Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old man and i have been gsme planning a winch of some kind since we ran into some monster elm a while back but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Suggestions what others have done are well appreciated.
Harbor freight winch? Get it done cheap and if its not a day to day tool you may be able to get away with a small investment. I have gotten some serious use from harbor freight tools. I have also had some spectacular failures.

Ahhh she looks just like I did as a kid. She only picked up a few features from her mom. You know all the good ones. But the is no denying she is mine [emoji1].

If she keeps going the way she is, she is going to be a heck of a woman and it will take a heck of a man to keep up. As it is, seems like she loves to work the firewood, she always helps load the stove, she picks the splits that go in. She helped butcher a deer and loved it, she wants to hunt, loves to scout, and is a heck of a shot with the nerf guns at 3.5. She likes fishing as well. Her favorite store is home depot. Ohh my.... I know lots of things change but a daddy can dream...

I can only assume you know how rare that is. You have sewn good seeds. Congratulations.

Happy New Year fella's! May your chainsaws always start and your scrounges never stop!

So what AS member has just one saw? LOL
I saw on the news this evening there was a Maine annual ocean swim. i thought I saw you climb from the water wearing a Speedo but decided it could not have been because there was no chainsaw. It is hell trying to swim with one, bad chain rash. Maybe next year. LOL

Well , hadn't been in the woods for a spell and neither had Poineerguy600 , yesterday afternoon was beautiful here so off we went :)
Both woods tractors hadn't been run for a spell so we figured there might be a bit of work involved , we were right .
I got my little Massey going but no sucess on the MF135 .
We decided to take the trucks up and get some logs we cut last winter and winched to the edge of an old logging road .
I decided to beat some of the snow down for Jerry so back and forth I went , learned a good lesson , don't scan the horizon looking for dead tops and leaners when close to the edge of the road LOL

IMG_20160102_144913.jpg

Nothing but wet clay type muck under that snow .
Jerry's boss came to the rescue .

IMG_20160102_152856.jpg

IMG_20160102_152852.jpg

I thanked Jerry's boss and told him that there would be no charge for trenching his ditch :laugh:
Even though most of the day was gone there was still a bit to go before sundown so off on the little MF1020 we went .

IMG_20160102_160051.jpg

Even made a couple of long winch runs with cable to spare .

IMG_20160102_164632.jpg

IMG_20160102_162809.jpg

We got some wood on the landing so here's my official start to wood scrounging 2016 :chainsaw:

IMG_20160102_163441.jpg

It was a great day , scrounge on gentleman :cheers:

Great scrounge right there! The county dump where I'm at is too far away for me to feasibly drive to. I'd use 3/4 tank of gas round trip in the gas hog Ford. Now that I've had it for a couple months, my best guess without actually putting a calculator to it is around 5 mpg.
got a thirsty 460 i take it :laughing::laughing:

I was going through this husky model 42 again, and I think I found the air leak. It has an unknown to me dealie for idle, a screw/spring that screws into the carb body, it isn't just a wedge moving the throttle arm. It wasn't in there, but luckily it was still floating around inside the airbox, so screwed it back in. Got it to start good and finally idle down and run better, then went to cutting with it and the clutch slips terrible, so, put it back in the rack, get some more parts. Switching to the 346xp ported, I started on the triple leader sweetgum, MAN, I like that saw. Ran a tank most out, got a ton of smalls and half the bigguns done. I'll have to go back and noodle it all to stove size..later. Bonus pic is you can see how we are in a big valley in the middle of the mountains, that view is to the west where you can see the mountains starting back up, to the east is the same but can't get pics from the trees that way. Sure is green for being January...

Attachments

• IMG_20160103_150458.jpg
    IMG_20160103_150458.jpg
    797.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20160103_104524.jpg
    IMG_20160103_104524.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 44
First major outing of the year today, and I didn't bring a phone or a camera. Dad and I laid down seven oak of various color, Red, Black, and White. All dead standing. Some not dead standing for very long as a couple trees were still pretty green. A couple of the others are ready to burn today. Got them laid down and bucked up, but they haven't seen the splitter yet. Still a boat load of dead standing over there that needs to be cut before it goes bad. I honestly feel like we could have a GTG over there and not cut all of it in a full day. I'm beat!

Latest posts

Back