Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite sure what you just called me and everybody else here scrounging...but it sounded pretty good, Lol. I'll hafta take a look at these terms and see. I have heard the term 'copicing'...just gotta do a little research. Aint gotta clue what 'pollarding' means. I'll check it out...until then, you keep that vulgar language down, young man, lol.
One is cut at or shortly above ground level, the other is several feet up. I don't recall which is which.

You seem to have an aversion to replacing handles.... ;)

lmao. Yeah man, guess I do. I really like working with what's at hand. May be why I always loved helping out with shade tree mechanic jobs.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
"Coppicing is an English term for a traditional method of woodland management which takes advantage of the fact that many trees make new growth from the stump or roots if cut down. In a coppiced wood, young tree stems are repeatedly cut down to near ground level. In subsequent growth years, many new shoots will emerge, and, after a number of years the coppiced tree, or stool, is ready to be harvested, and the cycle begins again."

(had to look it up!)

Philbert

Seems pretty interesting. I was researching sustainable living and found that a while ago. Looks like fast growing trees are the prime candidates. Black locust is popular as it is a fast grower, makes great firewood, easy to grow, etc.

My Peavey looks small in part because the wood was so damn fat - lol - and in the photo it was leaning away from camera on an angle. I much prefer nice 18" rounds to deal with rather than the chunks in my photo.

I hear you about having a decent length handle to work with. Need the leverage for sure.

Yes sir, I agree. Always thought great big rounds were the thing to scrounge until I had to deal with them personally. I would prefer to scrounge things where I could whack it once with my Fiskars and call it split.

Only certain species respond to copicing and pollarding (sp?).

I think pollarding is mainly the tree tops right? More of a controlled grow technique I think. Coppicing would be cut at a much lower height. Read you can harvest black locust in about 5-10 years. I know it's pretty long term but it seems to be one of the best hardwood species for coppicing. I'm planning on buying 10-20 acres soon as a sustainable living homestead.

Full load of mulberry today. It was pull up pick up load. The wood was super heavy stuff. It looks like Saturday afternoon hunting has turned into a splitting and stacking day instead.

6c254e150ef56fd6b7a1fbcbe849678c.jpg

75f2c1d532c15c7a4bd6d88851333e51.jpg

Full load of mulberry today. It was pull up pick up load. The wood was super heavy stuff. It looks like Saturday afternoon hunting has turned into a splitting and stacking day instead.

6c254e150ef56fd6b7a1fbcbe849678c.jpg

75f2c1d532c15c7a4bd6d88851333e51.jpg
Nice scrounge NA...you think they could get another set of vinyl shutters on those windows in the background? Lol.

I guess I'm thankful in mid-Ga to not have to bust sooo much wood you folks have to. That's a lot of damn wood and work folks. And then expense of controls/mechanicals/whatnot for OWB's, etc, etc. My hats off to ya...especially that Dan fella with that poor 'ol minivan :D. I think I'd mount that thing when it finally chits the bed, lol. Great scrounging fellas...

Actually I did, gotta tell ya I really like leveraxe I, leveraxe II is worthless, guess I shouldn't post that but....?
Since I am splitting wiht a partner, guess we're really at about 25 - 28 cords so far split this year. He gets half and I get half.
No, it's better to be truthful.

I appears they are putting their new funding towards improving their original model.

I actually prefer the 2. It's second to none in frozen wood.

I was just thinkin the other night fellas, kinda like hittin the lottery, thinkin. Could ya imagine the machine work, fabrication, welding, etc, ideas, a damn good group of folks like us idiots could come up with?? Right people in the right jobs...could make a damn mint. It'd take a helluva Powerball winning investment up front...just thinkin fellas. Y'all some tree cuttin, wood bustin fools, and that's a good thing.

Did you leveraxe any of that?

No, it's better to be truthful.

I appears they are putting their new funding towards improving their original model.

I actually prefer the 2. It's second to none in frozen wood.
Welp, haven't tried it in frozen wood for either, guess gonna try it. I love hand splitting, makes me feel alive again, for that matter I feel much better using hydraulics...
Work smarter, not harder..:rock:

Back