Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple I bought out of a bargain bin at a flea market. Never seen ones like them. The outer ring is wavy and crazy sharp. They cut very nice. If I ever run across a whole set I will be getting it!
Did a little search.......Screenshot_20240122-230609.png

I get that. My main curiosity is if it will be easier on the saw. I'm using a very strong 70 cc and it's still slow going. The saw is a torque monster and I just feel it could do better. Curious what I'm missing.
By torque monster I mean I routinely will stick the chain on the bark of a piece and use the torque to roll a big round towards me or even stand them on their end. It's no wimp. I may find there's not much difference, but I figure it's about the same price as any other chain so why not. I think we may be the same in that I don't plan to do tons like this. Just a post here and there , mantles and benches. If I need a truck load, off to the mill I go!
Yep, shortly after I got my Alaskan mill my cousin got a little bandsaw mill. Much easier lol. Hence my lack of investment with the Alaskan mill. Just odd ball requests from my wife, stuff too big for his mill, or if I need something right now. That's pretty rare for me to be in that much of a hurry.

This was actually ash. Same applies tho.
Just before EAB hit, I took a piece of Ash firewood and made a handle for a little throwing ax. Wish I had of stock piled some more. Now all the Ash left on the ground is too weak to use. Note the HVBW target!

YZaaJ2t.jpg

Mgc0e0B.jpg

50KJSx5.jpg

4FGW0YZ.jpg

v3KVits.jpg

Ejbz1ic.jpg

i mite be inclined to ask what they are used for? i mean.. why? but i don't think that would be a wise thing to do!!! :lol:
:givebeer:
Decisions, decisions, nurse says, doc what size do we need for Mr. Pokemon this morning? He has been complaining about his hemorrhoids again. Doc replies, start small and we will work our way up.

Just found another reason to not go to Las Vegas...

NY has a similar law you can be written up for going to fast in inclement weather even if your going less than speed limit . Speed unreasonable and imprudent. The posted speed limit is under ideal conditions.

Was up at the cabin for the last time (till spring) with my daughter. Our busy tax season will start soon.

Was very cold, humid (snowing) and very windy! The air bit the exposed sections of your face! Wend down to 0* F overnight, and never got over 15* during the day.

We did some grouse hunting but did not see any. No evidence of grouse or turkey still being up there (no bird tracks), and all of our cameras froze and stopped working. (one of them even broke). We were able to retrieve some pictures from the cameras that were not sent via phone service, and we took most of the cameras down. They showed deer, the three predators (coyote, fox, bobcat), and squirrel.

We also found tracks there were tracks from deer, coyote, fox, bobcat, rabbit, squirrel and perhaps a fisher. They get tough to ID in fluffy snow (no clear prints).

We did get a few work projects done to secure the cabin for the winter, but also had a couple of issues. The drain on our sink froze underground, so we will have to let that thaw and cover it better. We sucked the water out of the indoor pipe with a battery-operated shop vac so the pipes would not freeze.

I also managed to take a spill when we were loading the truck to leave. I was standing on the cargo rack and when I went to get off my boot clipped the railing, and I went over. Landed "well tucked", but on my elbow, and although my elbow is fine it jolted my shoulder pretty good. I work hard to not have problems with that shoulder, as I separated it (and was mis-diagnosed) in college. I have good strength with my arm close to my body, but the shoulder does not like it when I try to reach. Hopefully it resolves itself in a few days.
I hope that you heal that shoulder quickly. Last time I fell on ice I tore a muscle off in my shoulder. That was my 3rd surgery on that shoulder. Not fun at all.

Just before EAB hit, I took a piece of Ash firewood and made a handle for a little throwing ax. Wish I had of stock piled some more. Now all the Ash left on the ground is too weak to use. Note the HVBW target!

YZaaJ2t.jpg

Mgc0e0B.jpg

50KJSx5.jpg

4FGW0YZ.jpg

v3KVits.jpg

Ejbz1ic.jpg
Joe I just cut one up I thought was dead but the trunk was stihl green. If I find anymore I'll save some long pieces for ya.

NY has a similar law you can be written up for going to fast in inclement weather even if your going less than speed limit . Speed unreasonable and imprudent. The posted speed limit is under ideal conditions.
True... but a little rain doesn't make hoards of drivers loose control in NY!* 🤣

*Of course the oil and such washes off more frequently here!

I hope that you heal that shoulder quickly. Last time I fell on ice I tore a muscle off in my shoulder. That was my 3rd surgery on that shoulder. Not fun at all.

I hope that you heal that shoulder quickly. Last time I fell on ice I tore a muscle off in my shoulder. That was my 3rd surgery on that shoulder. Not fun at all

....... I have good strength with my arm close to my body, but the shoulder does not like it when I try to reach. Hopefully it resolves itself in a few days.
Sounds like a tear. Hope it's just pain from the previous injury.

Brother fell out ice fishing in Montana. Tweaked his back. Still flairs up from time to time if he doesn't stretch in the morning or moves to quickly.

Yea, Matt posted a pic of me cutting to get up to the cabin. We stopped so many times to clear stuff I lost count! Took us over an hour to get up (on 4wd rd), usually takes 10 minutes!

We were the ONLY ones up there ... other than the critters! All virgin snow with ice under it! Thank goodness for the Blizzaks, but even they slipped a bit. It was even difficult to walk on the 4wd rd w/o falling! Luckily, I brought two saws with me, because I managed to rock one of them before the cutting was done. When the wood is frozen to the ground and it is cold and windy, it is tough not to rock one!
that's how it felt Sunday bringing in the oak. well, imo... thanks for the pix. just what i had in mind. sans the snow!! lol
👍

Back