Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's scrounge, first load of dead standing ash. A friend mentioned me (wood burner) to a man 1/4 mile down the st. From me where he was painting. A few days later 2 trees were mine. Easy drops 20 yards from the driveway.View attachment 370575

That's a real good load there. And your buddy making the connection between you and the landowner shows how it pays to keep putting the word out that your looking for wood.

045f38e2becdb77b02b9595a0e3d05ce.jpg

Found this while at the dump earlier

Was away yesterday and today, went upstate with my friend Harold to work on the Hunting Cabin, and even got to make some firewood when I took down a tall partly dead Ash that could have damaged the new cabin.

Wish I could say I gave that 362 a workout, but it wacked that tree up so fast it almost didn't get to warm up. Let Harold cut a few of the rounds, so Randy will be happy to know he put a smile on another persons face! Although it only looks like 2, there are 3 rows of Ash rounds there, it had a good amount of trunk.

On the cabin we got all the 2nd story floor joists in, put down some temp flooring and scaffolding, and installed a half dozen of the 2X10X14 Rafters. Will likely be 2 weeks before I can get up there again, but at least it is starting to look like something. Hopefully, things will go fast from here.

After a long days work we had some Red Wine (in our coffee mugs) and watched the fire fade before we turned in. The wine was Chateau Ste Michelle - Indian Wells - Cab Sauvignon - 2011. It is from WA State, and is one of my favorites.

Attachments

• 2014Sept27 008.jpg
    2014Sept27 008.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 2014Sept27 026.jpg
    2014Sept27 026.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 2014Sept27 001.jpg
    2014Sept27 001.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 90
Cabin's coming along nice, Mike. Tough getting to where you want to be, finding an occasional weekend to work on it. Sounds like every trip up there is good for the soul. A campfire, fine wine and a woods ported saw. Almost don't get any better than that. Well, maybe a 4x4 ATV, fine wine and a ported saw! ;)

After I'm all fatted up I decided to go back for a second load .
I find a couple of leaners so I hitch up the skiddah and go .

IMG_20140928_144905.jpg

Every thing is going to plan but ....

IMG_20140928_144938.jpg

I gots company .

IMG_20140928_144951.jpg

They stopped and waited till I was done LOL

Got enough to go home with load #2 .

IMG_20140928_162807.jpg

Unloaded and split the bigger ones ready to be stacked in the next years wood pile :)

IMG_20140928_172618.jpg

No wine by the fire , just PBR in a can and a T-bone on the BBQ with grilled shrooms in butter :)

Yup , all the dead and leaning .
I'm taking the stuff that's within 40' from the road , some of the dead has been dead a little too long but the blowdowns and select dead come home with me .
A few other local woodbuggahs have got a key to the gate and I heard they were talking of going right to town and cleaning it all up to sell some firewood , since I know the lay of the land and know how sparse it is , we'll see LOL

A few other local woodbuggahs have got a key to the gate and I heard they were talking of going right to town and cleaning it all up to sell some firewood , since I know the lay of the land and know how sparse it is , we'll see LOL

Sounds like you need to put the RonCo WH to work and increase your production, before the "woodbuggers" get it. ;)

10-4 on that.
I would like to see the RonCo WH earn it's keep as well.

BTW how is verson 1.1 comming along???

David

Latest posts

Back