Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No cutting planned but I'm in upstate NY for the week. Took a walk through my buddy's woods tonight when we got here and discovered a thick stand of Ironwood. Lots of 8-10" and many smaller trees. One beauty was about 14". And the assorted other white, chestnut, and red oak, hickory, hard maple, cherry, and black birch. You east coast guys deserve a "you suck" for being spoiled with all of this good wood.

I feel the same way when visiting my parents in Kentucky.

I told my dad that their junk wood rivals our good stuff.

The neighbor informed me last night that another 13 cords of hardwood are going to be scrounging its way into the log yard this week.

I replied, "You really don't want me to have a life do you, more than my normal hermitness." lol

So hopefully should be good for a while.

Another load.....just helping the neighbor "dispose" of all these red pines.

Since I have to drive about 2 minutes to get back to my place I try to maximize the load by also filling the hoe bucket with wood.

I'm not sure the photos do it justice, but it's a massive load of firewood.

There are several more loads waiting for me. Pretty much all of next winters firewood. Which is handy because I'm pretty sure I already have all of this years wood squirreled away.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I feel kind of silly posting this, but..................... it might be interesting to my fellow scroungers. :)

I'm doing a radio show tomorrow night with my friends at the Catskill Forest Association. o_O They have a weekly show called "from the forest" and tomorrow we are going to be talking "tools of the trade". (Some of it will be on the firewood shortage we are talking about in this thread.) Going to take a "then and now" historical perspective on wood cutting and related tools. Crosscuts to auto-tune. :chop: Just some general saw/wood BS like we do here every night. LOL

If anyone wants to catch it, www.wioxradio.org 6:00 to 7:00 pm EST

I feel kind of silly posting this, but..................... it might be interesting to my fellow scroungers. :)

I'm doing a radio show tomorrow night with my friends at the Catskill Forest Association. o_O They have a weekly show called "from the forest" and tomorrow we are going to be talking "tools of the trade". (Some of it will be on the firewood shortage we are talking about in this thread.) Going to take a "then and now" historical perspective on wood cutting and related tools. Crosscuts to auto-tune. :chop: Just some general saw/wood BS like we do here every night. LOL

If anyone wants to catch it, www.wioxradio.org 6:00 to 7:00 pm EST
No silliness going on there buddy. I'll most certainly check it out.

so I was going to go scrounging if weather turned cool and grey, but the weather was amazingly just too nice (88F) :cool: - went swimming instead on the last good day this Fall - Sunday Sept 21 - Lake water was refreshing, but still quite warm even as the nights have started cooling down.

shore-lake.jpg lake-view.jpg canoe-lake.jpg

Lit up the wood stove this year for first time yesterday Sept 22. That's always cause for a celebration of some kind ;) Dry wood and a warm fire - I'm ready for winter.

It's raining now and probably won't let up for a while, so if you guys will continue to indulge me, the next pics I'll post will be during salmon fishing season.

-

Sure is shaping up to be a nice fall , we've got 60's to 70's and sun for the coming 7 days , almost too good to be true LOL

I started on the RonCo WH ver. 1.1 today .

IMG_20140923_164024.jpg

A couple of other pieces cut not in the pic , more steel and hardware coming tomorrow .

Unfortunately , 1 is not a biz :(
I am gonna take pics of both when done and run a local ad or two to see if it will be more than 1 LOL

That's how most small, and some not so small businesses start. Test the waters to prove up the product. If demand is there and you want to work at it .... it will grow :)

I started with 4 small products I made myself and ended up with Canada wide distributors and large headaches - lol - be careful what you wish for :p

I've been getting a bunch of oak beams that a large manufacturing company discards when they get a load of heavy equipment in. Many of them are 6x6 or 6x8s and they are going to warm the house very nicely!

+1. Any time steel trucks come in I try my best to get those hard wood blocks. Yes, they make wonderful firewood! Once, I got an entire flatbed load of them! Most of them are green so they need to season but they are great firewood!

Thanks

Unfortunately , 1 is not a biz :(
I am gonna take pics of both when done and run a local ad or two to see if it will be more than 1 LOL

Maybe you could work with dirtyhandtools after the improved design and make a cut on what they mass produce and sell, if they are interested? They seem a pretty serious and customer oriented company who are doing things right. Because really, that is a slick heavy duty practical design there.

Back