Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Batman in a Bathtub"

OK, so that is how Car & Driver describes this thing:

What has 173 Hp, is less than 1,800 lbs, has 3 wheels and performance between a car & a motorcycle?

It is called a Polaris Slingshot, and when one of them came up behind my Mustang yesterday, I though it had fallen out of a Sci Fi movie!

He was coming up behind me like a Bat otta H***, and I think he thought I would be easy prey, but the hidden SC under the Mustang's hood saved the day, and I was soon getting some enthusiastic "thumbs up".

Let me tell ya, these things look like they came from outer space, and they are not slow! It is a pretty cool looking vehicle if you are looking for a low cost alternative to an AC Cobra!

Search the net, you will see what I mean!

I live 30 miles south of where they're made, Polaris factory in Milford and Spirit Lake. See a few of them, mostly around the lakes area and yes they do grab your attention. I don't know much about them but 173 hp, that's what my bike was from the factory, but it's only 434 pounds full of fuel;)

Nate , I'm pretty sure that most of us enjoy being out doors and the views we have when we're there , I can look and be envious of some of the pics you guys put up but looking back at some of mine I realize that even between my scrublands some of the views are awesome so my office is pretty good to me , different but the same in a different light LOL
Some of my scrounging is physio therapy , some is psycho therapy and some is necessity , I'm glad that I am able to scrounge , all not being on any of my lands but the bulk only minutes from home and I let the property owner know that I am grateful to be allowed on the property every time I run into him .
I like sharing a bit of my office on this thread , Clint had a great idea , I like reading what everyone else shares about their office , one of the best threads on AS
Any of you guys are welcome to come up anytime btw , I'll supply the beer :)
Well said! I agree, always enjoy reading this thread. Great pictures and stories and like minded people.

"Batman in a Bathtub"

OK, so that is how Car & Driver describes this thing:

What has 173 Hp, is less than 1,800 lbs, has 3 wheels and performance between a car & a motorcycle?

It is called a Polaris Slingshot, and when one of them came up behind my Mustang yesterday, I though it had fallen out of a Sci Fi movie!

He was coming up behind me like a Bat otta H***, and I think he thought I would be easy prey, but the hidden SC under the Mustang's hood saved the day, and I was soon getting some enthusiastic "thumbs up".

Let me tell ya, these things look like they came from outer space, and they are not slow! It is a pretty cool looking vehicle if you are looking for a low cost alternative to an AC Cobra!

Search the net, you will see what I mean!
I saw one at our woodstove/Polaris dealer , Batman ride is the 1st thing I called it. So cool, I'd love to try one out.

I live 30 miles south of where they're made, Polaris factory in Milford and Spirit Lake. See a few of them, mostly around the lakes area and yes they do grab your attention. I don't know much about them but 173 hp, that's what my bike was from the factory, but it's only 434 pounds full of fuel;)

That sounds like a very impressive bike. Back in the day, my 1,000 Kawi was 550 lbs., and they were only 2 valves back then.

The Mustang is 530 Hp, and is quite impressive in it's zone. It will not launch like or bike, or have the top end, but I stayed in front of a crotch rocket Ducati from 60 to 140, and he had promised he would "annihilate" me, and we did it twice. I got some serious thumbs up after that one also.

Talk me through the process used to cut up the mess in photo #1.
Patience. Pole saw. Start at the top, near the ground (out of photo), and slowly remove weight and any non-load bearing wood. Watch for movement, watch for stump standing back up. Then work towards the stump.

As I recall, we did not get all of that one, due to size (diameter) and height, but made it passable for the homeowner. Knowing your limits is important!

Other 'horizontal trees' we were able to drop by making a plunge cut near the stump (to avoid barber chair risk).

Philbert

Well said! I agree, always enjoy reading this thread. Great pictures and stories and like minded people.

Duncan sed: I'll supply the beer :)

LN sed: Well said! I agree

and also sed... about :givebeer: I assume... always enjoy!

free beer? yes! yes, very well said!!!

:lol:

you are right! great pix... and I like them all... got so many words now... just about as big as some of the firewood piles... lol

you know... a pix is worth a thou words... :yes:

:drinkingcoffee:

:givebeer: later...

North of Duluth got hit by another storm this morning. My hs bud's yard looks like the destruction in your pics.

We got 2" of rain from 0130 until maybe 4.

No real wind but the driveway and my tomatoes too a beating from the rain. Driveway needs a lot of love from the wash outs and my tomatoes got a healthy pruning due to a lot of breakage.

I spoke with one of my physicists today that lives in Duluth and he said that he has 150-200 trees that are down on his property. :eek:

@Philbert awesome pictures!!!!!! That is a lot of work. Holy cow.

Did you use a filter or some sort of color tweaking? They are just stunning with the contrasts.

Back