Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was my second guess. My Uncle with the farm had 7 kids, so some looked like his kids, and some looked like his grand kids!

Nice Pic none the less. Some of the old pics of me and my brother up on the farm when we were kids seem to have vanished, it breaks my heart. I can still see them in my mind, but can't share them with anyone.

I'll bet that day is still a treasured memory for you.

I don't remember a lot of things from those days, but I treasure all my time with my grandpa. I was lucky to grow up in the same house as my dad, his dad (my grandpa and the guy in the picture) and his Dad, who came to my wedding at 106 years old. The only reason I have some of these pictures is that they never moved, they were in a large wood box that I still have. Every once in a while, on a rainy day, I go through a stack of the pictures. History is awesome. In order to not distract this thread any more than I might have already, I'll start another "Old Pictures" thread next rainy day. Thanks for the comments and likes.

Got my M36 back up and running today. Cut a few cookies to test out the new 3/8 lo-pro bar and chain setup. Works nice. No more dinking around with quick to dull, expensive 1/4 pitch chain.

Unfortubately my 350 project saw needs p and c. Not sure where to go from here with that one.
Cheap p and c kits out there for that saw.

Hey guys, haven't been on for awhile, my wife and I are in the process of moving. I've been working on the house getting it ready to sell since mid February, and the first order of business was to remove my buck stove, they ain't getting to keep that one!

Hopefully the new place will have flatter, easier wood splitting and stacking areas. That has always been a big issue for me at our current place. Here's hoping I get to scrounge and stack at a new place this summer.

Our current place is under contract, had 4 offers on the first day. Signed one that was $5k over our asking price! Lord willing all goes smooth we should be out in mid may. Now to find a place with a wood burner already installed so I can put my Fs21 in the man cave...

Well since Good Friday I've done two more collection trips to my source, in the evenings. Traffic is quieter and it saves a few minutes each way. I've now collected and bucked up half a cord, maybe a little more. It's all been soft conifer though. Hopefully I'll get something different soon. I don't like burning just conifer, too much resin, although I season for 2 summers so creosote isn't really an issue.
At least this conifer looks very straight grained and simple to split.

With a 550 and a 562, be tough to want another saw in the 50-60 range. I'd be pondering a 30 dollar kit, make it run for 3 minutes and sell that sucker to fund a nice light limbing saw.
You have a very good point.

I'm already $75 into this saw not counting the new b+c that I could still return. And it needs a new brake band. :nofunny:

At the same point I could have a real ripper of a little saw if I threw some cash at it.

Decisions.

Rain for this weekend ,,,, Bleh .
The weatherguessers said it would start in the afternoon , I guess 11:00 am is close
angry.png

I had some stuff to do to the tractor so I got that done while getting a little damp , after I put the tools away I decided to take a drive passed the gate to see if winter was kind to me .
It was :)

IMG_20160402_140003.jpg

IMG_20160402_135730.jpg

IMG_20160402_135725.jpg

The rain was on and off so on my way out I figured why go home empty handed LOL
A bit of roadside maple .

IMG_20160402_145349.jpg

This spruce was right at the edge of the road so I figured I wouldn't get too wet in between the on and off .

IMG_20160402_140324.jpg

IMG_20160402_142248.jpg

Even did it old school and drug some out that weren't so close .

IMG_20160402_151140.jpg

IMG_20160402_151753.jpg

I picked up 2 rows of wood in the truck on the way out , coulda had a full load but I ran outta time .
The dead standing spruce is ready to burn , some in the furnace right now as I type :)
Yup , got wet but it was nice that the wet gloves didn't make for cold miserable hands .

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC

Wow guys, been a while.
I'm caught up on all my reading here.
Here's a nice load I got this week from one of the electric companies sub stations. I will go back and get some stuff that has been there a while thats ready to burn, but it's in the city and no one has touched it for yrs so I don't think it will walk away.20160401_110834.jpg Same load at the house. The pile is getting a little bigger, and all this is now on it.1459529914031.jpg Looking to do about another 95+ cord this yr.

Back