Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the RonCo Log Hauler 1.0 in the middle of the parking lot at the shop today , had 2 people circle it this afternoon , on fella came in , asked for a price to make him one , I told him that stuff is expensive and you can get fancy Chinese ones for about 2k landed .
He wants a price on one made with North American steel :)

Interstate near me they have been clear cutting the trees back 50' or so on the sides. Feller buncher is going along about a day ahead of the grinder.

Came home that way on Friday about 5pm ... and counted 8 sets of Woodboogas, probably about 12 guys and gals in total, going to town, picking the hardwoods out from among the pines. Vehicles from mini-vans and old S-10s to newer one tons with dump trailers. Warmed the cockles of my heart.

Heck of a deal Dan, those Rams will haul some serious wood. If anyone deserves mechanization, it's you. You have sure earned it. I had to self medicate just looking at the pics you posted!:D

Clint , it's all therapy and I know I would not have the mobility or the stamina that I have now without the fact of being broke and the need to be warm .
After being sidelined for almost 2 years I can tell you now that an 0h26 was a heavy saw after a very short period of time when I first got back to cutting . Lots of "medicates" were consumed before , during and after taking some or all of them pics of the utv , more so then than now but I still struggle .
I think that if I'd have started with a truck it might have been harder on me because the ability to fill the box would have been overwhelming at the beginning . Even though I could have quit before full , I wouldn't have been happy with myself . With the utv it was a finite and easily attained volume to fill and process . Sharing some of the utv abuse pics with you guys helped keep the wheels on my squirrel cage most of the time LOL
Just remember , you'll never be able to prove that I anything to do with any of the pics ;)
Scrounge on gentleman !

Speaking of that ATV ,Mike-------;)

Rode it Sunday up at my property for the first time and loved it. Will haul me and another full sized male adult up the steepest hill with ease. Even hauled a small trailer of Ash firewood a short distance just to try it out. It will make life up there much easier!

Sure like to see a pic or 2. I'm trying to convince myself I need one. They are compact and very handy to get into tight places. My goal is to haul out tree length to a landing site where it's easier to process. It's surprising what those ATV's will haul. I'm tired of cutting and loading 4' in the woods. Tree length is so much easier on the body. The only time the wood gets handled is when you pick up the round and set it on the splitter, or roll it on if you have a vertical set up.

I use an ATV. Put one pic of it up a few months back - no idea how many pages back that would be. Also have a second hand homemade wood trailer not quite as fancy as Dans but about the same setup. Doing a couple little mods to it now to make it more useful.

I will be starting to tackle the monster on Saturday, I hope. Will also try to remember to take some pics of it & the setup.

EDIT: Post 833, page 44.

Holy mutating thread Batman - that was a lot of posts & pages ago.

Can't believe how that first pic looked then vs. what it looks like there now. I should go back there again and take an after pic for comparison...

Sure like to see a pic or 2. I'm trying to convince myself I need one. They are compact and very handy to get into tight places. My goal is to haul out tree length to a landing site where it's easier to process. It's surprising what those ATV's will haul. I'm tired of cutting and loading 4' in the woods. Tree length is so much easier on the body. The only time the wood gets handled is when you pick up the round and set it on the splitter, or roll it on if you have a vertical set up.

When I use mine, anything that I can caber up onto a trailer in 8-10' lengths without getting into hernia territory I do that to. Then tow the load to my site and cut it to length right on the trailer like a sawbuck. Huge time saver. Anything bigger I tow the splitter right beside where the tree landed & toss to the trailer right off the splitter, then stack from trailer right to pallets. Don't touch again until putting in the fire. More time saved. Really helps being able to wiggle splitter & trailer right into where the trees fall. Also helps I can hop on the ATV in my dooryard & only drive a few minutes to where the trees are.

You do tend get more dirt on the wood skidding out tree length, but it only takes a few minutes with a stiff broom to get rid of most of it. I figure the small amount of time spent cleaning the wood and touching up the chain, more than offset the time and effort spent handling the wood 2 extra times, loading and unloading in the woods. But I am 4 years ahead in firewood, so I am not in a big rush. Another of the advantages from being ahead in your firewood. Of course, being semi- retired doesn't hurt either! :D

went this morning and cut a load of red oak. Doesn't take many of these 24" rounds to fill up my truck bed! I took my splitter with me to make loading easier. Gonna try to go back in the morning. I took my dads saw privileges away, he still likes to be in charge, and I don't mind at all as long as we can still enjoy the day cutting firewood together. He will be 80 this December.

e83542bd70b7df4fb87a48d046848442.jpg

436b6e83ad08e8622fb1e87d46090ec9.jpg

Thanks

Zeus:
Is that a logging site??
Looks like a great place to cut some firewood.
Does your Dad still swing a maul??

Got 40 acres being logged off 4 miles from the house.
Going over there Saturday and take a look see.

David

Latest posts

Back