Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh boy, the Beast!!! Not my favorite, drank it like water back in high school.....Now I have a more refined pallet, Old Milwaukee Light, Great tasting beer! Was $11.50 for a dirty thirty last week, usually can pick up for $14.00 tho.

My brother has been homebrewing lately, since January he has brewed close to 300 gallons of beer. Anything from IPA's to blondes, kolsh. Did a Graff beer out of pure fresh apple juice. It is a little tart, but is getting better with a little age, it packs a punch. He made a Blue Moon clone beer that was spot on. A few great tasting American Ambers.

I used to home brew the old way but now with the kits it is much easier and the mixes are great.

Yeah, but a couple of the in-laws wanted a few batches, I did a few batches with him. Usually does 10 gallon batches. He even trades beer for eggs.....lol....bottles most of it, but has done a few kegs, uses old Pepsi kegs, lot faster
I think that would be a hell of a lot of fun to do.....maybe if I'm still above the soil by the time my kids are fledged I'll have time to try.

I used to home brew the old way but now with the kits it is much easier and the mixes are great.

He grinds his owns grains, started growing Hops this year. Nothing with kits. He said as of the 1st of the year, he is going to do all his own recipes. He really got into it, and will talk your ear off about the yeast and what they do, different hops, and on and on....heh

Yeah, but a couple of the in-laws wanted a few batches, I did a few batches with him. Usually does 10 gallon batches. He even trades beer for eggs.....lol....bottles most of it, but has done a few kegs, uses old Pepsi kegs, lot faster

40 years ago when I was doing it old style I was bottling in 1 quart glass bottles which were not even easy to find then. 7-up was one of the last to use the non-screw quart glass bottles and the other ones I used now have collector value. If I make more it will definitely be with the new system.

40 years ago when I was doing it old style I was bottling in 1 quart glass bottles which were not even easy to find then. 7-up was one of the last to use the non-screw quart glass bottles and the other ones I used now have collector value. If I make more it will definitely be with the new system.

Yeah quarts would be great, but they are not cheap. He found some nice 22 oz bottles that had a French Saisone in it....A lot less messing around the bigger bottles you get

No need for the pologies .
I tried to go scrounging today .

IMG_20151205_130424.jpg

But all I ran was ,

IMG_20151205_130546.jpg

IMG_20151205_151745.jpg

Not a stick of wood to throw in the truck :(

You killed all those X-mas tree!! :surprised3: Those would cost a fortune around here with the root ball attached. $100-$300 each.

Back at the scrounge site today. Cut a tall pine down for the home owner, wedges saved me on that one. Cut 2 oaks down to process tomorrow. 3 loads to little brothers also. All 3 looked like this one the 1st.

Attachments

• 20151205_122150.jpg
    20151205_122150.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 36
Actually did so much of a scrounge today that my arms, legs & back are all a little sore!

Started by bringing home a 1/2 cord of dead White Oak that still needs to be split (pic 1). Had to be carried up hill, put in a wheelbarrow, into the trailer, then unloaded at home. I cut that tree down early last year, and those rounds are still heavy as H***!

Then I dropped another White Oak for next year's firewood. Was about a 30" tree, my 28" bar would not reach through it. Had a lot of branches and was a ton of work to cut up. Really had to be careful not to pinch when doing the trunk, took a lot of extra time. All 5 saws got a good workout. Nice to have 2 w/20" and 2/w 24", when one finally dulls, you just pick up the next saw and keep going. Having the 28" bar on 044 #2 was also very useful on this one. Didn't start cutting it till 11:30, and this is what it looked like at the end of the day, not quite finished up, but mostly all cut. Those large rounds are even tough to roll. I'll take the stump lower next time there. I still have to drop a Cherry right next to it.

The owner also showed me the rest of his property today, and there is dead White Oak, Red Oak and Maple there for the taking if I want to do the work of taking out. Also found some real nice Buck sign! It is a bit of a remote access, and all the wood seems to be on the downhill!

Oh, I don't drink a lot of beer, but when I have one I prefer Sam Adams. Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• Wood12-5-15 007.jpg
    Wood12-5-15 007.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 51
  • Wood12-5-15 001.jpg
    Wood12-5-15 001.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 48
  • Wood12-5-15 002.jpg
    Wood12-5-15 002.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 53
  • Wood12-5-15 003.jpg
    Wood12-5-15 003.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 52
  • Wood12-5-15 004.jpg
    Wood12-5-15 004.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 53
  • Wood12-5-15 005.jpg
    Wood12-5-15 005.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 56
  • Wood12-5-15 006.jpg
    Wood12-5-15 006.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 43
no bud water for me it lacks in the taste department and bloats me i drink sam adams rebel ipa or boston lager. but i don't drink a lot maybe a 6 pack per year if that.
most of the time i drink cold unsweetened tea,water,milk,coffee maybe 2-3 pepsi colas per week.

Not really a scrounge, was out of wood and the old lady was cold. Brought it in from the machine shed. Went from this: Homemade crate is about 5' long, 4' wide and 4' tall

20151203_175513_zpsbgsga2yz.jpg

20151203_175526_zpsq2o982ic.jpg

to this:
20151203_194600_zpsknts9ff0.jpg

20151203_194537_zpsxecyb3rr.jpg

Brought about 34 rubbermaid tub loads. Should be close to a months heat....I hope.....it is about all silver maple
wow now that is a shop.

Speaking of sore....i was swinging my 390xp around on spurs for about 3 of 10 hours today.......my body hates me right now[emoji53]....a few Motrin and a few beers took the edge off[emoji3]

So, what the heck did you have to cut that would make you climb with a saw that large???

Back