Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry guys, but I got the ULTIMATE scrounge!

Two hardwood chairs thrown away by a welfare family are being appropriated for the Cabin!

And I just had to walk a couple of houses down and carry them home!

I could be wrong, but they look like Maple to me!

Thrown away, huh. You might be seeing cause and effect?

We did a few more hours of splitting yesterday, and the wood pile is starting to grow. The upper pile & lower pile are now connected. Was really glad to be using the splitter. In addition to being able to just go through Ys and crotches, there were some wavy grained Oak that would have been very tough to split by hand. (The entire length of the piece was wavy)

Still have a few days of splitting left to do at this site, in addition to converting two logs into boards. I have both a 12' 40" diameter Red Oak and a 9' 20" diameter Hard Maple log that I hope to "board". FYI, I counted rings on the large 40"+ Oak tree and came up with 115 years old.

The wood pile is all good wood, Red Oak, Hard Maple and Black Birch.

I have also come to the realization that when I go "close up" with the cell phone camera, I can't post the pics, they are too large.

Glad to hear it Mike. A little while back your tone sounded a bit like you were wondering if the splitter was much better than swinging a maul, and with some wood there truly is not a great advantage with the hydro. I very seldom find a batch of good splitting, straight grained, crotchless wood anymore OR maybe I just don't have to. LOL

Glad to hear it Mike. A little while back your tone sounded a bit like you were wondering if the splitter was much better than swinging a maul, and with some wood there truly is not a great advantage with the hydro. I very seldom find a batch of good splitting, straight grained, crotchless wood anymore OR maybe I just don't have to. LOL

The splitter is a Godsend and I really appreciate what it can do. My frustration was that it seems just a few years ago, I could almost keep up with it splitting by hand. Of course, I'm sure I selected the wood to split a little more carefully, and just noodled the rest.

The splitter is faster, but the main benefit for me it that it saves wear & tear on the body. When I was splitting by hand, I got tendentious in the elbow so bad I learned to start the saws with my left hand!

The splitter is a Godsend and I really appreciate what it can do. My frustration was that it seems just a few years ago, I could almost keep up with it splitting by hand. Of course, I'm sure I selected the wood to split a little more carefully, and just noodled the rest.

The splitter is faster, but the main benefit for me it that it saves wear & tear on the body. When I was splitting by hand, I got tendentious in the elbow so bad I learned to start the saws with my left hand!
Yeah I definitely was there for the last three years. And I am your junior by a few years.

Lifting big rounds and swing the saw is still great exercise though.

I could not agree more Mike. These little 2-stroke engines we use have a limited number of repetitions and I kind of think we 2-leggers do also. LOL. Time to work smarter.

I got a chance to go scrounging yesterday after the honeydo list was done :)
I shot down to the pile of blowdowns I've been working , came at it from another side .

IMG_20160605_134707.jpg

I cut a trail to them

IMG_20160605_135654.jpg

But , not worth dragging out , the pics look ok but just too soft :(
So I did some more scouting in that patch , found more good ones to come out but I'll polly wait for a hand .
So , instead of working those , I hopped on the trusty steed and headed down the road .

IMG_20160605_134718.jpg

3ktwuYft-bv7NKx0pYydLeA6Qpr_7VJ_Go02z7KxlkrwgHlzAbmGrZzjet0TtWFTbQSd-MtDIw=w1073-h805-no

Did a little sight seeing

IMG_20160605_144928.jpg

And found a few stems to cut

IMG_20160605_151110.jpg

IMG_20160605_160920.jpg

I ended up with 7 or 8 trees out of that swamp , sugar maple and 1 grey birch :)
I hauled them up to a landing that you can't see from the road :)
Scrounge on gentleman !!!

I'm sorry guys, but I got the ULTIMATE scrounge! Two hardwood chairs thrown away by a welfare family are being appropriated for the Cabin!And I just had to walk a couple of houses down and carry them home!I could be wrong, but they look like Maple to me!

>are being appropriated for the Cabin! :)

l am constantly amazed at what people toss out onto the curb! ~ ....

These little scroungers are living under my cabin eave. Going to box it in once they fledge. They (phoebe family) have been nesting in this spot for about 25 years. I'll build them a nest platform on the building once I box in the last portion of the eaves.

View attachment 506654

nice Slice of Life pix... Mother Nature's side... enjoyed the post! :)

View attachment 506658 For those of you who haven't seen the pulling and cutting I did for a few months, you would have a time understanding how much wood I have to split and bring home. This is the first load, my dad's truck with the 105 loaded. It honestly doesn't look like I pulled any wood from the property yet. It'll be a long summer of hauling. Shea

do I hear some support, from the 'peanut gallery'?

"Come on, DAD! More... more... I can do more!...."

lol

View attachment 506789 Got a little splitting done before the weather came in.
Had a fox grab one of my ducks today, I caught him at it and yelled. He took off leaving my duck a little bloodied but she looks like she should make it. Looks like I need to get my firearms license. I will leave it at that before I get moved to the guns thread. Lol.

WN - really fine photo! it has 'the ;ool!' an American rural farm scene perfect!, imo... farm on the horizon, nice ploughed fields, young shoots poppin'... and on the grass... wood piles galore, setting it in for winter... ;)

yep! swell Slice of Life pix... glad I dint have to miss it!! :)

Just opened a youtube account, so now I can post the video of me bucking up that Chestnut Oak with my MS460 ported by Dr Al (with #s from Randy).Enjoy my first video post!

>Enjoy my first video post!

"AWWW-Right!!!"... sure did! :yes: nice bar... omg! and that felled trunk dint stand no chance... lol

I got a chance to go scrounging yesterday after the honeydo list was done :)
I shot down to the pile of blowdowns I've been working , came at it from another side .

IMG_20160605_134707.jpg

I cut a trail to them

IMG_20160605_135654.jpg

But , not worth dragging out , the pics look ok but just too soft :(
So I did some more scouting in that patch , found more good ones to come out but I'll polly wait for a hand .
So , instead of working those , I hopped on the trusty steed and headed down the road .

IMG_20160605_134718.jpg

3ktwuYft-bv7NKx0pYydLeA6Qpr_7VJ_Go02z7KxlkrwgHlzAbmGrZzjet0TtWFTbQSd-MtDIw=w1073-h805-no

Did a little sight seeing

IMG_20160605_144928.jpg

And found a few stems to cut

IMG_20160605_151110.jpg

IMG_20160605_160920.jpg

I ended up with 7 or 8 trees out of that swamp , sugar maple and 1 grey birch :)
I hauled them up to a landing that you can't see from the road :)
Scrounge on gentleman !!!

cool 'story line w/pix!' I liked those small rock boulders...

Latest posts

Back