Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not care for a lot of mass produced coffee. Seems quality has gone way downhill in the past few years from places like Folgers, Maxwell, and so on. I agree BR is good stuff

I do like Camerons flavored coffees. Also any flavored coffee from the food section of Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

Oh man I remember when those coffee pouches came out....they were marketed to corporate America as a way to reduce liability from coffee burns. Corporations ended up spending millions on the machines and pouches not to mention their cost of office coffee increased 100 fold.

So the Sturgeon River chapter is our local MDHA...Sturgeon township is only about 10 miles from here. My late friend and neighbor was their president for years.

Over the past year they have supported many "jarring" billboards to raise awareness to the issue up here. Most people out of the wolf zone believe all the crap that the anti's spew about them only taking sick and weak and all of that horseshit. Funny thing too..the MDHA state HQ actually came back at the chapter to stop them (which makes no $en$e unle$$ $omeone i$ pulling $ome $tring$ at the HQ).

Just recently there was bill introduced (with bipartisan support amongst local representatives which NEVER happens up here for anything) that would automatically enact a wolf season any time they were not federally protected. I am sure our fair governor AKA "Little Brandon" will veto it.

This extremely mild winter has been a godsend for the very few deer we have left. They are able to get forage and also run away from wolves. Late winter is normally a tough time for deer because they cannot get enough food and the crusty snow allows wolves to catch them while they break through.
Stinks about the dogs. I think if we had them around here, we’d just shoot them start shoveling

As for the coffee, the makers come free if you buy the packets

Hmmm... you've been rooting around in my basement. I've got 3 of the single burner stoves... One from 1985 with the aluminum pot/carry case. That stove was great on my 3 1/2 month bicycle trip. Unfortunately, over the years it started leaking fuel and despite replacing everything that was replaceable I couldn't stop the leak. White gas flavored food is sort of Okay when you are really hungry but not so good for you otherwise.

That's a shame, I have a small collection of kerosene, and white gas lanterns. Have a few that leak around the crimps from the fuel tanks. Always wondered if they could be fixed. The one in particular we used out in thr horse barn for light (junk barn, never had horses in it as long as I could remember, And no electric was ever ran to it.) I kept it when we moved off the farm. Dug it out last time the power was out, stupid bottom tank seam leaks kerosene out of it. Just real slow, but enough I wasn't comfortable using it.

Thats great! Just what I wanted to hear. The red one in the pics is the one that leaks.

Here's a few pics of my collection, only thing I didn't dig out is the msr dragonfly stove. Wife has it buried pretty deep with the camping gear. We did a bunch of camping and backpacking through Florida's great cypress national preserve for our honeymoon. Didn't need it for heat at all, but sure beat finding wood for a fire whenever we wanted to eat. Noisey as all get out. One day when the kids are older I'd like to get back into backpacking, wife and I had a lot of fun doing it before we had kids.

Some of my collection of lanterns, lamps and the propane cook stoves. The little red dietz is the one I'd like to fix. Somewhere I have a larger black one that leaks at the same place.
You can seal the tank / font with caswells or radiator solder. A good cleaner for those is citric acid soak or vinegar to cut the old fuel and nasty gum

Grind mostly small local store whole bean, water in the pot the night before. Often my first cup is microwave from yesterdays pot.
Used some wood this year maybe 3 cord and burning pretty good again through next week at least. It'll be less than my typical 5 cord.
Farmer friend called, had an "oak" down in his field since last spring.
KIMG5979.JPG
One good van load a second smaller load. maybe 3/4 cord. Bottom 10' of the trunk was punk so threw that and the brush over the fence.
KIMG5983.JPG 8 lb splitting maul work.
He stopped while I was working, noticed the "Oak" was a Cherry, said hey there's a twin trunk oak over there, take that down if you want it.
KIMG5987.JPG
good cord n half, 30" ish easy bore cut drop in the field.
But really have SO MUCH in the racks already and other trees right to home need that cutting that I may not get to it.
There is also a good cord or two of mixed hardwood logs stacked, been there several years but looked like some still good, back right up to it.
Such problems....

FL gets cold... I was somewhere around Palmetto, FL the morning the Challenger blew up. I had a very heavy frost on the tent and stayed in the sleeping bag late... there was still a lot of frost after I got up.
View attachment 1163533View attachment 1163531
We were down there in mid to late August. No worries about frost, lol. Guess I should have mentioned that. I was down for a MACS convention in February years ago. I'm pretty sure me and Robby were the only ones walking around in tee shirts and shorts. Was 60 something degrees, and we left right before a snow storm hit back home. Was great in my book.

Grind mostly small local store whole bean, water in the pot the night before. Often my first cup is microwave from yesterdays pot.
Used some wood this year maybe 3 cord and burning pretty good again through next week at least. It'll be less than my typical 5 cord.
Farmer friend called, had an "oak" down in his field since last spring.
View attachment 1163537
One good van load a second smaller load. maybe 3/4 cord. Bottom 10' of the trunk was punk so threw that and the brush over the fence.
View attachment 1163538 8 lb splitting maul work.
He stopped while I was working, noticed the "Oak" was a Cherry, said hey there's a twin trunk oak over there, take that down if you want it.
View attachment 1163539
good cord n half, 30" ish easy bore cut drop in the field.
But really have SO MUCH in the racks already and other trees right to home need that cutting that I may not get to it.
There is also a good cord or two of mixed hardwood logs stacked, been there several years but looked like some still good, back right up to it.
Such problems....
Easy pickins for sure but I may be one up on you if my guy comes through! Supposed to get a knuckle boom truck full of oak logs sat in my pasture within a week. just logs , no top to mess with and best of all, 100' from a coffee pot, a bathroom and a short legged woman that's the best cook in the county! That last part will come in to play around lunch time. lol

Don't look now Matt, but we have Coywolves in NY! They are (on average) 20% Wolf, 10% Dog and Coyote. They can get 55 lbs larger than other Coyotes!

I can remember when we never saw Coyotes in NY, then there were Coy dogs (which I remember seeing), now Coyotes everywhere. It happens fast!

I can remember hunting in Upstate NY in farm country. I was in the middle of a large field, just crossing to get into the woods, and a large doe came charging right at me and passed a few feet away from me, going full speed! I was carrying my 870, but only had a Buck tag. I knew something was wrong, so i looked back where the doe entered the field and one brown and one black Coy dog entered. They saw me, stopped, and went back the other way. That smart doe used me for protection!

We were down there in mid to late August. No worries about frost, lol. Guess I should have mentioned that. I was down for a MACS convention in February years ago. I'm pretty sure me and Robby were the only ones walking around in tee shirts and shorts. Was 60 something degrees, and we left right before a snow storm hit back home. Was great in my book.
I was one of those guys in shorts and tee shirt in January and February in FL... At the same time there were literally people in winter coats in some areas. Apparently I still have good circulation... a couple weeks ago it was sunny and I wore shorts and a tee shirt when I went to the saw shop. I saw people in hats and coats so I looked at the temperature on my phone. It was 50°.... but the sun was warm so I was fine!

I’m way down on wood burnt this year I’m about 4 1/2 so far . Usually I burn 6-7 cord a season
We only burned about 1 1/3 cord in the fireplace so far this season. The prior couple of years it was more like 2-3 cords. I'm hoping to get through another 2/3 of a cord so I have room to move the last of the seasoned wood from my house to the Carmel area where we burn it.

Back