Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They make for a fun day on the ice! When the bite is on, it's not uncommon to catch 25 in an afternoon. Fishing for muskies is my main pursuit in the open water though. Now I am just waiting for sufficient ice to get my four wheeler out of the coves and several kilometers onto the main lake where the big lake trout live.
Many of our local lakes iced over during a major snowfall. Some spots are blown clean, some are buried under 24" of snow with questionable ice underneath. Several reports of men going through the ice and needing rescue lately, with a couple paying the ultimate price. I'll get out and punch a few holes this season, but I won't be going anywhere soon.

The divided skillet. Just a quick search brought several up on ebay and etsy. Not that I put much faith in those places. I'll do a better search when I get to the puter.
Oh ok....yeah take those with a grain of salt. Asking price and selling price are often quite varied.

When I did a search of the sold listings on ebay it looks like they fetch between 50-100 on average with an exceptional piece fetching a bit more.

In no means am I trying to detract from what is a very cool piece of iron.

Many of our local lakes iced over during a major snowfall. Some spots are blown clean, some are buried under 24" of snow with questionable ice underneath. Several reports of men going through the ice and needing rescue lately, with a couple paying the ultimate price. I'll get out and punch a few holes this season, but I won't be going anywhere soon.
Yikes! I don't blame you. No fish is worth your life! We try to err on the side of caution and if in doubt, punch test holes every 50' or so.

I think I have seen it all now when it comes to weird things being sold on Marketplace. I have never heard or seen of such a thing as these. I'm glad that I wasn't drinking anything when I saw this because it would have been spit out by my laughing.
Needs to go in the wtf thread, lol 🤣

No sir. Every other tooth is 1/2 the width of the others. The theory is it takes half the material and the tooth behind it finishes the cut.
I knew a guy who used that chain for general firewood cutting. He seemed to think it was better than regular chain. Different strokes, I guess :p

Some favor this, others favor that. Both are wrong, or right depending on who you ask. I just use regular chain and call it a day. I don't mill enough to have a strong opinion for the fancy stuff one way or the other, only preference I have is for full skip, since it's faster to sharpen. I can see the possibility of advantages of narrow curf, lp 3/8, and that fancy chain, but anyway I cut it, it's not worth the investment for me.

Oh ok....yeah take those with a grain of salt. Asking price and selling price are often quite varied.

When I did a search of the sold listings on ebay it looks like they fetch between 50-100 on average with an exceptional piece fetching a bit more.
Still a very cool piece of iron.
Hey thanks for bursting my bubble :laugh: ! I guess I'll have to use it now instead of just hanging it on a wall:laugh:.

I looked at their cheaper Diablo set but decided on this. After looking at the Diablo ones I had the quality is definitely not there .
I have quite a bit of Freud "stuff", I've always liked that brand and it's been good tools for me. My Freud saw blades were made in Israel.

I bought another full set of Forstner bits last year, and I thought I'd try a set of Delta bits. They were priced quite low and they have turned out to be a really good set of bits.

SR

I have quite a bit of Freud "stuff", I've always liked that brand and it's been good tools for me. My Freud saw blades were made in Israel.

I bought another full set of Forstner bits last year, and I thought I'd try a set of Delta bits. They were priced quite low and they have turned out to be a really good set of bits.

SR
Never heard of Delta brand bits . I just got tired of the bits not cutting cleanly . I probably have 8 of various brands . I have one that’s 1and 9/16 and it’s been a great bit . But it has no brand on it and I can’t remember where I got it . The rest not good at all

In no means am I trying to detract from what is a very cool piece of iron.
That’s like Gunbroker, some of the older rifles sit for years on there with dreamer prices….

Some favor this, others favor that. Both are wrong, or right depending on who you ask. I just use regular chain and call it a day. I don't mill enough to have a strong opinion for the fancy stuff one way or the other, only preference I have is for full skip, since it's faster to sharpen. I can see the possibility of advantages of narrow curf, lp 3/8, and that fancy chain, but anyway I cut it, it's not worth the investment for me.
I get that. My main curiosity is if it will be easier on the saw. I'm using a very strong 70 cc and it's still slow going. The saw is a torque monster and I just feel it could do better. Curious what I'm missing.
By torque monster I mean I routinely will stick the chain on the bark of a piece and use the torque to roll a big round towards me or even stand them on their end. It's no wimp. I may find there's not much difference, but I figure it's about the same price as any other chain so why not. I think we may be the same in that I don't plan to do tons like this. Just a post here and there , mantles and benches. If I need a truck load, off to the mill I go!

Never heard of Delta brand bits . I just got tired of the bits not cutting cleanly . I probably have 8 of various brands . I have one that’s 1and 9/16 and it’s been a great bit . But it has no brand on it and I can’t remember where I got it . The rest not good at all
I'm living in the past! lol They are Porter Cable, not Delta.

Glad you caught that, as I need to move out of Delta mode! lol (Delta was bought out by PC LONG ago)

SR

I get that. My main curiosity is if it will be easier on the saw. I'm using a very strong 70 cc and it's still slow going. The saw is a torque monster and I just feel it could do better. Curious what I'm missing.
By torque monster I mean I routinely will stick the chain on the bark of a piece and use the torque to roll a big round towards me or even stand them on their end. It's no wimp. I may find there's not much difference, but I figure it's about the same price as any other chain so why not. I think we may be the same in that I don't plan to do tons like this. Just a post here and there , mantles and benches. If I need a truck load, off to the mill I go!
70 cc class saws are my favorites for all around use, but milling is the toughest thing you can do to a saw, so for that I prefer the use 90 cc saws. They have more torque, and are built more solid, and you will still slow them down! Chain like you posted, or full skip chain, would likely help a 70 cc class saw stay in the powerband while milling.

70 cc class saws are my favorites for all around use, but milling is the toughest thing you can do to a saw, so for that I prefer the use 90 cc saws. They have more torque, and are built more solid, and you will still slow them down! Chain like you posted, or full skip chain, would likely help a 70 cc class saw stay in the powerband while milling.
Have not tried full skip but it's a good idea.

I have a couple I bought out of a bargain bin at a flea market. Never seen ones like them. The outer ring is wavy and crazy sharp. They cut very nice. If I ever run across a whole set I will be getting it!

Back