Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, yes dancan it really is enjoyable be out in the mountains cutting wood, love it out there and very thankful to live here, really enjoy the time with my son when he goes too. Used to log for a living, really miss it sometimes.
Yes sir pirat those noodles do make great fire starter! The smaller dead trees are lodge pole pine and alpine fir.

I went out yesterday to the logs I drug out last run in to block them ones up and drag them home .

IMG_20160626_105636.jpg

It was 68 and overcast so I was happy .

IMG_20160702_140454.jpg

One thing about scrounging is that you can't be too fussy and since I'm only cutting dead or blowdowns it may not all be primo wood LOL
I got some of these in that load .

IMG_20160702_125933.jpg

No splitting axe on board so I noodled the infested blocks and shook them out , then left them on the road to load last , no btu's left behind LOL

I spotted these 2 maples on the way out and since I had room and they were right close to the road ...

IMG_20160702_141132.jpg

IMG_20160702_142855.jpg

IMG_20160702_145905.jpg

They came home with me :)

Thanks guys, yes dancan it really is enjoyable be out in the mountains cutting wood, love it out there and very thankful to live here, really enjoy the time with my son when he goes too. Used to log for a living, really miss it sometimes.

Hey Nate, are you anywhere near Orofino?

Hey Nate, are you anywhere near Orofino?
About 170 miles away, close to McCall. Grew up 10 miles north of Kamiah though and have spent a lot of time around Orofino, my uncle lives there and used to go to lumberjack days there every year.

About 170 miles away, close to McCall. Grew up 10 miles north of Kamiah though and have spent a lot of time around Orofino, my uncle lives there and used to go to lumberjack days there every year.

Nice! My wife and I go over to Lumberjack days every few years. Olive's saw shop is a neat place, super nice guy.

I got rod into making some benches for my nephews wedding. I decided to use spruce 2x10 for the bench and cedar cut to 16" for the bases. Cut fresh so they will be a little heavy. Shame to cut nice logs like this up but I will make Swedish candles out of them later. Also the tops will be sold for fence posts.
IMG_20160702_180511.jpg IMG_20160703_165820.jpg IMG_20160703_162540.jpg

Nice! My wife and I go over to Lumberjack days every few years. Olive's saw shop is a neat place, super nice guy.
Awesome! Small world, yes it is that's where I bought my 064 new they ported-modded it for me, I used to cut trees with Darrel Olive he's a very good faller and a really great guy.

I went out yesterday to the logs I drug out last run in to block them ones up and drag them home . They came home with me :)

IMG_20160626_105636.jpg

It was 68 and overcast so I was happy .

IMG_20160702_140454.jpg

One thing about scrounging is that you can't be too fussy and since I'm only cutting dead or blowdowns it may not all be primo wood LOL
I got some of these in that load .

IMG_20160702_125933.jpg

No splitting axe on board so I noodled the infested blocks and shook them out , then left them on the road to load last , no btu's left behind LOL

I spotted these 2 maples on the way out and since I had room and they were right close to the road ...

IMG_20160702_141132.jpg

IMG_20160702_142855.jpg

IMG_20160702_145905.jpg

They came home with me :)

"cut them... and they will come!"

Also had a dozer in and redid our motocross track. My buddy has a bunch of firewood at my place that he still has to cut. The Ash logs are my firewood. Nephews race and don't have land and we already had a track so we just redid it abit.
View attachment 511366

that's a loggin' camp if I ever saw one.... :)

Had a campfire too. Cleaned the ashes out of the OWB, 1st time since about February. I left a few ashes in just so that I could say that I haven't let it go out for almost 2 years. Threw some spruce construction lumber and a bit of ash on top and the blower got it going again. I really should shut it down and clean it properly but just don't seem to have the time to do it. Takes a week for it to cool down after the fire goes out.
IMG_20160703_094906.jpg

Did some tree dropping & milling with Dr Al yesterday down in LI. He also converted my 024 Super to an 026 and ported it for me, so I finally have a real limbing saw, and it is strong enough to do some bucking. Was a real good day.

That 460 he ported for me pulled a 36" bar though that Oak like it was nothing!

Attachments

• IMG_20160702_153402680.jpg
    IMG_20160702_153402680.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 31
Did some tree dropping & milling with Dr Al yesterday down in LI. He also converted my 024 Super to an 026 and ported it for me, so I finally have a real limbing saw, and it is strong enough to do some bucking. Was a real good day.That 460 he ported for me pulled a 36" bar though that Oak like it was nothing!

a limbing saw? I should say so! my workhorse saw currently is an 026! my limbing is an 019T and Echo CS-271... what is the bar length on the 024/26?

Cantoo: Do you hear the wind turbines spinning?

When the wind is blowing our way we can hear them, closest ones are likely over 1000 meters away. It's a heavy bass thump as the blade passes by the tower and "compresses" the air. I can see 26 just out of my kitchen window. We have 100's around me. The turkey barns you see in the pics are worse for us. The fans run 24-7 and are loud. When working in my shop and the wind changes direction or speeds up it sounds like someone is driving in my driveway. It'll take awhile but we'll get used to it. I've planted 100's of trees so my children and grand children won't have to put up with the noise. The barns are full of turkeys that lay eggs that are taken to Michigan to hatch out. The manure isn't allowed to be spread on the land because of possible disease spread so they haul it away right away so there is no smell. I live in the country because I hate the City so I will be the last one complaining about "farm" issues even though my family were one of the 1st settlers here. My Dad was the last of us to farm, we had 536 acres, health forced him to sell when I was too young to take over. My sister cash crop farms but she's 2o miles away. I'll die on our last 10 acres of land.
Back to the windmills. Most of my neighbours have profited from the mills either though "rent" or working on the projects. The ones that complained and raised a stink have nothing but lost time, lost money, lost family and lost friends. The ones with the money make the rules and there is no changing that. I bought an OWB and changed my hydro usages instead of pissing and moaning, nothing I could do would change the governments mind.

Back