Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Madsen's wedges are made by the same people who make Double Taper wedges"
The man that developed the Double Taper wedge worked on a falling crew with my dad back in about 1960. They were working in the Gifford Pinchot NF in south Washington State. When he first started making plastic wedges, the falling crew used them and provided the feedback on the different designs as well as the type of plastic they were of. I still have some of the old wedges, and we still use their current production ones!
I believe Double Taper wedges (and several store brands) are still manufactured in Washougal, WA.

"Any rec’s for wedges? They run $14 a piece for husqvarna wedges from Lowe’s by me."

@Ryan A I usually carry a couple of 5 1/2" wedges in my back pocket especially in would like you are working in. I think I pay less than $5 (I get them at cost). If you want, PM me an address and I will mail you a couple.

All the talk about noodling while it’s still on the big stick….

I’m gonna have to try this!
It's the ticket for big stuff. This ash I'm working on I made 2 noodle cuts before I bucked my firewood piece off. Some of those pieces were stihl in the 60-70 lb range or more. See the big squares in the pic.
20240208_104534.jpg

It's the ticket for big stuff. This ash I'm working on I made 2 noodle cuts before I bucked my firewood piece off. Some of those pieces were stihl in the 60-70 lb range or more. See the big squares in the pic.
View attachment 1152796
Here some ash Steve all 40” plus inches of it 😆👍already burnt lol IMG_0134.jpeg

I cut this pile of firewood last Fall and planned splitting it by November. Ha, that never happened! It was a nice day and Brother came over. We pulled out the splitter and spent about 6 hours on the pile. Really wet wood, so we let it lie. Suppose to be 60s and windy tomorrow. We'll stack after a couple of days of drying. Probably 2 cords of wood. But all things seem bigger than they really are :laugh: . I'll get a better idea when we stack it. This will be for the 2025 season or later. Really stringy for Red Oak.

P.S. Forgot the pic.
View attachment 1151616
A couple of days ago, I mentioned my Brother and I got this pile of Oak split.
IMG_2546.JPG
Got a little slop coming so my Brother came by yesterday and we got it all stacked.
IMG_2547.JPG
Added 3-1/3 rows (5' x 17') to my wood pile. Still ave some low grade firewood that gets stacked on the pallets on the right. Too tired to do it today.

Latest posts

Back