Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess better late than never, they got here about 10:45

Perfect timing cause I was about played out

The big fella on the splitter controls, his back is screwed, he kept telling me how sorry he was that I was going nuts trying to cover for the lack of the two young bodies

But when they showed up, it was like calling in the ace closer to seal the win

They showed up and breathed new life into it

Now, let’s go get cleaned up for my nephews surprise 30th party

The one driving the big 3020IMG_6408.jpegIMG_6410.jpegIMG_6411.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6412.jpeg
    IMG_6412.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
We decided to head up north this weekend. Got some more trail cleared this morning and split a little maple.20240316_105225.jpgHere's my blue tractor...
20240316_105230.jpg
I can't speak to the green tractors but the blue and orange ones are both good tractors. They both are Japanese tractors so they're well built. Our Kubota isn't built nearly as heavy as the New Holland but the Kubota has more power and is a hydro so it's much nicer to do loader work and blow snow with it. I honestly really like both.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

We decided to head up north this weekend. Got some more trail cleared this morning and split a little maple.View attachment 1162541Here's my blue tractor...
View attachment 1162542
I can't speak to the green tractors but the blue and orange ones are both good tractors. They both are Japanese tractors so they're well built. Our Kubota isn't built nearly as heavy as the New Holland but the Kubota has more power and is a hydro so it's much nicer to do loader work and blow snow with it. I honestly really like both.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
I had a 1920 New Holland for a couple of years and a B6200 Kubota for a few also. Both were dependable and well made, but the next one will be hydrostatic, period.

I have a Cross brand adjustable valve on my homemade splitter that I built back in the 80's. It has been flawless.
The original valve came with the cylinder, I didn't see the point of buying another at the time. In hind site I should have just sucked it up and grabbed a name brand valve, but it worked for a long time being a cheapo.
Hope you green tractor fans appreciate the vintage machines doing there thing
Have a lot of memories doing field work with a 4020 on my cousins farm when I was younger. Real good tractor. Only issue we had with it was the clutch went out once, more self induced then anything... it made a real good foot prop.

I guess word has been spreading around work that I work on saws. Had a few guys ask of I'd work on their equipment, one i basically flat out said no. He has a ms170 and said it needs rebuilt. Piston is scored real bad. Pretty much told him if he wants stihl parts put back in it, it's cheaper just to get a new saw. Don't think he liked that answer. Another asked if I'd look at his homelite. "Hasn't ran in 10 years." Said sure, bring it in when you think about it. Should have that to play with next week.
I should have known better then to fix hammers saws for him. Didn't really want any more side work till the shop is done.

Looks like @svk is the only one that posted a cast iron cooking pic since I left for the cabin. The rest of you have been posting wood and tractors and splitters, as if anybody is actually interested in that stuff. haha
1710629504102.jpeg
1710629600723.jpeg
1710629625865.jpeg
A little sumthin for breakfast. Little Wagner and #10 Lodge 3 notch in action.

Went to the annual Spring Auction today, tried to spend a lot of money, but 2 other guys had more. I did get two real pretty treadle sewing machines bases to make plant stands out of for $5, and 3, 50 pound calibration weights for $5 for all three.

GHuXdf3.jpg

Now, here is the fun part. Not a good pic, but can anyone guess what this engine is? I knew and was hoping to get a diamond in the rough. But, 2 other guys knew what it was and it sold for $2600. Not to me!

TwR9jWg.jpg

ruDVcly.jpg

I had the optional stones for mine too, I still wasn't happy with it, so I sent it down the road.

SR
I’ve got a couple other grinders that I can apply for different tasks. One is a slow speed vertical that I use with relatively fine stones for turning tools and carving tools. My other grinder is vertical, standard speed, and has course stones. I use that for grinding in relief and fixing damaged edges. The Marita is basically a “finish” grinder. I don’t try to remove large amounts of metal as it is too slow for that. Add in the files, Arkansas stones, and angle grinders and I can usually figure an efficient way to restore edges. I’ve looked at Foley Belsaw grinders on Craigslist but have thus refrained from pulling the trigger. I also entertain the notion of a surface grinder. Or both! 😉

Went to the annual Spring Auction today, tried to spend a lot of money, but 2 other guys had more. I did get two real pretty treadle sewing machines bases to make plant stands out of for $5, and 3, 50 pound calibration weights for $5 for all three.

GHuXdf3.jpg

Now, here is the fun part. Not a good pic, but can anyone guess what this engine is? I knew and was hoping to get a diamond in the rough. But, 2 other guys knew what it was and it sold for $2600. Not to me!

TwR9jWg.jpg

ruDVcly.jpg
I’m guessing a McCulloch Engine… not as common as the 10-10 perhaps.

I've never seen anyone ***** so much. The last time we camped with them, she ragged my BIL from morning until bedtime. 'Do this', 'get me that', 'No, I said .....'. And BIL just took it. I know what I'd say... F Off! You're probably right, negative energy.
That’s hilarious. My ex sil treats her husband like that.

One time she’s tanning on the beach. Calls him down. “It’s time for lunch. We’ll have hamburgers. Tell me when they’re done.”

And he went and cooked burgers and delivered them to her!
Care to share the recipe?
Pound of browned burger, bunch of sliced yellow potatoes.

Made a roux with bacon grease and flour. Then added milk to make the sauce followed by a couple cups of cheese. Seasoned the sauce up with a bunch of Cajun seasoning. Poured that over the spuds and beef. Spread in a greased pan and topped with chives. Baked for about 40 minutes covered at 350 then another 15 at 375 uncovered. Served with hot sauce and sour cream.
We all got at least ONE of those sisters

I thank God every day for my BIL, took that off my hands when she got divorced I became the main firewood getter and male role model

Then came the savior, Bill…..
Lol that’s awesome!

Is your motor running at WOT when splitting? Is your pump a two stage pump? It sounds like your pressure release valve is set too high or is not working as in being stuck in the closed position. The return cycle should be adjustable by the set screw behind the valve.
It doesn't seem like it. If I push the governor to make it rev up, it does the same thing when it hits a hard piece, just stalls out.
I'm pretty sure I cleaned this carb when I got it and it didn't change anything. It's the newer style Briggs that doesn't have a choke position, but it fires right up and sounds great.
I think it's a two stage, as that's what these 22ton huskees have always had, but it could have been changed I'd guess.
I'll check the set screw, is that also the pressure release valve?
Most likely someone was playing with the cross over valve or its stuck in high flow mode. Some of them can be set. Usually it's set between 700 and 900 psi. There should be some sort of removable cap/plug on the side of the pump valve should be under it, if it's adjustable there will be a set screw/ jam nut configuration. If you toss a pressure gauge on the main line you'll be able to tell pretty quickly if it's working or not. I wouldn't rule out an engine issue though. They are pretty robust and simple. Never hurts to check.
I only have a fuel pressure gauge.
I'll look when I'm out there next.
Lots of these "box store" splitter have gone to non adjustable return detents and non adjustable reliefs. It's a cost thing I guess. But me in the arse last summer, had a leakage issue with the valve I had on my splitter and tossed a used one on. Shortly afterwards I had retraction issues where it would kick out early. Took the rear cover off and it's just a spring with no easy way to adjust it. Stupid design. Would have taken full disassembly and finding shims to get it to work right. Bought a new adjustable valve and moved on with life. Last time I use a valve with that style detent.
The valve was replaced before I bought it, it's acted this way since I got it home.

Looks like @svk is the only one that posted a cast iron cooking pic since I left for the cabin. The rest of you have been posting wood and tractors and splitters, as if anybody is actually interested in that stuff. haha
View attachment 1162606
View attachment 1162607
View attachment 1162609
A little sumthin for breakfast. Little Wagner and #10 Lodge 3 notch in action.

Wait, Wait, Your cooking at camp and NOT using wood!!!!

By the powers vested in me, you are hereby banished from this thread!!!

Well, maybe because you used cased iron we will give you a break this time, but just this time!

And next time, post some pictures of dead animals, we like pictures of dead animals on this thread!

Wait, Wait, Your cooking at camp and NOT using wood!!!!

By the powers vested in me, you are hereby banished from this thread!!!

Well, maybe because you used cased iron we will give you a break this time, but just this time!

And next time, post some pictures of dead animals, we like pictures of dead animals on this thread!
Forgive me, I confess .... I use CI on a Coleman stove when camping all the time. It's so much quicker. In my defense, I'll say "I'm Hungry!". I do do biscuits in a CI DO over charcoal. Stews and gumbo the same way. Does that count toward my penance?

GHuXdf3.jpg

TwR9jWg.jpg

ruDVcly.jpg
$2600 is a bit much for an off grid ceiling fan for the cabin. The question I'm sure we are all asking tho is was there any cast iron skillets or dutch ovens on the sale?:drinkingcoffee:

It doesn't seem like it. If I push the governor to make it rev up, it does the same thing when it hits a hard piece, just stalls out.
I'm pretty sure I cleaned this carb when I got it and it didn't change anything. It's the newer style Briggs that doesn't have a choke position, but it fires right up and sounds great.
I think it's a two stage, as that's what these 22ton huskees have always had, but it could have been changed I'd guess.
I'll check the set screw, is that also the pressure release valve?
I'll look at my valve this week to see if I have one or two set screws on it. It could be that your motor is not running at top RPM for the job of maybe is getting a bit tired.

Back