Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a scrounging tip , when you have 130' of winch cable , make sure you have something to get you a few more feet because the bigger one was at 138' LOL

IMG_20160605_160653.jpg

I got a chance to go scrounging yesterday after the honeydo list was done :)
I shot down to the pile of blowdowns I've been working , came at it from another side .

IMG_20160605_134707.jpg

I cut a trail to them

IMG_20160605_135654.jpg

But , not worth dragging out , the pics look ok but just too soft :(
So I did some more scouting in that patch , found more good ones to come out but I'll polly wait for a hand .
So , instead of working those , I hopped on the trusty steed and headed down the road .

IMG_20160605_134718.jpg

3ktwuYft-bv7NKx0pYydLeA6Qpr_7VJ_Go02z7KxlkrwgHlzAbmGrZzjet0TtWFTbQSd-MtDIw=w1073-h805-no

Did a little sight seeing

IMG_20160605_144928.jpg

And found a few stems to cut

IMG_20160605_151110.jpg

IMG_20160605_160920.jpg

I ended up with 7 or 8 trees out of that swamp , sugar maple and 1 grey birch :)
I hauled them up to a landing that you can't see from the road :)
Scrounge on gentleman !!!

I am envious of your undergrowth/brush. Around here if the sun can hit the ground it will soon be covered with honey suckle, multi flora rose, and poison ivy. Often I spend more time with a machete than a chainsaw just to walk and see where I am cutting. On Memorial Day week-end I was at the cemetery with my brother placing flowers when a lady came and asked what that big vine was on the big pine tree. She said she had pulled some leaves and berries from it to get a closer look. I told her it was poison ivy and I had already decided I was going to come back and cut and treat it. She said she was from Canada and there wasn't any poison ivy there and she would rinse off with water? I think she was serious. I told her that will not do it. Luckily my brother had some Go Jo (mechanic type soap) in his truck so she scrubbed and rinsed her hands and arms with it. She said she might have touched her face and neck. I think she got somewhat of an education that day and I hope it was not a painful one. LOL

I was a teenager working some odd jobs in the summer to make money. The woman (homeowner) asked me if I got Poison Ivy? I told her I never had it before. Last time I answered like that! My forearms got so swollen I looked worse than Popeye, and I had to get medical treatment.

Lesson Learned (the hard way)!

OK, For all of you dog lovers, here is an old video of my guy Thor (who has since passed) and Lucy, who we still have. IMO, it is hilarious to watch the bigger/faster 75 lb Thor try to get the stick from the 50 lb more nimble Lucy. Thor even "looks to me for help".

He was a great dog, and they played so well together. But they do team up against me when I try to take the stick! Enjoy!

OK, For all of you dog lovers, here is an old video of my guy Thor (who has since passed) and Lucy, who we still have. IMO, it is hilarious to watch the bigger/faster 75 lb Thor try to get the stick from the 50 lb more nimble Lucy. Thor even "looks to me for help".

He was a great dog, and they played so well together. But they do team up against me when I try to take the stick! Enjoy!

Very nice. I do know you miss your friend.

. . . when you have 130' of winch cable , make sure you have something to get you a few more feet because the bigger one was at 138'
Maybe try a metric length next time? Since a meter is a little longer than a yard, it might make a difference. . .

Philbert

A number of years ago my scrounging came to a stop because I could get to much of the local available wood. So I came up with a really portable winch with 800' of extensions. Now if I can figure out how to make it fully automatic. Your area looks so much more level than mine, but I think you got the right idea. Thanks wch.jpg wch.jpg

I am envious of your undergrowth/brush. Around here if the sun can hit the ground it will soon be covered with honey suckle, multi flora rose, and poison ivy. Often I spend more time with a machete than a chainsaw just to walk and see where I am cutting. On Memorial Day week-end I was at the cemetery with my brother placing flowers when a lady came and asked what that big vine was on the big pine tree. She said she had pulled some leaves and berries from it to get a closer look. I told her it was poison ivy and I had already decided I was going to come back and cut and treat it. She said she was from Canada and there wasn't any poison ivy there and she would rinse off with water? I think she was serious. I told her that will not do it. Luckily my brother had some Go Jo (mechanic type soap) in his truck so she scrubbed and rinsed her hands and arms with it. She said she might have touched her face and neck. I think she got somewhat of an education that day and I hope it was not a painful one. LOL
There is poison ivy in Canada.

I'm lucky that my local area is free of poison ivy but a 2 hr drive from here will get me to an area that has some .
Ted , I like your "PortaWinch" , I've been watching for the right winch to make one but no luck yet .
How many hp you using to drive it ?

Well boys sadly I have found out someone else is getting in on my shagbark hickory spot.... Ya know I am completely cool with someone else getting the wood, as I don't OWN it.... The thing that sucks, is they have a damn bobcat and a nice ass dump trailer to haul it with..... Now i am not trying to be a D*CK, it's just frustrating for a poor ol country boy like me be to cutting and hand loading this wood alone by hand, and some one else just loads it in with equipment!!!!

Well sorry for the rant guys........ I cut and hand loaded 4 good loads.......hell maybe one day I will have a dump trailer and bobcat to help me....

Oh and yes that's my ms461 in the pic...I absolutely love my 461, I used it and my ms362 today... The ms362 has surprised me with its power and torque.... I used the ms362 in 18" plus hickory and she never batted an eye!!!!
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

:surprised3:
Well boys sadly I have found out someone else is getting in on my shagbark hickory spot.... Ya know I am completely cool with someone else getting the wood, as I don't OWN it.... The thing that sucks, is they have a damn bobcat and a nice ass dump trailer to haul it with..... Now i am not trying to be a D*CK, it's just frustrating for a poor ol country boy like me be to cutting and hand loading this wood alone by hand, and some one else just loads it in with equipment!!!!

Well sorry for the rant guys........ I cut and hand loaded 4 good loads.......hell maybe one day I will have a dump trailer and bobcat to help me....

Oh and yes that's my ms461 in the pic...I absolutely love my 461, I used it and my ms362 today... The ms362 has surprised me with its power and torque.... I used the ms362 in 18" plus hickory and she never batted an eye!!!!
View attachment 507138 View attachment 507139 View attachment 507140
You need to have a GTG down there.
You can have everyone bring there trucks and load everything there in a day.
You'll need a pig on a spit and a keg of beer, but the boys would eat that wood and that hog right up:chainsaw::sweet:.

Another option would be to see if you can float the guy a few buck to get some loads dropped at your house.
Tell him you will help him cut your load and you will have his ready when he gets back, win win.
It would probably end up saving you money in the end to do it that way and it would get done pretty quick.
You could get a load on the trailer and then one in your truck in an afternoon pretty easy.
I like that truck with a load on it, looks fat(in a good sort of way lol), like this:surprised3:.
You guys familiar with this beast, was a big hit for a while.

Here's a scrounging tip , when you have 130' of winch cable , make sure you have something to get you a few more feet because the bigger one was at 138' LOL

IMG_20160605_160653.jpg
I have two thoughts.
Good thing you didn't just cut the 250' cable in half like I was thinking when you spooled it up, and you better have you best walking shoes for the bush on lol.
Great pictures and work dancan.

Your Thor looks just like my old girl GJ(Ginger Junior).
She passed a long time ago now, same coloring as thor just didn't crop her ears.
She was the same size as well. She would chase sicks in the river for hrs, just keep throwing them or rocks just in front of her and she would just keep swimming. It was great exercise for her and I didn't have to do much LOL.

I scrounged up all the scraps and punky stuff from my woodpile for the bonfire pit.
Got it all cleaned up before we got all the rain this weekend and monday.
My boy wanted to help so he got to drive the tractor, this was load 2 after I brought the neighbor a bunch of white oak and ash scraps for his outdoor wood fired pizza oven. He was glad as he cut a cable on his big enclosed cargo trailer and had the whole door come down on his knee, he's out of service for a while.20160604_122125.jpg

Earlier this week I was going to remove a small tree from beside the driveway right by the split wood pile.
Well lets just say it didn't go as planned.
I was pushing it over with the tractor and the canopy was touching a black locust I also wanted to take down. The next thing I know the tractor and I look like we are in a parade floato_O. I did not have enough pressure on the tree to even lift the front tires off the ground and the tree snapped right in half. The only thing I can think is that it happened because it was so dry out. This was a big learning experience in what not to do. I'm not sure what I would do differently other than be more prepared for it tohappen.
As I was pushing it I heard a small crack abd I thought that one of the roots were breaking:dumb:.
20160603_093959.jpg 20160603_094024.jpg Once I got it off the driveway I was able to cut it all up and then the last picture shows what was left. The good thingbis that I'm still living and the dead limb didn't damage the hood.1464961268224.jpg 20160603_095049.jpg

Hey 85, sorry to hear someone else is getting your wood! Did you give RS a try yet?
I didn't get to try this particular loop out, but it was on this little ms290 I just scrounged off CL. I sharpened up the old safety chain for the next next owner of this little cookie cutter. The RS loop will be for my 044. The saw came with everything in the pictures and another 3/4 gallon of bar oil:). I was about out of bar oil and had used my last 2 gallon premix container:happy:.1465221254251.jpg1465221479979.jpg

:surprised3:
You need to have a GTG down there.
You can have everyone bring there trucks and load everything there in a day.
You'll need a pig on a spit and a keg of beer, but the boys would eat that wood and that hog right up:chainsaw::sweet:.

Another option would be to see if you can float the guy a few buck to get some loads dropped at your house.
Tell him you will help him cut your load and you will have his ready when he gets back, win win.
It would probably end up saving you money in the end to do it that way and it would get done pretty quick.
You could get a load on the trailer and then one in your truck in an afternoon pretty easy.
I like that truck with a load on it, looks fat(in a good sort of way lol), like this:surprised3:.
You guys familiar with this beast, was a big hit for a while.

Yes it would be nice to hook up with the guy with the trailer.... However I have a 1 year old girl, so it is hard for me to set a schedule in stone ya know....

Yes I am using the ol trusty red chevy because me f250 4x4 is dead... Had a bad timing chain and the motor in it is a 78, the body is a 1989..../ I have been looking for a good truck for awhile with no luck yet....

Latest posts

Back