Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a round from oakzilla jr.(still a big trunk stub in the yard), just a baby compared to oakzilla, at only 4 foot diameter..then showing it fully split and stacked, 80 splits even, four wheelbarrow loads. This is my close to the house polar vortex pallet, starting to reload it.

Attachments

• IMG_20160327_173858.jpg
    IMG_20160327_173858.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20160327_183121.jpg
    IMG_20160327_183121.jpg
    765.9 KB · Views: 75
New meaning to 'Zogger wood'!

Philbert

HAHAHA! I actually am looking forward to the time, maybe this summer, when I am done with this whopper wood and get to cut some smalls.

Anyway, haven't started any of the full size oakzilla rounds yet, still working slowly on the branches, seems like with 80 splits from a single four footer, I should crack 100 splits easy from one of the really big ones.

That Capri looks very familiar Neil, when I was in college and had a 68 390 Mustang GT, a guy gave me a ride in one to impress me with it's handling.

It may have influenced me to get the 70 Boss 302 Mustang Body, which handled pretty well with BFG Radial Trans Ams on it even though I stuffed a 427 Ford engine under the hood. At the time, the Trans Ams were the ONLY wide radial tire you could buy, and they were new on the market. The big craze in tires at the time was the belted wide oval, took the radials a little time to catch on! I mounted them on 15 X 7 Keystone Mags.

The attached scanned pics include my 70 Boss Mustang (Blue), my 68 Factory 428 CJ (Black), and some of my old friends at a party long ago!
Cool pics

This scrounge was standing. Eastern Redbud, Co-worker asked if I could drop it, had to look at it first. Mostly dead leaning toward the street. Took the 3 trunks in front, left the one all the way in back. Nice and hard from 6' down. The stump was a 3 part affair, covered in dirt and it absolutely ate my chain for lunch. I had to resharpen to finish it.

IMG_20160323_171125789_zpsaticpoal.jpg

There's still part of Sundays scrounge under the Redbud.
IMG_20160323_191317082_zpsmlspiztv.jpg

IMG_20160323_191334554_zpso9iawou5.jpg

> I had to resharpen to finish it.

love those files!! ;)

Made some big maple logs small maple chunks tonight. 3 1/2 tanks through the 365. I am still looking for the right L needle setting. I will find it eventually. I need to use a chain and the truck to stand that huge stump round up tomorrow. Looks like a challenge. Then just need to haul it home and do some saw dust consolidation.

66c7459f8f8ba1ac45fbec8a00908a13.jpg

0f84f2591c45d4fac88b443d3cdf639d.jpg

Visited my Dad yesterday on the farm. Learned he had a local Amish guy cut a couple acres of hillside:

IMG_7341.JPG

Because it was starting to impinge on their view from their back porch:

P1060587.JPG

There is a little ash in there, and a couple wild cherry trees, but most of it is fast growing, low density trees from a poplar family that I don't actually recognize. Anyone in Southern Lancaster County looking for low cost (not no cost though, he wants to recover the cost of the cutting) access to about an acre and a half of tangled trunks? The top section in the picture would be pretty easy to get to. Most is down over a hill side along a powerline.

Visited my Dad yesterday on the farm. Learned he had a local Amish guy cut a couple acres of hillside:

View attachment 495219

Because it was starting to impinge on their view from their back porch:

View attachment 495220

There is a little ash in there, and a couple wild cherry trees, but most of it is fast growing, low density trees from a poplar family that I don't actually recognize. Anyone in Southern Lancaster County looking for low cost (not no cost though, he wants to recover the cost of the cutting) access to about an acre and a half of tangled trunks? The top section in the picture would be pretty easy to get to. Most is down over a hill side along a powerline.

Normally I kind of frown on cutting trees for a view. It never ends, however in this case it is perfectly understandable. That is a heck of a view but I am a little disturbed with the power line adding a little clutter. Do you think maybe it could be taken down? LOL

Normally I kind of frown on cutting trees for a view. It never ends, however in this case it is perfectly understandable. That is a heck of a view but I am a little disturbed with the power line adding a little clutter. Do you think maybe it could be taken down? LOL
I have the sense the purpose of the hydroelectric dam might be served by the power lines. But I can check.

Ok you asked for photos, so here's my Good Friday scrounge. Off i went to my usual collection spot, its a local tree service guy that clearly doesn't have a yard and doesn't process or sell the soft wood he gets and doesn't want to just dump it (commercial waste rates are about £100/ton so i can see why!) He advertises on gumtree (equivalent to craigs list) and just leaves it stacked, free to collect, outside his apartment. Its under 4 miles but in london traffic thats 20 mins drive.

back home, tail not dragging but it is well down.
25966282761_31260b958c_z.jpg

and this is why
25430152373_4d1ffe54cc_z.jpg

I unloaded then headed back for a second load. this is my haul from the 2 loads. its mainly pine/conifer, with just a few crotchy bits of somethng else. most is leylandii or leyland cypress. Over here it gets grown a lot by homeowners as a hedge...but all too often it isn't maintained and it soon tackes off into big trees, and urban tree service guys are constantly trimming or felling them. It should burn quite well but it needs to be well seasoned as its full of resin. Some of this load was dead/dieing standing though i think as it was quite dry already. I'm awful at estimating, but maybe 1/4 of a cord here
25966282271_4713b53e7f_z.jpg

after lunch the saw cam out :chainsaw:...the really really big saw :laughing: and i got to bucking to sub 12" lengths for the stove
25427911074_a0a5452fc4_z.jpg

3 tanks of fuel later (that's a whole 3/4 of a litre in the big saw :dancing:) I'd bucked it all, and noodled some crotchety bits from before that had defeated the X27
25759827670_affdb9688f_z.jpg

and a pile of chips and noodles
25759831300_5c1785bde4_z.jpg

made the most of the sunshine....normal UK Easter bank holiday weather returns tomorrow....Heavy wind and rain tomorow, then Storm Katy hits with even more on Monday, booo. My garden is a swamp anyway. This is the first year the Met Office has named our winter storms but my oh my, they've been in the news...making the news. We've had a mild winter, very very mild with hardly even a frost in London until February, but its been wet! Lots of floods elsewhere in the UK, some places got flooded 3 times this winter!

Right...hope those photos appear........

"what-O!?"....

omg LN! if you don't mind my saying: you are a regular ol 'backyard lumberjack!' :) lol... good haul, and great pix, foto essay and bylines, too. nice saw, btw!!! careful with the 'chips and noodles' comment... doubt many will be thinking VN noodle soup... but chips? some may be looking for the fried fish, though!!! :laughing: lol. enjoyed the tid bits of info re London today, etc. 20 min drive for 4 miles! wow... i am surprised nobody has commented about the steering wheel being on the R side... ;)

keep on posting, CSS... and of course, more pix... LN at the fish n chips shoppe, LN at the local pub... LN driving on R side of roadway... LN at zeh-bra crossing... lol, etc...

" . . . down over a hill side along a powerline . . ." could complicate access for miscellaneous wood you have to pay for and process. Unless there is good road access, or a heck of a winch system.

Philbert

Dad told me the mule team had no trouble getting down and back.

Dad told me the mule team had no trouble getting down and back.

I once worked with a guy whose grandfather worked mules a lot. I sat and listened to retold mule stories often. Quite the pulling machine and some humorous sideline trivia. He said it was difficult to get a mule up once he layed down if you didn't know the correct procedure. Sounded quite simple though. He said all a guy had to do was pee in the mules ear and up he jumped. I can imagine a bit of strategy involved as to where to stand during the process. LOL

Latest posts

Back