Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How was the jackhammer on your back? I've never used one. My front steps were poured onsite in forms sometime before we bought the house and they're starting to degrade. I suspect the aggregate that was used is too large or the mix wasn't right. Currently brainstorming ways to get rid of them without paying through the nose. We want to put a mudroom addition in their place.
I ran a jackhammer for a day once and it was much easier on the body than I expected. I would go that route. Or hire a young man with a big sledge (be sure to have very good eye and face protection and hang blankets over nearby windows).

I ran a jackhammer for a day once and it was much easier on the body than I expected. I would go that route. Or hire a young man with a big sledge (be sure to have very good eye and face protection and hang blankets over nearby windows).
I've done my share of rock busting when I was in my late 20's when we rebuilt a 24 foot long wall under the inlaws barn. The wall was caving inwards from ground frost. We couldn't get a machine under the barn to put the rocks back up on the wall. One of my older brother's and I went to work making them manageable with a 15 pound sledgehammer. We made them small enough to be able to lift up on the wall. My FIL and I rebuilt the wall using concrete and crushed sand mix along with the rocks. That was a long project that lasted a few months due to my working full time.

Good morning guys.

We had rain last night and temps in the high 20's overnight. Surprisingly roads were good.

Busy day here. Work then I am cooking team dinner for the girls basketball team. Each parent is responsible for cooking one team dinner a year. Cast iron may be used. Meatballs, marinara. grilled chickenm, homemade alfredo, salad, and pasta will be served.

Have a great day.

Good morning guys.

We had rain last night and temps in the high 20's overnight. Surprisingly

Busy day here. Work then I am cooking team dinner for the girls basketball team. Each parent is responsible for cooking one team dinner a year. Cast iron may be used. Meatballs, marinara. grilled chickenm, homemade alfredo, salad, and pasta will be served.

Have a great day.
Just as long as you don't use cast iron to break up old concrete it should go well. 🍳 :yes:

Good to know. I think I'll add that to the list of projects for once the white blanket is gone and the ground firmed up again. Good call on the blankets as well, I have a living room picture window 6 feet away and a basement egress window directly beside the stairs.

Good to know. I think I'll add that to the list of projects for once the white blanket is gone and the ground firmed up again. Good call on the blankets as well, I have a living room picture window 6 feet away and a basement egress window directly beside the stairs.
Yeah the little corners of concrete like to shear off and fly at light speed!

Here's an old piece of cast iron we had over at the farm. That house dates back to 1735 - 1750 era depending on who you talk to. I believe it is a muffin pan but not sure. It is encrusted heavily with dried hard black gunk. I chipped it off gently from one of the ends. (Update) Google informed me that it is an 1800's vintage corn muffin pan

Attachments

• 20240130_100445.jpg
    20240130_100445.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240130_100452.jpg
    20240130_100452.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Since you guys love cast iron. Here is a small pot for you. It measures 33 inches across the top. Unfortunately it has had a crack in the bottom for who knows how long. I have been around here since 1971 and it was cracked back then.

Attachments

• 20240130_102000.jpg
    20240130_102000.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
That's still great fuel economy.
What's the story on the cabinet to the left, never seen pulls like those before.
What kind of heat pump, I've been considering one for the 12x24 conditioned area of the barn. I figured I can open the door to the other 12x24 section of that lean-to in order to heat it up a bit and thaw out the car in the winter.
It will be insulated quite well, so I think something like that would be a nice option.
Today I built the wall that divides the lean-to in half, tomorrow I hope to build the wall between the lean-to and the main, and maybe get some insulation installed between the truss carriers.
Really looking forward to having a nice warm place to work on projects, haven't had that where I lived since the mid 90s.
I'm ecstatic with the mileage. If I took the trailer I'd have to charge more than a cord is selling for around here, not worth it. But, if I take a load on the PU every time I go up, I could stock up enough to have 10 cord for next year, plus what I get local.

The pulls on the old kitchen cabinet? I actually looked while I was up there to see who made it, but didn't write it down. I'll get it next time. Years ago I had a big Hoosier Cabinet and all of the hinges and latches had a big "H" on them. I think a search of kitchen cabinet pulls will find some similar?

My Vet friend had an animal clinic. She bought the Heat pump in 2018, used it half a year and retired and sold the clinic in 2019. It's a GE. My building is 12X40 and it keeps it toasty. We had it on 68 when we went to bed and it was too warm. Set it down to 65 and was very comfortable. Went down to 40 at night and the emergency heat didn't kick on. All walls and ceiling are R13.

32 inch by 8 ft red oak log approx 3300 lbs . The base of this tree was much larger than 32 inches . Not easy to move by hand
Mark, I skid whole trees with my F150 in 4X4. I use 17,000 pound test Bull Rope. Don't let people stand anywhere near the rope, I have popped a couple of them. I have a 6' step ladder that I use to wrap a chain around another tree as high as I can reach, to hang a snatch block. Make sure that tree is in a straight line with the lay of the log. I have several snatch blocks, if I need to zig zag the log out. Pull it up to the first tree, back up a little for slack, open the snatch block and flip the rope out. The ropes I've broken were always wrapped, half a turn, around a tree because I didn't have my snatch blocks. The bark is too much resistance. These trees I pulled up to the trailer in one piece, then cut them 8' to load. They weren't all that big. My friend got us this side job for $500 a day to remove them from the peoples woods. A tornado touched down and cut a path through their property. We got 4 or 5 loads out each and Covid hit, and they stopped us. Never called back?
z2rrJuI.jpg

YRhGs71.jpg

Mark, I skid whole trees with my F150 in 4X4. I use 17,000 pound test Bull Rope. Don't let people stand anywhere near the rope, I have popped a couple of them. I have a 6' step ladder that I use to wrap a chain around another tree as high as I can reach, to hang a snatch block. Make sure that tree is in a straight line with the lay of the log. I have several snatch blocks, if I need to zig zag the log out. Pull it up to the first tree, back up a little for slack, open the snatch block and flip the rope out. The ropes I've broken were always wrapped, half a turn, around a tree because I didn't have my snatch blocks. The bark is too much resistance. These trees I pulled up to the trailer in one piece, then cut them 8' to load. They weren't all that big. My friend got us this side job for $500 a day to remove them from the peoples woods. A tornado touched down and cut a path through their property. We got 4 or 5 loads out each and Covid hit, and they stopped us. Never called back?
z2rrJuI.jpg

YRhGs71.jpg
I guess I could have . This area was about 1/2 mile from the house in the woods no road just navigated through the trees and brush Was years before I added this
View attachment VID_80990722_004321_955.mp4

How was the jackhammer on your back? I've never used one. My front steps were poured onsite in forms sometime before we bought the house and they're starting to degrade. I suspect the aggregate that was used is too large or the mix wasn't right. Currently brainstorming ways to get rid of them without paying through the nose. We want to put a mudroom addition in their place.
Not terrible really. Not like it was an atlas copco air hammer. Had a little Honda engine on it. Worked well. Think it had adapters for driving a few different posts as well. Neat little thing.

Back