Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife says I would buy anything as long as it was at an auction. Stopped in at a local nursery that has an auction sale every year, just to take a look. Bought almost 100 trees, various types and sizes, got some ornamental grass too. She was with me and even bought some herself. Glad I made a tree spade for my tractor last year, too bad I let someone borrow it, they didn't bring it back and now can't remember who it was. Used the trusty forks on the tractor to at least loosen the soil to make it a bit easier. Future firewood for my grandchildren I guess. Sale was at a sawmill, I spent more time nosing around the portable mills than the sale. He has stacks of ash all over the place. This is the mill that I used to buy my firewood logs from.
View attachment 502472 View attachment 502473
Nice grab Cantoo

In case you guys were wondering If I took a day off from scrounging , I didn't ;)

I went out yesterday afternoon to pick up some stuff that I cut a year or so ago , this is the first time I've had the tractor behind the gate in a long time .

IMG_20160521_112805.jpg

IMG_20160521_120612.jpg

I picked up what I had cut and found a ton more to cut :)

IMG_20160521_124924.jpg

IMG_20160521_122848.jpg

IMG_20160521_123003.jpg

Leaners and dead standing , even had some help from my porky pets as they have cleaned the tops from several hardwoods .

IMG_20160521_122942.jpg

So , inventory taken I headed back .

IMG_20160521_130958.jpg

There was a patch of spruce that was hit hard by winds , it's next on the scrounge list :)

IMG_20160521_130236.jpg

IMG_20160521_130220.jpg

So , heading back to the road I have to head uphill , it's too steep for my little tractor so I headed off at an angle to try and find a good spot to get back on the road .
All was going great until I got fetched up in some deeper than the tractor could navigate skidder/porter tire ruts with a big boulder behind me , I was between a rock and a hardplace LOL
I had to call Jerry to come tow me out .

IMG_20160521_162146.jpg

We winched the trailer out as well .

IMG_20160521_163602.jpg

IMG_20160521_163607.jpg

IMG_20160521_171502.jpg

It was a great day :)

Nice up here this afternoon so I went back for more punishment .
After we got the tractor and trailer on terra firma we scouted for a better path .
Here is where the new path will be .

IMG_20160522_132102.jpg

IMG_20160522_140641.jpg

I found four more dead blowdowns on the side of the trail , I delimbed and got them ready for winching at a later date .

IMG_20160522_143936.jpg

It started to rain so I headed for the hills lol

IMG_20160522_152547.jpg

More black spruce for the wood pile and I didn't get stuck this time :)

Boy I sure missed a lot being gone for two days. Very nice posts about fathers, hopefully this discussion brightened the spirits of those in need. I lost my dad at age 20. We were still butting heads as most fathers/sons do at that age but I was starting to come around. I always respected him but have so much more respect after attending the school of hard knocks.

Really busy weekend. Did front brakes on my Yukon which would have been straightforward if I didn't break parts and tools during disassembly due to rust and corrosion. Then I changed the oil which ended up taking about three hours. Idiots at Valvoline who did my last oil change must have put the filter on with a wrench as it was STUCK. Wrecked two different oil filter wrenches then totally destroyed the filter trying to get it off. Even pounding with a drift punch wouldn't budge it so I had to fire up the torch and melt the gasket which finally caused it to come off. What a clusterF.

image.jpeg

Then I helped the wife clean the garage. We got a bunch of stuff gone through and stacked in a somewhat organized manner.

Finally closed the evening by mowing and trimming before it was time for a fire and drinks at the neighbors.

Today I had a bunch of small projects with the biggest being replacing several sprinkler heads on my lawn irrigation system.

Cut the last of my logs yesterday, mowed, trimmed. Went fishing this morning but motor gave me trouble before I could catch any fish. Made it most of the way back on one cyl and took the electric the rest of the way in. Came home to find wife had ordered 3 yards of river rock for a garden project and spent the rest of the day doing that. Dang boat motor!image.jpegimage.jpeg

Cut down a Chestnut Oak today, and yes I took some damn pictures, but my computer involuntarily updated to Windows 10 and my DROID also updated and I can no longer figure out how to get the pics from the phone to the computer (and tech support was no help, they just just put them in a cloud)!!!

I'll be up at the cabin tomorrow, maybe figure it out after that ... these damn upgrades want to make me smash things!!!!

Cut down a Chestnut Oak today, and yes I took some damn pictures, but my computer involuntarily updated to Windows 10 and my DROID also updated and I can no longer figure out how to get the pics from the phone to the computer (and tech support was no help, they just just put them in a cloud)!!!

I'll be up at the cabin tomorrow, maybe figure it out after that ... these damn upgrades want to make me smash things!!!!
I hear you I hate when my phone upgrades and menus disappear....

Haven't been doing wood lately but I did do some scrounging and repurposing in my scrap steel pile. My wife took a load away a few weeks ago but I still managed to make it look presentable. My grandson loves minions but he wasn't real keen on this one. Once he decided he doesn't want his picture taken there is no stopping him. Maybe I should have made it a little smaller. I have to get some high heat paint and make my wife paint it yet but the 1st firing seemed to work good enough.
IMG_6752.JPG IMG_6762.JPG

Also built a firewood wagon for my son's boss. Started out with a 30' camper trailer frame and cut it down to 21', Bins are 17 1/2" square for a total of 48 bins. He sells slab wood so this should make it a little easier and more consistent. Made of 2x 12's and plywood backs. I made it so I could add a tarp roof later if needed.
IMG_20160521_105540.jpg

130' of E. saligna.
Plus a bit more for the fuzz on top.
Have coveted that burl for about 2yrs now. It's a very special find, me thinks.
Were two other trees tangled up with this one so dropped them all together. Seemed like the safest option as it's a steep gulley and I had limited escape routes if it started raining limbs.

tmp_9572-IMG_20160523_105932899835591325.jpg

tmp_9572-IMG_20160523_1100090081374420784.jpg

Life really sucks sometimes, and I still have many questions but I do believe God is good.

we are not asked to understand, we are merely asked to believe... imo... one only needs to look at the beauty and complexity of a human kidney... its structure, design... and function... then sit back and say: " sure, all that happened random selection... merely thru evolution!"

yeah, right...

So , heading back to the road I have to head uphill , it's too steep for my little tractor so I headed off at an angle to try and find a good spot to get back on the road .
All was going great until I got fetched up in some deeper than the tractor could navigate skidder/porter tire ruts with a big boulder behind me , I was between a rock and a hardplace LOL
I had to call Jerry to come tow me out .

IMG_20160521_162146.jpg

We winched the trailer out as well .

IMG_20160521_163602.jpg

IMG_20160521_163607.jpg

IMG_20160521_171502.jpg

It was a great day :)

that's some good logging, there dancan! good pix, lots to scrounge, some HD equipment... and wood left to season since last year! :) lumberjackin' at it's best, imo... scale is of no importance when the ops are as shown here... even chains on the tractor!!! BL's fav kinda tractor!! lol ;) these are the kind a pix, foto essays... I never get tired of... thanks for the cool views.... :cool:

Latest posts

Back