Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@svk If you are looking at replacing your little electric, I have a craftsman electric that I haven't used in years.
Long story but this one came from a deceased relative of my wife. I don't really have a need for another but I do see how they are nice to have when cutting in town.

With that being said if we ever crossed paths I'd probably pick it up as a guy can never have too many spare saws :)

Insta wood! How much in that load? I'm guessing 4-5 cord maybe.

Supervisors having a good time!

I'm hoping for upwards of 6 when CSS. Time will tell the tale, but that's a good start on '17-18 either way.

The supervisors were supposed to be playing on their swingset, but that was nowhere near as interesting as watching ol' dad work ;). They even helped me blow off the saws in the barn driveway, until they found a salamander. And then they were chasing cats and chickens around the yard. Lots to do on a farm when you're 4 and 6. :)

My cheater scrounge:
View attachment 526167
$375 delivered. It was from 2 acres that we cleared at work for a well pad.
View attachment 526168
I see some aspen, oak, and maple. Not sure on the sub-species. Anybody see anything else?
View attachment 526169 View attachment 526170 View attachment 526171
Plenty of supervisors too:
View attachment 526172 View attachment 526173

Nice ATV. my King does all my scrouging :D

I see sugar maple possilbly some red maple.
Red Oak
Beech
a few others i cant tell

Looks like a good load for the price!

SVK looks like your geared up for a fun day. I was able to go scrounge a load of nice dry lodge pole Saturday, also scrounged up some meat with a rock kinda surprised when it fell out of the tree first tryimage.jpeg
Wood was a lot dryer than the last load of pine I cutimage.jpeg
not the best wood but sure is nice to work with, light, smells good, easy to splitimage.jpeg

A gullet, (what my dad called it), is just a home made wooden wedge. Take a small round of wood(3-4-5 in dia) and use your chainsaw to sharpen it on two sides. You can make the taper as long or short or wide as you want. Long, thin, tapers with a wide beating end work best splitting posts. just need to pick a wood type that can withstand a little beating with a sledge.

A glut is a wooden wedge used to split timbers green from the woods. Made from wood, to split wood!

We used these wooden gluts in our saw mill,if we had a blind cut on the breaking down saw we used these to keep the flitch from closing up on the circular saw ,the good thing with these was if you accidentally hit one with your axe or saw it didn't matter and you could easily make another.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Nice ATV. my King does all my scrouging :D

I see sugar maple possilbly some red maple.
Red Oak
Beech
a few others i cant tell

Looks like a good load for the price!

Thanks. If the KQ ever dies, I would rather spend the $$ to resurrect it than buy something bigger. They are just the right size to be able to go through the woods, but still have enough power to do something. Everyone around here grew up with LT-125's and LT-185's, QR-160's, and Quad Sport 230's. There were a few Honda's and Yamaha's, and nobody liked what Kawasaki and Polaris were making. Now, everyone has a Ranger it seems, but they just don't go 'wooding' like the saddle type ATV's do.

Good call on the beech. I knew it was a harder wood than the aspen, but was drawing a blank for some reason. There's a ton of it around here, so I don't even have the excuse that I'm not used to seeing it.

Long story but this one came from a deceased relative of my wife. I don't really have a need for another but I do see how they are nice to have when cutting in town.

With that being said if we ever crossed paths I'd probably pick it up as a guy can never have too many spare saws :)
We will be in the Cities at the end of the month. I don't get much further north than that.

Thanks. If the KQ ever dies, I would rather spend the $$ to resurrect it than buy something bigger. They are just the right size to be able to go through the woods, but still have enough power to do something. Everyone around here grew up with LT-125's and LT-185's, QR-160's, and Quad Sport 230's. There were a few Honda's and Yamaha's, and nobody liked what Kawasaki and Polaris were making. Now, everyone has a Ranger it seems, but they just don't go 'wooding' like the saddle type ATV's do.

First quad I had was a 230. Wouldn't mind owning another or even a 160 for puttin' around. Everybody around me owns a utv now. Lotta families though so it kind of makes sense.

So long story short I had a couple of drops not go exactly where expected while trying to fell without wedges but 4 geriatric aspen are on the ground along with a collateral damage red maple that was about 8" diameter.

Spent quite a bit of time tuning saws. The recently carb kitted saws (Mac and Super Mini) are both running pretty well. My new L65 isn't oiling much so hopefully something is just plugged up. Will check that tomorrow.

Split about 3/4 cord with the Husky S2800. Sure makes hand splitting easy.

IMG_5408.JPG IMG_5410.JPG IMG_5413.JPG IMG_5420.JPG IMG_5418.JPG IMG_5421.JPG
Inaugural load for the rebuilt trailer! (That's only one tree-these aspen were pretty big).

So long story short I had a couple of drops not go exactly where expected while trying to fell without wedges but 4 geriatric aspen are on the ground along with a collateral damage red maple that was about 8" diameter.

Spent quite a bit of time tuning saws. The recently carb kitted saws (Mac and Super Mini) are both running pretty well. My new L65 isn't oiling much so hopefully something is just plugged up. Will check that tomorrow.

Split about 3/4 cord with the Husky S2800. Sure makes hand splitting easy.

View attachment 526418 View attachment 526419 View attachment 526420 View attachment 526421 View attachment 526423 View attachment 526426
Inaugural load for the rebuilt trailer! (That's only one tree-these aspen were pretty big).
The l 65 has an adjuster on the bottom svk it looks like a round strait slot screw underneath on the case on the bar side. Give it a half a turn out then try it. If it seems plugged up you can drain the tank and take that screw completely out be careful it has a spring on it...use some compressed air on it reassemble and try it. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The l 65 has an adjuster on the bottom svk it looks like a round strait slot screw underneath on the case on the bar side. Give it a half a turn out then try it. If it seems plugged up you can drain the tank and take that screw completely out be careful it has a spring on it...use some compressed air on it reassemble and try it. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Thank you! I'll give that a try.

Latest posts

Back