Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you run square it sure makes a difference in how smooth a saw feels, longer bars help a bit too. I like an aggressive chain, but even on saws with spring AV I dont make them really aggressive as I feel it in my hands. Because I use bore cuts quite often, I find out real quick if my chains are too aggressive. Getting kickback in a bore cut spring AV or not is something I really don't like!
It amazes me how nasty the filters on a 460/461 would get, but those saws run forever.
I've been thinking about having a spot in the barn with air specifically for cleaning saws of. I could put an old shower enclosure in and have a wire mesh table there to set the saws on, just need a spot to isolate/ keep contained all the debris. The way I look at it is, if I don't make a mess, I don't have to clean it up :).
Yesterday I got the last of the isopoly insulation installed on the exterior walls in the shop area. I'm at 3" on the exterior walls which is around r-19 now I'll build 2x4 walls and put r-13 in them. I bought a 250' spool of 12/2 wire and a bunch of outlet boxes yesterday so I can be ready to get them in soon as I get the walls built. I'm still on track for having the ceiling in there next weekend (no insulation up there for a while though), so I can at least have one heated spot out there. Sure would have been nice sharpening my chains yesterday with a t-shirt on and no gloves lol. Looking forward to setting up my grinders in there too, that would have saved a lot of filing yesterday and a file. While grinding is expensive up front, it's not bad in the end if you use your equipment. Once I'm set up I have a bunch of chain to gring, gotta pay(read justify lol) for the equipment somehow. I'll probably sell a couple square grinders to help fund a car lift for the main.
Here's where it's currently at.
View attachment 1150444View attachment 1150445
I am really liking the looks of this. I am tempted to enclose part of my pole barn as a shop...my current shop is an old dirt floor one stall garage....not feasible for heating all winter.

Just got back from a couple days at the cabin. Was able to just drive right in. No snow left on the drive. Took pix of the cast iron that I have been using there for years. Not as nice and clean at what I have at home now with no running water. The cabin is completely off grid also.
View attachment 1150289
View attachment 1150290
View attachment 1150291
View attachment 1150293
View attachment 1150294
View attachment 1150295
These have cooked lots of bacon, eggs, pancakes etc. Over the years.
Neat-you don't see too many 3 notch #10's

I partitioned off rooms in our garage and barn. We keep all of our canned goods, garden staples (Taters, onions, etc.), an upright freezer and spare refrigerator in the garage and the one in my barn has been my heated work space for whatever hobby I was into over the last 10 years.
It has been worth every penny we invested.
The maid's on vacation, so don't mind the mess.

20240204_102154.jpg20240204_102545.jpg

I partitioned off rooms in our garage and barn. We keep all of our canned goods, garden staples (Taters, onions, etc.), an upright freezer and spare refrigerator in the garage and the one in my barn has been my heated work space for whatever hobby I was into over the last 10 years.
It has been worth every penny we invested.
The maid's on vacation, so don't mind the mess.

View attachment 1150465View attachment 1150466
What mess?.....if I showed a pic of my messy shop I think I'd end up banned......😎

A heated shop (or at least a part of it) is the way to go....especially for y'all Eskimos...👍

That’s good information. I have a scope on my 24 sighted in for the rifle barrel and you could barely hit paper at 30 yards with a slug from the shotgun barrel.
Back in the 60s Lyman made a 53D peep sight for model 24. With one of them the top was as accurate as any 22, maybe short of expensive match barrels. The lower tube was for instinctive, like any scatter nug. I do wish I could find a 53D for a relative...

What mess?.....if I showed a pic of my messy shop I think I'd end up banned......😎

A heated shop (or at least a part of it) is the way to go....especially for y'all Eskimos...👍
My shop has two types of messy . Messy and not as messy as it was. :omg:

@svk @farmer steve and anybody else with a thot. Looking for a 3 quart dutch oven. Think it will work well for me to bake bread.
No experience baking bread in cast iron but Griswold did make a loaf pan. You might have trouble getting that much batter to bake evenly in a Dutch oven. @svk Will probably have better insight on this.

No experience baking bread in cast iron but Griswold did make a loaf pan. You might have trouble getting that much batter to bake evenly in a Dutch oven. @svk Will probably have better insight on this.
That's why I'm interested in finding a small one. At least that is what I wood call a 3 quart.

I must say thats Impressive.👍 I believe I would classify that as sub MOA.👏
AND it shows that the Valmet 412 scope mount goes back to zero "every" time you put it, (the scope) back on, and that's the REAL reason I shot that target.

I already knew how accurate that bbl. was, as I've put hundreds and hundreds of bullets through it.

SR

Hey fellas,
It's been awhile since I've posted anything. Been checking in once in a while. I'm about 300 pages behind so I don't think I'll be catching up. Are we still talking about grease guns, zig zagging bears, cooking in cast iron and a little scrounging?:innocent:

Got a little time in on the saws today.
Bucked up a few ash logs that I had on a pile with the MS400. That saw has become my go to. Smooth, light and powerful enough for anything I have around here.
I may have hit the dirt once...had to break out the stump vice.
20240204_144917.jpg20240204_150425.jpg 20240204_153249.jpgBroke out the MS460 to noodle the big rounds. She's a heavy tank compared to the MS400.20240204_160403.jpgJob done...just need to split it now.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Lee

Back