Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I worked like a rented mule this afternoon. My brother is finishing up the retaining wall project down in Westchester, and Concrete Truck could only reach the forms for about 1/2 load, so I was the designated mule who wheelbarrowed about 35 Tons of concrete (1 & 1/2 trucks) on 2' wide plywood boards on top of the retaining wall. Luckily, it is all flat (no uphill), but still a lot of work. Hey, I'm 64 and can still get it done!

I did all the wheelbarrow work while my brother and our freind Harold did the rest of the stuff. Very intense for a short period of time (about 3 hours pretty much non stop). Usually my brother would have a larger crew on cement delivery day, but there was only room for one wheelbarrow on top of the wall, and back & forth I went.

FYI, it is a wheelbarrow that was given to me (was dead) and has the Hard Maple handles that were freehand cut with the chainsaw. Worked great! I love scrounged stuff!

Hey, I worked like a rented mule this afternoon. My brother is finishing up the retaining wall project down in Westchester, and Concrete Truck could only reach the forms for about 1/2 load, so I was the designated mule who wheelbarrowed about 35 Tons of concrete (1 & 1/2 trucks) on 2' wide plywood boards on top of the retaining wall. Luckily, it is all flat (no uphill), but still a lot of work. Hey, I'm 64 and can still get it done!

I did all the wheelbarrow work while my brother and our freind Harold did the rest of the stuff. Very intense for a short period of time (about 3 hours pretty much non stop). Usually my brother would have a larger crew on cement delivery day, but there was only room for one wheelbarrow on top of the wall, and back & forth I went.

FYI, it is a wheelbarrow that was given to me (was dead) and has the Hard Maple handles that were freehand cut with the chainsaw. Worked great! I love scrounged stuff!
Keeping busy keeps you young. Guys like you and @chucker are more fit than most folks in their 20's.

Now if SVK did not have all that soft hardwood near him, I think he would still be searching for my 044!
I'd still snap up a 10mm 044 if I found a clean one.

You know I ran my 562 head to head against a 10mm 044 and the 044 was just a hair faster using identical chains. After three cuts he probably had an inch on me as we finished the final log.

I tried a 12mm newer one and it was rather meh compared to yours.

I'd still snap up a 10mm 044 if I found a clean one.

You know I ran my 562 head to head against a 10mm 044 and the 044 was just a hair faster using identical chains. After three cuts he probably had an inch on me as we finished the final log.

I tried a 12mm newer one and it was rather meh compared to yours.

044 #1 (the one you ran) is the strongest of my 3 70.7 cc saws, including the other 10 mm (it is just one of those saws that came through well). Since you ran it I have deleted the base gasket and advanced the timing, so it is now a good deal stronger than you remember. I made similar mods to my MS440, and while not quite as strong as 044#1, it is very impressive, and has compression relief, a nice feature that the 044s don't have.

That said, I have a good deal of respect for the 562s, and if you ever get a chance to run one of Dr Al's ported 036s, let me tell you, that will also wake you up!

044 #1 (the one you ran) is the strongest of my 3 70.7 cc saws, including the other 10 mm (it is just one of those saws that came through well). Since you ran it I have deleted the base gasket and advanced the timing, so it is now a good deal stronger than you remember. I made similar mods to my MS440, and while not quite as strong as 044#1, it is very impressive, and has compression relief, a nice feature that the 044s don't have.

That said, I have a good deal of respect for the 562s, and if you ever get a chance to run one of Dr Al's ported 036s, let me tell you, that will also wake you up!
I can imagine those tweaks helped it that much more.

My 550 is getting ported this fall. Then I want to run it against the 562 in stock form before I mess with the 562 at all.

Here is a pic of the retaining wall, all the concrete was off loaded at the far end, truck could not get around the corner. The off side is a long way down!

My brother likes taking on these jobs that no one else will touch.

We had 2' wide 3/4 plywood all across the top, and I went back & forth with the wheel barrow, my brother says I moved about 40 Ton in less than 3 hours (I could not waste time, had to PU my Grandsons).

Attachments

• RetainingWall60917.JPG
    RetainingWall60917.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
Seems like muffler mods on most saws, and especially a 562, are almost no brainers, and really help to wake them up. In addition, the saw will likely run cooler and last longer, the downside being increased noise.
A fellow had a muffler modded (and perhaps other tweaks) but stock ported 2260 at a gtg recently. That thing downright ripped.

On this scrounge site there is a larger blowdown

IMG_20160917_155049.jpg

I have to cut it and I figured it's toast but as I cut it

IMG_20160917_155054.jpg

I got some white sawdust , the core is good .

IMG_20160917_155052.jpg

Hopefully I'll get a few rounds out of this one , might even get lucky and the soft layer will be scrubbed off by the time it reaches the tractor .

Spruce , it lasts longer balsam but pine , tamarack and hemlock last the longest .
I had a spruce give me a bit of grief this afternoon , I cut my notch , cut the back cut and thought I'd be able to wedge it out , it had a maple blowdown tangled in the top , I was wrong .

IMG_20160917_150716.jpg

I had to use the winch to pull this one over and rescue my bar .

IMG_20160917_151323.jpg

I also got that maple that was giving me a hard time hauled right to the landing :)

IMG_20160917_152553.jpg

That 2 wheel cart looks handy .

I couldn't do what I do without it; or without noodling a ton. I don't care for noodling. I can load 300# rounds, no problem (limit is 400#). Wish I had a tractor or skid steer with a grapple, but too expensive for a "hobby" firewood business. It is called a Log Mule. I saw it in a thread here:

http://log-mule.com

Latest posts

Back