. It dosent set a break you can't release without taking the break assembly cover off? Just curious.👍

WoodAbuser

WoodAbuser

aka WoodchuckAbuser
Got home a little early to go watch my daughters basketball game

Could not believe my eyes!!

There was a Coyote 50yrds from back door!

By the time I grabbed my .223, he took off

I gave chase in the fields, had him in my crosshairs, dang SAFETY was still on, ughhhh

Must have been some sight, a guy in management attire, on ATV, with rifle, chasing a Wyle E through fields
Beep Beep! Were you on an ACME brand ATV? :surprised3:

bob kern

bob kern

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
So, from what I can see. It only comes in .50g and it comes only in a round grind. I'm a .63g man and run square grind myself. Maybe I'll try a loop out and see if it out performs the tune I grind on my square grinder. However, I may not get the chance to try it, because I'm probably gonna start running anti kickback green label! I just read STIHL recommends it so, I better do what they say! Otherwise I might hurt myself. 😉
Anyone else ever try to bore cut whilst forgetting you were trying to use up a green chain????? I hate to just pitch them so I try to use them up on bucking saws and occasionally forget i'm running one. I've never intentionally purchased one but had several near new ones come in one non runners.

Latest posts