Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever drill rocks to split them using wedges and feathers? I have some rocks to get rid of that are too big for my tractor to lift. I bought a used Hilti TE22 hammer drill and some wedges and feathers to split them up into movable pieces. Now I have to wait for nicer weather before I start on that project.

It was time to deep fry another turkey,

Resized-20240129-192727-S.jpg

I made sweet potato and white potato fries before the turkey...

We sure like this deep fryer; it does a GREAT job.

SR

It was a hard day's work at the office yesterday...20240128_143447.jpg
Canada on my right, and Maine, USA on my left.20240128_144505.jpg
Leaving the house at 4:30 a.m. and getting back around 9 in the evening proved to be worthwhile. Couldn't ask for better weather either, 0°C or 32°F with a light wind blowing South. Barometer on the drop. Very favourable conditions for fishing.received_1556304285207329~3.jpeg 20240128_103849.jpg

Went up to WV camp this past week end. Wanted to leave by 8-9 in the morning, didn't make it till noon. Got up there about 3. Our last trip we got the heat pump in, but it was late and my BIL didn't want to spend the night so we could clean up after the install. So, the purpose of this trip was to clean up. We took both beds out of the bed room, the kitchen table was so covered with STUFF, I couldn't make room to eat a sub. I walked in and was just so depressed, I didn't want to start cleaning. I set my bed up in the middle of the big room and drove up into the woods looking for a nice dead Oak. Found a nice White Oak right next to the old logging road. Threw a tag line up in it and pulled it across the road. Bucked it up, noodled the bottom 5 blocks, and loaded up the F150. Took 2 1/2 hours from starting the saw, loading up, and putting the tools away. The field running up hill was pretty squishy, but I made it. Aimed the truck down the drive way for my escape on Sunday morning. Was in a better frame of mind Saturday morning and had everything pretty cleaned up by the time 2 friends showed up. We took several sheets of plywood and insulation out of the old addition on the trailer, and finished most of the wall in the bedroom. Had planned on taking more building supplies out of the old addition Sunday then leaving around noon. it poured all night Saturday night. Mt friend went out early to walk his dog, and came back in said they were packing up and leaving. It was still raining so hard, he said running water down the hill to the trailer was so bad his feet got soaked. I think the real cold weather last week had the soil still frozen. The water couldn't soak in, it just ran down the surface of the field. I walked up to the trailer to get some tools, and my boots were soaked in ten minutes. In the pic, it looks like the truck is sitting on gravel. It's water an inch deep running down the whole field. The good part of the week end was I brought back almost half a cord of wood, and my truck still averaged 19.4 MPG. If I take the 10K dump up there and bring back a full cord, I only get 9 MPG. The heat pumped heated the building, 12'X40' no problem. It was set on 68 when we went to bed and it was too warm, lowered it to 65 and was perfect.
SB9LxSd.jpg

O531lNV.jpg

WfMQuLu.jpg

vcnDilO.jpg

qulD1gO.jpg
That's still great fuel economy.
What's the story on the cabinet to the left, never seen pulls like those before.
What kind of heat pump, I've been considering one for the 12x24 conditioned area of the barn. I figured I can open the door to the other 12x24 section of that lean-to in order to heat it up a bit and thaw out the car in the winter.
It will be insulated quite well, so I think something like that would be a nice option.
Today I built the wall that divides the lean-to in half, tomorrow I hope to build the wall between the lean-to and the main, and maybe get some insulation installed between the truss carriers.
Really looking forward to having a nice warm place to work on projects, haven't had that where I lived since the mid 90s.

Always wonder what happens when someone just vanishes. He was posting regularly till 2022 then was just gone.

Some of Randy's thugs/groupies had it out for him but they had all "migrated" several years back so nobody was giving him a hard time.
I was 😆.
One time he posted something and I was able to get his business name, went and checked it out online. He had a really neat feature there and it calculated the delivery cost, can't remember for sure, but it was like $7600 for a cord delivery from Alaska to me :laughing:.

Anyone ever drill rocks to split them using wedges and feathers? I have some rocks to get rid of that are too big for my tractor to lift. I bought a used Hilti TE22 hammer drill and some wedges and feathers to split them up into movable pieces. Now I have to wait for nicer weather before I start on that project.
I've done that a few times, drill holes then stick a bunch of tapered punches in the holes to split them. Lots of work, but it works. Found it easier just to rent a gas powered jack hammer for the weekend.

I've done that a few times, drill holes then stick a bunch of tapered punches in the holes to split them. Lots of work, but it works. Found it easier just to rent a gas powered jack hammer for the weekend.
How was the jackhammer on your back? I've never used one. My front steps were poured onsite in forms sometime before we bought the house and they're starting to degrade. I suspect the aggregate that was used is too large or the mix wasn't right. Currently brainstorming ways to get rid of them without paying through the nose. We want to put a mudroom addition in their place.

Back