Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately , 1 is not a biz :(
I am gonna take pics of both when done and run a local ad or two to see if it will be more than 1 LOL

There should be a place for these trailers. I scrounged around kijiji for a long time before I found the one I have. In that time I thought about making one or getting one made, but just didn't have the initiative to go that step I guess. Also thought about mail-ordering one from stateside - I just couldn't find anything new around here no matter how big I imagined my budget. Someone home-made mine, they used old car parts for the wheel setup. Looks like they just cut the rear hub assembly off a FWD car, and welded it to a piece of steel. Looks pretty cobbled if you look under it, but the welds all look pretty good so they at least half knew what they were doing. You just can't beat a walking beam trailer for the woods - almost a necessity I'd say. I can swap sideboards for scrounged pole stakes to switch between hauling splits, and hauling long lengths. That kind of versatility is a real bonus. If I pile my long lengths on top of some shorter bigger crosswise lengths, I can buck to length right on the trailer without getting the saw into the tires. So mobile sawbuck is more versatility. If it had a dump, that would be even more - but I haven't felt the need for that yet. I have a small 2 wheel trailer if I need to dump something. So lots of possibilites on different configurations. Good luck!

With company coming to my house the wife asked me to help her out and clean the house on my days off. I started the day off cutting red oak! I may be vaccuming out the dog house but when I'm motivated to cut some wood and add to the cause...I gotta go! I will clean house tonight!

abe8907d9dfee71c411c601735faf345.jpg
e50be4f7d47fb6918923bf2fb70f8a09.jpg
4b6cc3bdf5e8d96627ebd2a1c9aad823.jpg

Thanks

Welp, told meself all summer, when I get back from the GTG and it is fall and it starts to cool off, I would start on the mambo red oak stub in the yard. 48 inch, largest I ever cut with a chainsaw (did one larger with a crosscut..eekk..)
Poulan 505 28 inch bar.

Anyway, this is as far as I got until the chain started throwing dust instead of chips, two kinda sorta 16 inch rounds down. Not really cool yet so stopped for the day. Had to noodle and maul and sledge the chunks out just to be able to move wood out of the way. Gonna be a LOT of wood in this stub.

Attachments

• IMG_20140924_132829.jpg
    IMG_20140924_132829.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 63
Welp, told meself all summer, when I get back from the GTG and it is fall and it starts to cool off, I would start on the mambo red oak stub in the yard. 48 inch, largest I ever cut with a chainsaw (did one larger with a crosscut..eekk..)
Poulan 505 28 inch bar.

Anyway, this is as far as I got until the chain started throwing dust instead of chips, two kinda sorta 16 inch rounds down. Not really cool yet so stopped for the day. Had to noodle and maul and sledge the chunks out just to be able to move wood out of the way. Gonna be a LOT of wood in this stub.

You gonna get a lot of good wood out of that stub!

Thanks

Since I'm staying for free this week at my friends place in upstate NY I split a little hard maple for him this evening. He had a newer fiberglass handle splitting axe but someone broke the handle at the head since I was here last. Old wood handled splitting axe worked ok but needed to be pounded through and the head was loose. 8 lb True temper maul literally bounced off the rounds despite having freshly sharpened edge. I think I see an X27 in his future as a thank you gift from me. Great night to be outside. The acorns from about 4 large oaks are bouncing off the tin roof so often it sounds like a hailstorm lol.

You guys who scrounge the big stuff sure earn your wood. My hat's off to all of you, it's a lot of work. I hate to admit it but the older you get, the smaller the wood seems to get. Enjoy the big stuff while you can. Gettin' old ain't for sissy's!!:D

Hey Clint. I'm gonna burn wood as long as I can! Damn oil man is not going to get my hard earned cash. When I got my license gas was 98cents a gallon ever notice the profits those oil company's make every year. Over my dead body I'm gonna give them my money.

Hey Clint. I'm gonna burn wood as long as I can! Damn oil man is not going to get my hard earned cash. When I got my license gas was 98cents a gallon ever notice the profits those oil company's make every year. Over my dead body I'm gonna give them my money.

That would put you at about exactly 40?

Not arguing because my memory sucks. But I don't think I've seen gas under a buck since late 89 early 90. Then again propane is more than double here than most everywhere else. So maybe we are both right.

You guys who scrounge the big stuff sure earn your wood. My hat's off to all of you, it's a lot of work. I hate to admit it but the older you get, the smaller the wood seems to get. Enjoy the big stuff while you can. Gettin' old ain't for sissy's!!:D

Voice mode =Jakov Smirnoff

"In tornado season in Georgia, big wood scrounges YOU"! HAHAHAHA!

Thats the stub I knocked down that was holding up the huge branch that the tornado blew off and smashed down the ridgeline of the cabin, and poked into the living room. I am getting my re-venge now! heheheheh

I like all of it, one inch to whatever. The other big oak in the yard is a foot bigger diameter easy and still has most of the big branches and is stone shriveled up leaves dead. I'll be getting that one, starting on it, proly next year. It is hugegigantumongous. Five cord just from the little end branches on the first pass from the bucket truck dudes.

I want like a 3120 with a 60 or 72 inch bar for the bucking....finally got to run one at the gtg, 42 inch bar? Whatever, I can pick it up and buck with one, not sure on sideways felling cut..hmm..OK, proly not... ;)

Need to go on triple bowl a day wheaties diet...

Gas war post! I challenge my elder geezers! Common for me, five gallon for a buck, or one hours pay at the time, I was..well...a soda jerk...stop laffin that used to be a real job... but, beat even that cheap stuff once...a local gas war between a Tulsa station and a Clark, snagged most of a tankful at 12.9 cent a gallon at the Clark!

Next old phart, cheapest gas!

I can remember $.25/gal. Work that one out. (Clue: it was past the days of whale-oil.)

I fully intend to be bucking and busting lumber til they plant me. Bugger the gas company.

33 years old, got my license in 98. Ive grown up splitting/stacking and burning wood. Not going to stop untill my casket drops.
Guess I called that one. In addition to cheap gas, MN had a very warm/mild winter in 98-99'. There was a rain and thunderstorm over Christmas break and another one in late January. For contrast last winter we had several nights at -38 during that same time period.

I'm normally a whisky(ey) drinker but enjoy me a good sherry every so often and had a couple glasses tonight. For those that don't know sherry or think it's a sissy drink consider this. It's white wine fortified with brandy so the abv is 18-20%. Consuming a 4 glass bottle (which I've done but didn't tonight) is akin to downing a 12 pack of beer.

Anyhow it was a great night to hang in the foothills of the Adirondacks. Combination white pine and elm fire burned long and smelled great.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back