Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! - more nerve than brains those guys. Even with good cross cabling, I would guess it's just a matter of time and a few good bumps before those logs rolled on them :eek:

heads up Clint ... with Photoshop, wood scrounging results have no limits - lol :D

You did good, but I think I got you beat. View attachment 371644 Only 2 hp.
I love those pictures. There are a lot from northern MN out there as well.

My hunting cabin is on the site of an old logging camp that cut our entire area in 1912. Our cabin is built on the very spot where the blacksmith shop once stood. Legend has it that the blacksmith died in a fire that took the blacksmith shop to the ground (he slept in the back of the shop). Over the 40 years we have been there there have been 4 *encounters* by friends and family. I was present during one of those times and and although I personally didn't see anything, I will say I have never heard the woods more quiet than that moment that *he* was visible to the person with me.

I am still not getting it on that walking beam axle thing. Appreciate some pics if possible or a vid how it works. I have sort of an idea, but...

..flipped a regular little trailer once hauling wood offroad. It just...tipped over sideways, sort of a PITA to get it back upright. Luckily not damaged bad, still usable.

edit: I guess this is why pintle hitches are better towing offroad, more flexibility?

Don't no about your country at all, but in nh it would be easy to register that. even easier to put another trailers plate on it. I have a trailer with no plate or lights and have not been pulled over, even with cops right behind me. I actually don't know anyone that has been pulled over for trailering. Seems I have it easy here on that topic anyway.

How can white and red oak be related? They both drop acorns, so sure they're both oaks, but come on! Red oak splits so easy peasy, the white oak I dropped yesterday had a date with the splitter tonight. STRINGY **** that oak is. Damn near had to run the cylinder full cycle to get the pieces to separate mean while the red oaks just had to be touched with the wedge an pop, them came apart. I know, I know, I know there is worse wood out there, but after 7 dump trailer loads of nice and easy red oak, this white oak was a pain in the @$$.

White oak is tougher to split and I gave had the same experience when using the fiskars.

White oak acorns taste better though than red oaks.

Looking at the picture of the horse team and logs, that is awesome.

For some odd reason I can picture dancan's minivan in place of the horses trucking that load home.

I wish there was white oak up here, but I am too far north. Red oak is abundant but it takes more than a year to season it , unless it's split small. Burns hot and you can split it with a dull axe. A Fiskars would split the round and the chopping block.

I'm glad that Chestnut Oak (which is actually in the White Oak family) was not that bad to split for the most part. Did several 30+" rounds with the Fiskars, some with the 16 lb hammer and wedges, and noodled two or three of them that had wavy grain & knots.

Red Oak is one of the wettest, heaviest, and slowest drying woods out there. But it does burn well, and there is more of it than there used to be (it fares well in places effected by acid rain).

Matt, good thing you cut the White Oak shorter, imagine if you didn't?

Here is some red oak my neighbor dropped 4 years ago onto my property ( he wasn't sure where the lines were). I bet the butt logs are almost as wet now as the day they were cut. The tops are prime firewood and I have cleaned up and burned most of them.015.JPG 016.JPG 007.JPG

Back