Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I'll give you this. Australian Shiraz is amongst my favorites. Otherwise NY grapes all the way, rarely do I like anything from CA. South America stuff is OK in my book but nothing to write home about.

If 95% of what you drink is whiskey? You really seem to know a lot about the other crap. You must drink a lot. Just sayen.

If 95% of what you drink is whiskey? You really seem to know a lot about the other crap. You must drink a lot. Just sayen.
Well I've been legally drinking for many years and go through phases where I try many different varieties of a certain spirit. And my wife prefers wine so I sample what ever she is having.

Well I've been legally drinking for many years and go through phases where I try many different varieties of a certain spirit. And my wife prefers wine so I sample what ever she is having.

No need for explanation (there's no judgments here on AS?) well at least here anyway. Those who live in glass house shall not throw stones.

Yank, my wife and I really liked the Millbrook Hunt Country Red for years, but the most recent batch was, unfortunately, not good.

If you have a nice bottle of something you want me to try, let me know and bring it to GTG, and I'll bring you something in exchange.

The fingerlakes does produce some nice stuff, but as I mentioned most of it is because they learned how to splice red tops to white roots. In addition, it usually involves Cab Franc, even if in a blend. But it is tough to keep track of them all because there are so many of them, and production is limited and often does not make it this far. Also, many NY wineries make stuff from grapes they get from CA.

If you have found something good, I am interested, especially if made in NY. As I said, it is tough to keep track of it all, and sometimes when you find something good the vintage changes and so does the quality.

I think that for the money up here the PBR is king , it's about the cheapest I can buy and better than quite a few that I have drank at twice the price . Up here 2.25 to 5$ a beer , I can get the PBR for 1.25$ a beer from New Brunswick about 4 hours away and it's brewed in Ontario under license .
Wine , that's good stuff for cooking :)

This represents approximately 25% of the firewood I've scrounged this year. I don't feel that the photo does it justice. It's about 4 feet wide, 4 feet tall, and 40 feet long. This stack is roughly half the wood I'll burn this season.

The rest of the scrounged wood is mostly hardwood and still a pile of logs. Actually it's multiple piles of logs....

image.jpg

If you drink wine from a mason jar are you less of a man for drinking wine ;)

View attachment 370453

Absolutely not; actually more of a man. The mason jar adds some ruggedness to whole thing, particularly by the campfire. At a CNY gtg a couple years ago a member brought out a bottle of Courvoisier that we polished off around the campfire. His logic was, "We don't get together often enough to mess with the cheap ####."

Absolutely not; actually more of a man. The mason jar adds some ruggedness to whole thing, particularly by the campfire. At a CNY gtg a couple years ago a member brought out a bottle of Courvoisier that we polished off around the campfire. His logic was, "We don't get together often enough to mess with the cheap ####."

I completely agree with that Spike.

Get together's and such with friends I have not seen for a while, the Jameson and Buffalo Trace gets put away and the dust gets blown off of my stash of Bookers. Those are occasions worthy of the liquid velvet.

I completely agree with that Spike.

Get together's and such with friends I have not seen for a while, the Jameson and Buffalo Trace gets put away and the dust gets blown off of my stash of Bookers. Those are occasions worthy of the liquid velvet.
Good whisky (ey) is meant to be consumed with good friends.

I try to keep a stash of Knob Creek in addition to whatever scotch I have on hand for when friends visit.

Here's a blk. cherry I scrounged today, the entire tree had been blown over by a tornado

standard.jpg

I cut a really nice 8' 6" butt log off to go to the BSM, I may get a board or two out of the upper logs too? All the rest of the tree went into "next years" firewood pile, and I already have that cut up and split. :)

SR

Today's scrounge, first load of dead standing ash. A friend mentioned me (wood burner) to a man 1/4 mile down the st. From me where he was painting. A few days later 2 trees were mine. Easy drops 20 yards from the driveway

Nice score axfarmer, it's a good feeling when someone recommends you. Very nice load(s) of wood. thumbs up.jpg

Latest posts

Back