Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
next tuesday my wife is off work and I am free to work without the kids

Tomorrow the wife and puppies are joining me for a trip up to the cabin. Mostly, we will just hike around and enjoy the get away. It takes just over 2 hrs each way w/o the trailer. Adding the trailer makes it 2.5 hrs, slower on the hwy, and way slower going up the Mtn.

I like the chevys as well, but the fords are great work machines.
I don't have anything saved on my computer right now except these right now.
Tell me your zip and I can see what I can find when I get a min.
http://centralmich.craigslist.org/cto/5563374028.html
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/5601124264.html

Hey my zip code is 47396.... Yes those days without the woman and kid for me I about brake my back getting so much done.... I feel like I need to catch up so I over work myself...

Ya know its crazy I put an ad out a year ago on CL that a tree service/homeowner can dump wood..... I actually had a guy that has semi loads of wood call me and say he was going to bring his excess wood out... Well he never did... I have only had one guy bring out wood and it was some elm.... I am not complaining as I will take what ever they have.... I just thought it would be a win---win for both parties, but obviously not around here......

Any way hey chipper her is a pic of a truck I almost am considering.... It's a 04 Chevy 2500 4x4..... It has 154,000 miles, and that's the only thing holding me back..... They are asking $6,300, and it does have a dent in one side of the passenger side bed... Frame looks good, the miles just scare me..... I have asked guys about this model of truck, and the guys I talk to say the 6.0 motor In This truck is a damn good one...I mean buying used a guy never knows!!!
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hey my zip code is 47396.... Yes those days without the woman and kid for me I about brake my back getting so much done.... I feel like I need to catch up so I over work myself...

Ya know its crazy I put an ad out a year ago on CL that a tree service/homeowner can dump wood..... I actually had a guy that has semi loads of wood call me and say he was going to bring his excess wood out... Well he never did... I have only had one guy bring out wood and it was some elm.... I am not complaining as I will take what ever they have.... I just thought it would be a win---win for both parties, but obviously not around here......

Any way hey chipper her is a pic of a truck I almost am considering.... It's a 04 Chevy 2500 4x4..... It has 154,000 miles, and that's the only thing holding me back..... They are asking $6,300, and it does have a dent in one side of the passenger side bed... Frame looks good, the miles just scare me..... I have asked guys about this model of truck, and the guys I talk to say the 6.0 motor In This truck is a damn good one...I mean buying used a guy never knows!!!
View attachment 507314 View attachment 507315
I am a Ford guy but that 6.0 is a great motor. Brother in law has a 2007 and he hauled a 6x12 dump trailer with about 6 cord of maple in it up a steep hill out of the woods with a 4 wheeler in the bed. I stopped on the hill with my truck and the dash thingy said 15 degree hill! Made me a believer.

I am a Ford guy but that 6.0 is a great motor. Brother in law has a 2007 and he hauled a 6x12 dump trailer with about 6 cord of maple in it up a steep hill out of the woods with a 4 wheeler in the bed. I stopped on the hill with my truck and the dash thingy said 15 degree hill! Made me a believer.

Ya I have heard literally all good about the trucks... And I see them around here with 200,000 miles and they still say they run good..... This truck has 3" dual exghuast, long tube headers, and a mild cam.... Can any of you guys tell me if these modifications are good or bad....

Ya I have heard literally all good about the trucks... And I see them around here with 200,000 miles and they still say they run good..... This truck has 3" dual exghuast, long tube headers, and a mild cam.... Can any of you guys tell me if these modifications are good or bad....

I would be jumping on that deal if it looks clean all around. Those year trucks do have an issue with the transfer case known as pump rub but I wouldn't let that hold me back one bit. They're not quite as easy to change out as the half tons are but it's still simple. If all fluids look good you might as well put it in your driveway. I'm not bashing Ford by saying this, but the GM trucks are easier to work on.

Not sure how you all do things down south that far lol. Up in these part 150k is just getting started. The 6.0 is an excellent motor. The main thing that goes wrong is the water pump (I have a brand new one here if you ever need it:laugh:). That truck is a fair price if everything checks out on it. I would run a car fax if I was spending that much on it. I'm not sure, but the body line looks to be opening up between the bed and the cab on the top looking from the driver's side. Normally that is caused by a tweaked frame from plowing.
Do you have to do emissions testing. The 6.0 has a lot of CELs that pop up for random misfire, that are very difficult to eliminate. That being said if you don't have to do emissions testing they just keep on running just like you've heard CELs or not. Also it should be equipped with the Allison trans which is just as bullet proof as the engine.
Some of the things that go wrong on this body style are the dash cluster., it's electronic and the step motors go out, or flake out, I have a guy here who rebuilds and certifies them for $125 includes replacing all step motors and all lights in the cluster. The resistor goes out for the heat and the heat will only blow on hi or low, not 2 or 3. They only get about 10-12mpg, but they do that no matter what you are pulling.
I don't like mods on the stuff I buy, but you can find stock exhaust from the diesels, I may have one I can get from the cat back for 1oo that is in very good condition. You better not have to do emissions testing with those mods or you will be in trouble.
They do not come close to a diesel but will still get the job done.
I have a buddy I haven't seen in yrs who is a mechanic down in Indy, I can get in touch with if you need something inspected, he may also know where some deals are.
Here's one right by you that has 228k on it.1465451098517.jpg
I liked the crew cab, but hated the milage. Wouldn't mind having mine back if it was a 4x4. Mine was from Louisiana and had no rust just a nice layer of red clay undercoating lol.
IMAG0678.jpg

I would be jumping on that deal if it looks clean all around. Those year trucks do have an issue with the transfer case known as pump rub but I wouldn't let that hold me back one bit. They're not quite as easy to change out as the half tons are but it's still simple. If all fluids look good you might as well put it in your driveway. I'm not bashing Ford by saying this, but the GM trucks are easier to work on.
Agreed Cody.
I can get those transfer cases dropped and rebuilt for less than it makes sense for me to do.
So you mean that pulling the cab off to do a head gasket is hard LOL.
I still miss my 99 super duty crew 4x4 short box, what a pulling machine with the 7.3 :rock:.

You better have someone who knows these trucks look that thing over.
It doesn't look like 3" pipe on there to me. I would also see if he has the original parts.
The main reasons people get rid of these trucks is the cost of fuel, but I would recommend having it looked over at a shop that has no interest in giving it a thumbs up.
Have you made the guy any offers.
Where does he have it listed for sale.
I don't see it on any of my normal searches.
Got it.
http://muncie.craigslist.org/cto/5623800610.html

Tomorrow the wife and puppies are joining me for a trip up to the cabin. Mostly, we will just hike around and enjoy the get away. It takes just over 2 hrs each way w/o the trailer. Adding the trailer makes it 2.5 hrs, slower on the hwy, and way slower going up the Mtn.

:yes:

today's scrounge:

today's scrounge was hardly a scrounge of noteworthy proportions by most stadards... but, in any event... an awesome scrounge to say the least, imo... some very nice camp fire oak... and even starters, too! :D ... where?... out down the valley road to the forest dept clearing section? no... up topside scrounge mountain, 90 miles drive trailer, saws and vans... crew? no... out in the forest other side of the lake? no... where you say? why right next door, actually across the street! :p imo, homerun stuff... 20 mins later after finding this scrounge and the limbs lying in neighbor's front yard (removed with persmission) cost to scrounge: $0.00! fuels used: $0.00. gasoline to scrounge area: $0.00. time to service and resharpen saws: 0.00! all in all... my kinda scrounge! so u can see it in my 10 cu ft dual wheel wheelbarrow. I consider it a pretty good 'gimmie'... since it will get 5-6 camp fires going for me... and then some oak stix splits, chunks after that for some nice warm heat... on these very warm 90F days... lol ;)

today's scrounge, some nice 'seasoned' oak...
P1010003.JPG

here's hoping all your scrounge's are good ones, too. ! ~

Hey guys, I am still hanging around I just havent done any scrounging for a few months. Heck I haven't worked the wood pile in months. Momma bear is slowing down with this second kiddo dew july 24th and she has been doing lots of extra OT at work so its been all that I can do to pick up the slack around home. Any free time I have, I have been spending at the trout stream trying to figure out my new expensive hobby, fly fishing. I hope everyone has been safe. Scrounge on gentlemen.

Not sure how you all do things down south that far lol. Up in these part 150k is just getting started. The 6.0 is an excellent motor. The main thing that goes wrong is the water pump (I have a brand new one here if you ever need it:laugh:). That truck is a fair price if everything checks out on it. I would run a car fax if I was spending that much on it. I'm not sure, but the body line looks to be opening up between the bed and the cab on the top looking from the driver's side. Normally that is caused by a tweaked frame from plowing.
Do you have to do emissions testing. The 6.0 has a lot of CELs that pop up for random misfire, that are very difficult to eliminate. That being said if you don't have to do emissions testing they just keep on running just like you've heard CELs or not. Also it should be equipped with the Allison trans which is just as bullet proof as the engine.
Some of the things that go wrong on this body style are the dash cluster., it's electronic and the step motors go out, or flake out, I have a guy here who rebuilds and certifies them for $125 includes replacing all step motors and all lights in the cluster. The resistor goes out for the heat and the heat will only blow on hi or low, not 2 or 3. They only get about 10-12mpg, but they do that no matter what you are pulling.
I don't like mods on the stuff I buy, but you can find stock exhaust from the diesels, I may have one I can get from the cat back for 1oo that is in very good condition. You better not have to do emissions testing with those mods or you will be in trouble.
They do not come close to a diesel but will still get the job done.
I have a buddy I haven't seen in yrs who is a mechanic down in Indy, I can get in touch with if you need something inspected, he may also know where some deals are.
Here's one right by you that has 228k on it.View attachment 507344
I liked the crew cab, but hated the milage. Wouldn't mind having mine back if it was a 4x4. Mine was from Louisiana and had no rust just a nice layer of red clay undercoating lol.
View attachment 507345

Hey I really appriciate all the info from you and others......ya know I like th the truck I mean I guess the 154k miles does scare, even though I see this style of truck for sale with 200k for sale all the time..... Lithe people even say the truck still runs great.....the mileage don't bother me as I am only 10-14 miles from my work...

Do you know anything about the long tube headers, or the mild can?????...... I do maintenance like brakes, Replaced leaf springs, but I don't really get into the motor mods.....does anyone know if the long tube headers and mild cam are a good thing....I mean I don't care how fast this truck will go, I just want it to be able to haul a lot in the bed and pull a trailer!!!!!...... Here are a few more pics, the passenger side does have a dent in front of the rear tire...
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Oh I am sorry chipper look under muncie indiana craigslist, and type in Chevy 2500 in the search box...
I found it last night.
I like stock parts rather than the after market for reliability. I don't do as many mods on my vehicles these days because many of the after market parts are of lower quality and will require more frequent maintenance and I would rather not work on my vehicles if I don't have to(little lazy, little bit I don't like to get dirty LOL). with a long tube header it will typically raise the max hp/torque and it also raises the rpm at which those # come. So if it has 300hp stock it may increase the hp to 310(may lol) and if the 300 hp was previously at 4000 rpm then the long tube headers the 310 hp may be a bit higher like 4250 rpm.
The cam could have the similar effects. The air intake(looks like it has a K&N on it:)), will have had to been changed out to recognize max possible gains in hp/torque. Between the three I would guess you could see gains in hp ranging from 20hp to 40hp. Without knowing what fresh air intake, headers, and cam(and how it was timed advanced or standard) there is now way to predict the outcome and even then it is subject to many variables in the engine and the rest of the exhaust.
One of the downfalls of separating the duals is you loose some torque typically which is what gets the work done for pulling and such. I would install an "H pipe", or an "X pipe"(equalizer pipe) in between the two, there is a lot of info about this on the net.
I would guess with an x pipe gains could go up to 30-50hp, but that is speculation only (these results are not typical, volumetric efficiency may increase based on blah blah blah small print LOL).
I would still want to see the car fax for this truck if I was dropping that much coin. Looks good for the price, but you should have some cash set aside for "new vehicle to you" repairs.

I found it last night.
I like stock parts rather than the after market for reliability. I don't do as many mods on my vehicles these days because many of the after market parts are of lower quality and will require more frequent maintenance and I would rather not work on my vehicles if I don't have to(little lazy, little bit I don't like to get dirty LOL). with a long tube header it will typically raise the max hp/torque and it also raises the rpm at which those # come. So if it has 300hp stock it may increase the hp to 310(may lol) and if the 300 hp was previously at 4000 rpm then the long tube headers the 310 hp may be a bit higher like 4250 rpm.
The cam could have the similar effects. The air intake(looks like it has a K&N on it:)), will have had to been changed out to recognize max possible gains in hp/torque. Between the three I would guess you could see gains in hp ranging from 20hp to 40hp. Without knowing what fresh air intake, headers, and cam(and how it was timed advanced or standard) there is now way to predict the outcome and even then it is subject to many variables in the engine and the rest of the exhaust.
One of the downfalls of separating the duals is you loose some torque typically which is what gets the work done for pulling and such. I would install an "H pipe", or an "X pipe"(equalizer pipe) in between the two, there is a lot of info about this on the net.
I would guess with an x pipe gains could go up to 30-50hp, but that is speculation only (these results are not typical, volumetric efficiency may increase based on blah blah blah small print LOL).
I would still want to see the car fax for this truck if I was dropping that much coin. Looks good for the price, but you should have some cash set aside for "new vehicle to you" repairs.

Ok thanks a lot.... I just don't know that much about those mods they did.... Ya I mean it seems like a decent deal, but buying used you just never know....I would have to think on it for awhile!!!!

Hey guys, I am still hanging around I just havent done any scrounging for a few months. Heck I haven't worked the wood pile in months. Momma bear is slowing down with this second kiddo dew july 24th and she has been doing lots of extra OT at work so its been all that I can do to pick up the slack around home. Any free time I have, I have been spending at the trout stream trying to figure out my new expensive hobby, fly fishing. I hope everyone has been safe. Scrounge on gentlemen.

~ !!! ~

Also found these other listings by him.
I copied and pasted "Any questions calls only please. I dont recieve text messages.I'm not interested in trades."
Which was the ending of his post, when I'm looking at a specific item I like to find out as much as I can about the individual or dealer, which he appears to be before even calling and certainly before buying.
http://muncie.craigslist.org/search...sages. I'm not interested in trades.&sort=rel
Take note: lots of scrounged wood in the Cobalt pictures; this could be an in for a better deal on the truck, another way to work the price down, or maybe a new scrounging site or hookup for more scrounged wood.
Maybe he is the guy taking your hickory:surprised3:.
You can also see he has a lot of cars in the background of the Beetle pictures and I see those piles of wood there too:sweet:.
I reduced that copy and paste I previously did to "I dont recieve text messages. I'm not interested in trades." and now have two more vehicles, surely a dealer.
Same here with only "I'm not interested in trades."
Only found one more a pontiac.
Found this in that search also @MustangMike :sweet:.
Needs the trans rebuilt though.
http://muncie.craigslist.org/search...sages.+I'm+not+interested+in+trades.&sort=rel

Check out this sweet wood hauler :D.
http://muncie.craigslist.org/cto/5595952670.html

Not sure if you knew all this before,
Hope this helps:).
Hope this helps.

Also found these other listings by him.
I copied and pasted "Any questions calls only please. I dont recieve text messages.I'm not interested in trades."
Which was the ending of his post, when I'm looking at a specific item I like to find out as much as I can about the individual or dealer, which he appears to be before even calling and certainly before buying.
http://muncie.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=Any questions calls only please. I dont recieve text messages. I'm not interested in trades.&sort=rel
Take note: lots of scrounged wood in the Cobalt pictures; this could be an in for a better deal on the truck, another way to work the price down, or maybe a new scrounging site or hookup for more scrounged wood.
Maybe he is the guy taking your hickory:surprised3:.
You can also see he has a lot of cars in the background of the Beetle pictures and I see those piles of wood there too:sweet:.
I reduced that copy and paste I previously did to "I dont recieve text messages. I'm not interested in trades." and now have two more vehicles, surely a dealer.
Same here with only "I'm not interested in trades."
Only found one more a pontiac.
Found this in that search also @MustangMike :sweet:.
Needs the trans rebuilt though.
http://muncie.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=+I+dont+recieve+text+messages.+I'm+not+interested+in+trades.&sort=rel

Check out this sweet wood hauler :D.
http://muncie.craigslist.org/cto/5595952670.html

Not sure if you knew all this before,
Hope this helps:).
Hope this helps.

Ya I should of said he is a dealer.... I looked at a 98 Chevy 3500 and I wish I would have bought it..... It sat for awhile with same price so I drove it and planned on going back to buy it in a few days.... Well of course it was sold....

Funny u say that about that wood in the backround.... I do know that guy and I can get wood from him.... He has a tree service and he told me he was goin to bring loads to my house but never did..... I like you am always keeping an eye out so I always have atleast 2-3 places to cut at!!!!

Agreed Cody.
I can get those transfer cases dropped and rebuilt for less than it makes sense for me to do.
So you mean that pulling the cab off to do a head gasket is hard LOL.
I still miss my 99 super duty crew 4x4 short box, what a pulling machine with the 7.3 :rock:.

You won't hear me admit this much but I do like Fords, just don't like working on them. I don't know what they were thinking going from the 7.3 to the 6.0. I won't say the 6.0 was a bad engine either, just needed a few things fixed from the factory to make them better, but which truck doesn't? I just don't like working on most anything fomoco. Ever have to change an alternator on a mid 2000's cougar? Their windstar/freestar minivans require you to remove then entire wiper cowl to do spark plugs, and it's not bad just time consuming. Then again, I just did spark plugs and an o2 sensor on moms Montana yesterday and it's no breeze either. I know guys say that a Ford Superduty with a cummins/allison combo is the holy grail but I think it'd be just fine with only the addition of an Allison trans. Speaking of Allison tranny's, GM only put them behind the Duramax and the 8.1, the 6.0 trucks should be backed by the 4L80E. You're correct on the water pumps as well and while they're not as easy as an older small block, they're still nothing complicated. Also like you brought up definitely make sure that exhaust has crossover pipe on it, you just can't do true duals on vehicles any more. As for the cam, I would inquire why it's in their as well. Did something fail so it was just replaced during the rebuild? Does it affect mileage at all? You can purchase a pretty decent blue tooth obd2 code reader for $22 and use a smart phone to do all sorts of stuff beyond just reading/clearing engine codes as well. Can't believe I didn't mention before either but idler/pitman arms seem to go easy on these trucks, especially if larger than stock tires were mounted or if the torsion bars have been turned up at all. I didn't think of that until chipper mentioned the gap between box/cab.

Nice truck, To bad about the dent.

Back