Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any of you guys use the RS or any kind of chiesel chain on hickory..... I run RM on all my saws, and recently bought 3 loops of 20" RS chain to try.... I would think it would dull pretty fast trying to cut threw the shagbark.....

Any of you guys using the chisel chains on hard wood, or just use it mainly on softer, clean wood????
I use RS chain on everything. Keep it out of the dirt and off the rocks and you're golden.

Same here. The only semi chisel I have is what I got for a deal or on my 3/8 low profile saws.

Hell sounds like I need to put a loop on the the ms461 or ms362 and give it a go.......who knows I may even like it more..... For whatever reason they sell a lot more of the RM chain in my area......

Hell sounds like I need to put a loop on the the ms461 or ms362 and give it a go.......who knows I may even like it more..... For whatever reason they sell a lot more of the RM chain in my area......
That rs is tough stuff. Lasted a lot longer than the Oregon and Carlton semi chisel I had been using.

Trimmed all of the grass at the hunting cabin, put out salt blocks for the deer and rode the wheeler around a bit.

Big old yellow birch.
image.jpeg

Last spring's hidden scrounge, ready to be picked up.
image.jpeg

Moose track-first one I've seen in years.
image.jpeg

White pine snag left from when they burned brush after logging in 1912. Still solid.
image.jpeg

Trimmed all of the grass at the hunting cabin, put out salt blocks for the deer and rode the wheeler around a bit.

Big old yellow birch.
View attachment 506441

Last spring's hidden scrounge, ready to be picked up.
View attachment 506442

Moose track-first one I've seen in years.
View attachment 506443

White pine snag left from when they burned brush after logging in 1912. Still solid.
View attachment 506445
Nice pictures, looks like a great day. Nice to see the wolves didn't get all the moose.

Put some RS on the 461 and you will love it in all but the dirtiest of wood. Hickory will slow any saw down, but your saw will cut noticeably faster with RS.

The advantage of RM is that it cuts with multiple parts of the tooth instead of the focus being on the point, but that is also what makes it slow (you are cutting each wood fiber multiple times). Keep the RS sharp, and it will put a smile on your face. Also, FYI, it is easily converted to square file, which is faster yet!

We did a few more hours of splitting yesterday, and the wood pile is starting to grow. The upper pile & lower pile are now connected. Was really glad to be using the splitter. In addition to being able to just go through Ys and crotches, there were some wavy grained Oak that would have been very tough to split by hand. (The entire length of the piece was wavy)

Still have a few days of splitting left to do at this site, in addition to converting two logs into boards. I have both a 12' 40" diameter Red Oak and a 9' 20" diameter Hard Maple log that I hope to "board". FYI, I counted rings on the large 40"+ Oak tree and came up with 115 years old.

The wood pile is all good wood, Red Oak, Hard Maple and Black Birch.

I have also come to the realization that when I go "close up" with the cell phone camera, I can't post the pics, they are too large.

Attachments

• IMG_20160603_160715251.jpg
    IMG_20160603_160715251.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20160603_160633825.jpg
    IMG_20160603_160633825.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 18
Put some RS on the 461 and you will love it in all but the dirtiest of wood. Hickory will slow any saw down, but your saw will cut noticeably faster with RS.

The advantage of RM is that it cuts with multiple parts of the tooth instead of the focus being on the point, but that is also what makes it slow (you are cutting each wood fiber multiple times). Keep the RS sharp, and it will put a smile on your face. Also, FYI, it is easily converted to square file, which is faster yet!

Hey thanks..... Ya I actually like havin a brew after cutting and sharpen my chains.....I hand sharpen and sometimes use the grandberg.....ya know I have read a lot about chains and sharpening chains, but I have never tried to square file.... I know it's harder, but I think with some practice I could get it down....
I got a loop of RS I can put on the ms362 also... I will try the RS next time I go cut!!!!

We did a few more hours of splitting yesterday, and the wood pile is starting to grow. The upper pile & lower pile are now connected. Was really glad to be using the splitter. In addition to being able to just go through Ys and crotches, there were some wavy grained Oak that would have been very tough to split by hand. (The entire length of the piece was wavy)

Still have a few days of splitting left to do at this site, in addition to converting two logs into boards. I have both a 12' 40" diameter Red Oak and a 9' 20" diameter Hard Maple log that I hope to "board". FYI, I counted rings on the large 40"+ Oak tree and came up with 115 years old.

I have also come to the realization that when I go "close up" with the cell phone camera, I can't post the pics, they are too large.

>I have also come to the realization that when I go "close up" with the cell phone camera, I can't post the pics, they are too large.

checking attributes should confirm it. nice wood pile! has that fresh, just split look! :)

View attachment 506497 View attachment 506494

Here is my pile.... The closest stuff is big elm that a guy brought by...... The rest is all wood I cut and got myself..... have got a lot split lately, but got a lot more to split to.... Always a constant battle keeping it split....

>Always a constant battle keeping it split...

why? looks like u got it under control ! lol. nice wood pile. thanks for posting. :)

Ya that's a nice pile mike.... Looks like u got a lot done in one day!!!

Back