Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zeus:
Is that a logging site??
Looks like a great place to cut some firewood.
Does you Dad still swing a maul??

Got 40 acres being logged off 4 miles from the house.
Going over there Saturday and take a look see.

David

Yes this is 80 acres of family land that had been logged recently. They left quite a pile of trimmings for the scrounger! Lots of oak, hickory, and maple, and tops galore! Yes, my dad will still swing a maul on occasion, but this year he has gotten where he is a little clumsy. He says he has to go to keep an eye on me. Keeps him busy I guess. We still enjoy a good day out in the woods and go as often as we can.

My pile of trimmings.
79b60931e9aa2e1cda9467a1b7c8c684.jpg

What I have cut so far
060d64a6cae1ff04efa27c293cb26e57.jpg

Thanks

I hope this doesn't cost me my Scroungers Certification...

Saw an add on CL a couple days ago. Turns out it was a local golf course that's removed 40 ash and maple trees and claims to have cut many of the logs to firewood length! Have it all stacked up in a pile right in the parking lot at the service garage.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm taking a pass. I already have all of this years and next years wood onhand and am promised enough for the third year within the next month and am also very busy with work right now. I'd like to get some of it anyway and sell it next Fall, but don't want that much wood stacked up. I hope I don't come to regret this...

I hope this doesn't cost me my Scroungers Certification...

Saw an add on CL a couple days ago. Turns out it was a local golf course that's removed 40 ash and maple trees and claims to have cut many of the logs to firewood length! Have it all stacked up in a pile right in the parking lot at the service garage.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm taking a pass. I already have all of this years and next years wood onhand and am promised enough for the third year within the next month and am also very busy with work right now. I'd like to get some of it anyway and sell it next Fall, but don't want that much wood stacked up. I hope I don't come to regret this...

AAAK! EEEK! primo wood, wicked easy access, already cut to length..yep, you will regret it!

Heck, I could cut a cord a day the rest of my life off the property here and not even come close to running out, but..already cut and just load, I'd drive a reasonable distance for that in lieu of felling/bucking and manhandling it out of the woods here. If I was scrounging.

I want to be a decade ahead, plus maybe sell some.... I am a few years ahead, and around five if I don't sell any right now, and that is really just putzing with it once in awhile. I think I have only cut three afternoons this year so far. I had so much stacked and needing splitting, that's all I did.

After the Georgia GTG I should be mostly caught up with my fall chores here, mowing has slowed down a lot, so back to cutting wood. Hope to add another year or two to the stacks before real cold weather, and mud season.

Hey NSMaple1 , the fella that asked about the RonCo log hauler 1.0 was from Tatamagouche .
I did more studying on the rims and found some 10" atv rims that bolt to standard 4 bolt hubs and the Kubota RTV rims fit the 5 bolt hubs .
I priced out the steel today , about 500$ new for what I got for 50$ ....

unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (4).jpg unnamed.jpg

this is the setup I use to get logs out of the bush. Made a removable floor and lids for this boxblade, then welded up and bolted in a frame that I can slide a 2 inch receiver into to pull a small trailer. The guides on top control the swing of the choker chain that attaches to a grab hook running down to the drawbar. So far it has been working great and allows me to bring everything I need along

Thanks Clint . It does still work fine as a boxblade, I made the floor with three easily removable sections that just lift out from the top. The hinged lids just slide on and off as well. Takes about three minutes to transform it from one to the other. I can take a couple more detailed pictures of that stuff if you would like. My theory was to have an attachment that I could do almost anything with because I hate having to swap implements on the back all the time, plus those lids make perfect places to sit on back in the bush when you need to relax and enjoy a quick beverage

Thought I would share this, in case anyone thinks they have scrounged all the wood they need. I scrounged a cord+ of dead standing last week and stacked it within easy reach of the house. I'm not getting caught, being unable to reach my emergency wood pile because of deep snow, this year. 2015-USFA-Winter-Map-Small.jpg 018.JPG

Got way more wood than will fit in the woodshed, so I got these racks and stacks to get a lot of this extra wood up off the ground. Much of it was around a couple years, and was beginning to go downhill, so I'm going to use it this year. Got stuff on both sides of the shed and a couple racks on the back deck. All in all, about 3.5 cords of wood outside of the shed, which holds about 5 cords. Looks fine, right? But pic #3 is what it's going look like in the middle of the winter. :clap: I'm kind of regressing back to before I had the shed, so this will be a bit of a throwback year. Going to make a game of it and see if I can get through the entire winter without using the wood in the shed.

6xuU0GX.jpg

cwKGjJl.jpg

D251WS2.jpg

Latest posts

Back