Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not saying drilling 6 1/2" holes through metal, plus a 5/16 drain hole with a cordless drill is fun, but a C clamp can convert your trailer into a handy work bench!

Here are my wood haul trailer mods, I think it will work well with the pivoting sides. It was a lot easier to do than what I originally planned, and should work better also. Will keep you posted when I get to try it out.
Looks goos mike.
I pictured the pivoting bolts being a bit closer together and the angle iron a bit longer.
If the angle was longer it would give a bit more leverage to lift the log. I see the limitations because of the wheels/tires, but a small notch(triangle) out of the part of the angle that the log will rest on and then weld it back together and they will be longer and go over the tires a bit. I was also thinking you could attach a little thinner gauge metal to the angles with teeth cut into them to grip the wood a bit.
If I'm not making sense let me know and I will make a little sketch.

Love it when a plan comes together:rock2::happy::cheers:
Erik, you reading my post, or do great minds think alike, I posted this(below) at 12:16 yesterday, your post:rolleyes: was at 12:22 :rock2::happy::cheers:.
I do have a small tree removal to do tomorrow. It doesn't pay a lot, but I'm not a tree guy LOL. When a good friend of mine asked if I knew how to do that stuff I told her I've never done on just like it before, but it's similar to the ones I have doneo_O.
By the way she is a friend from church who referred me for the job, gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Love your dog Nate, the load inspector, we have one of them, can't use the "T" word (truck) or the "R" word (ride) in front of him, sets him off. But I think he's learning to spell.
Thanks, she loves to go. Ya they get pretty smart I think sometimes they can spell lol. Hope all goes well when you go see the Doc.

Erik, you reading my post, or do great minds think alike, I posted this(below) at 12:16 yesterday, your post:rolleyes: was at 12:22 :rock2::happy::cheers:.
I guess I missed your post the first time around so we will have to settle on the great minds option:clap:
Speaking of friends at church, 2 friends offered free wood for me to get from trees they were having taken down. Offer was made right after the first of 2 carpal tunnel surgeries. Missed out on both offers. Won't be back working up firewood until September at the earliest.

I guess I missed your post the first time around so we will have to settle on the great minds option:clap:
Speaking of friends at church, 2 friends offered free wood for me to get from trees they were having taken down. Offer was made right after the first of 2 carpal tunnel surgeries. Missed out on both offers. Won't be back working up firewood until September at the earliest.
The reason you didn't see my post is because it was in the good morning thread, so the "great minds option:clap:" it is :numberone:.

Sorry to here about the surgeries, hope you recover quickly.
Were are you at in west WI, sounds like a good time for a benefit GTG, that is if you need some wood cut.
Just let your needs be know here on AS and I'm sure you will be taken care of :yes:.

Attachments

• 20160628_105441.jpg
    20160628_105441.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 19
Keep in mind this is not designed to haul huge stuff, and I think the length & spacing will work well with a ratchet strap.

I thought about teeth, but would be a lot of work w/o a grinder, so I will try it this way first. I think with one wrap around and the ratchet tight, it will draw those side wings in nicely and the log will be secure. We will see! Should work much better than "fixed sides" and just trying to tighten the chain or strap.

Also, as a true "scrounger", did not spend a dime. I had those 1/2" bolts with the nylon locking nuts for so many years I don't remember what they were from. Also had a collection of washers, and used 6 on each side. The angle iron came from the old well I dismantled recently (that had the old beer cans in it).

If I save it, it seems I eventually use it!

Send some prayer & good thoughts. My SIL (in his early 40s), the one with the 3 young ones (almost 2, 7 & 9) is going in for a major procedure tomorrow to see if they can electronically stimulate his heart to do the right stuff.

Hope it goes well.
Will be praying, hope all goes well.

View attachment 510673 View attachment 510671 Tried out the new mill tonight, works great.

That's dang nice rig. Great job. I would love to have timber like that to cut I can almost smell that pine. All I get to cut is oak and mesquite. I wouldn't know what to do with some straight stuff without thorns and poison ivy poison oak copperheads rattlesnakes and prickly pear cactus

That's dang nice rig. Great job. I would love to have timber like that to cut I can almost smell that pine. All I get to cut is oak and mesquite. I wouldn't know what to do with some straight stuff without thorns and poison ivy poison oak copperheads rattlesnakes and prickly pear cactus
Thanks, I'm very thankful. Been wanting to get a mill for many years, finally scrounged this one off Craigslist for less than half of new.

Send some prayer & good thoughts. My SIL (in his early 40s), the one with the 3 young ones (almost 2, 7 & 9) is going in for a major procedure tomorrow to see if they can electronically stimulate his heart to do the right stuff.

Hope it goes well.
Prayers sent in a min Mike:bowdown:.
Going in to pray with my kids right now :yes:.

Latest posts

Back