Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calling all AS members with Huskys, FS is getting bored with his stihls and wants to run your saws "running huskies but only at GTG'S":laughing:.
Just admit it already, you want one, or do you only break out the good stuff for special occasions:chainsaw:.

I would bring some out to play, but I have some things local that I can't change. I will be a couple hrs closer over spring break though:).

The mini GTG was my idea. FS just supplied the wood. I need to get out of the house on my day off and what better way to spend it than running some saws on top of farmer steve's hill. I will be bringing the 365 for him to run. Actually I think I will be bring all of the saws just because, variety is nice. I am glad we could fit this GTG in before FS gets really busy doing his farmer thing. Planting season is coming.

@dancan How do you like that 18V Makita circular saw? I have a Dewalt drill and impact driver but the batteries are just about done. The charger only brings the battery to less than 8 volts. Damn replacement batteries are almost as much as new tool sets. I think I may switch over to electric tools.

I have a new house 2x6 construction and insulated well. I even put sm board on the outside of the foundation and parged over it.

What is sm board? Is the interior foundation walls insulated as well? Attic, crawlspace, and basement insulation is on my to do list this year. My Englander 30-NCH isn't performing like I hoped. I may sell it and buy the Ideal Steel in a few months. Hybrid tech so it will give long burn times and still achieve really hot fires when I need it.

Cutting firewood almost has to be a hobby or "enjoyed exercise" cause if you figure your time, there is no money in it. I guess I'm fortunate to be in a not so rural area where most people don't have a clue as to how to run a chainsaw.

I don't need to burn wood any more because we have natural gas, but a lot of people around here with Oil heat still save a lot burning wood, including my daughter!

I wish I had natural gas. If I had it I would probably give up burning firewood. I've had three firewood stack avalanches so far. I freaking hate wasting time restacking crap. Should have stopped around 4ft but made the stacks a bit over 6ft high.

Going to do a full day of cutting on Monday. Finally got the saw out a bit this past weekend to sharpen the chain and ran it for a bit. Forgot how much I love the way it cuts lol. I need to sell the Poulan and get the Echo running. Anyone want a slightly hard to find PP 365?

@dancan How do you like that 18V Makita circular saw? I have a Dewalt drill and impact driver but the batteries are just about done. The charger only brings the battery to less than 8 volts. Damn replacement batteries are almost as much as new tool sets. I think I may switch over to electric tools.

What is sm board? Is the interior foundation walls insulated as well? Attic, crawlspace, and basement insulation is on my to do list this year. My Englander 30-NCH isn't performing like I hoped. I may sell it and buy the Ideal Steel in a few months. Hybrid tech so it will give long burn times and still achieve really hot fires when I need it.

I wish I had natural gas. If I had it I would probably give up burning firewood. I've had three firewood stack avalanches so far. I freaking hate wasting time restacking crap. Should have stopped around 4ft but made the stacks a bit over 6ft high.

Going to do a full day of cutting on Monday. Finally got the saw out a bit this past weekend to sharpen the chain and ran it for a bit. Forgot how much I love the way it cuts lol. I need to sell the Poulan and get the Echo running. Anyone want a slightly hard to find PP 365?
Sm is a hard foam insulation. Interior is also studded and insulated.

View attachment 488710 View attachment 488709 I scrounged a little wood in the neighborhood today. I got to try out my new to me 064/066 MM hybrid. It is MEAN!36" poplar
I just realized this was a super scrounge! This tree fell and hit my house! It wiped out my grill, patio furniture, stair railing etc. Insurance guy was nice and paid me $500 for tree clean-up, besides replacing our stuff. That means I got paid for cutting up close by free wood. Now that is pretty cool.
image_8.jpg

Back