Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mercy...sounds like I might have to find me some oak and see how it compares to what I have been burning....I just really hate to travel as far as I will to get into any

There are oaks about 30 miles in any direction from me....I burn a lot of Mulberry, locust,Osage orange, maple,hackberry,black cherry, and I use some sycamore on the chilly nights

White oak is tougher to split and I gave had the same experience when using the fiskars.

White oak acorns taste better though than red oaks.

Looking at the picture of the horse team and logs, that is awesome.

For some odd reason I can picture dancan's minivan in place of the horses trucking that load home.

75% of my firewood is White Oak, very little Red Oak, and I'll burn anything, almost. Some years the White Oak acorns are so heavy on my lawn they will kill the grass if not removed and walking on them is like walking on a cracking, popping bed of marbles. So now you have my interest on how you cook/roast/prepare the white oak acorns for human consumption. The deer like them just fine as is.

75% of my firewood is White Oak, very little Red Oak, and I'll burn anything, almost. Some years the White Oak acorns are so heavy on my lawn they will kill the grass if not removed and walking on them is like walking on a cracking, popping bed of marbles. So now you have my interest on how you cook/roast/prepare the white oak acorns for human consumption. The deer like them just fine as is.

Cook? I tried them raw.

Figured it out when I was out bowhunting one day many years ago.

I had my tree stand in a grove of mixed white and red oaks.

I saw a group of deer munching away under the white oaks but they would not go to the red oaks.

After they left I crawled down to see why that was.

I walked over to where the deer were, grabbed a white oak acorn, figured "When in Rome," I popped the top of and took a bite. It was not too bad. Bland with a touch of earthy. So i ate another and it was the same.

I went over to a red oak and did the same. Bitter as all get out.

So, when presented with a choice of red or white acorns, I have seen the critters choose white.

When no choice but red, they eat those.

I have tried them but just the "meat" and yes they are bland. I thought maybe there was a way to roast and season them or spice them up.

Just a couple of leave pics, as Clint was interested. Some have not changed yet, while others are "falling like leaves".

I have not tried Acorn, but I read about them, you can eat them fro survival. Hickory is eatable also, in fact I think it is in the Pecan family.

Attachments

• Oct3-2014 001.jpg
    Oct3-2014 001.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Oct3-2014 002.jpg
    Oct3-2014 002.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 27
Got some color there Mike, but they are dropping fast up here. If that's a sign of what's to come I hope everyone has been successful scrounging. I can't remember when I have seen so many people going by the house with pick up loads of rounds. It's like all of a sudden a light went off in their heads telling them " you ain't got enough wood to make it to April"! I thought last year would be a wake up call - apparently not.

I have tried them but just the "meat" and yes they are bland. I thought maybe there was a way to roast and season them or spice them up.

You can make a flour paste with them. Indians used to soak them in a running stream to get the acidity out of them. Apparently If you split flour with acorn flour in cookies they become super moist and buttery.

Got some color there Mike, but they are dropping fast up here. If that's a sign of what's to come I hope everyone has been successful scrounging. I can't remember when I have seen so many people going by the house with pick up loads of rounds. It's like all of a sudden a light went off in their heads telling them " you ain't got enough wood to make it to April"! I thought last year would be a wake up call - apparently not.

I was talking to my log guy last Saturday when he was here for a birthday party and he said that they are out of log length firewood. It has disappeared and he has been hauling like crazy. Normally they have a bunch of it but not this year.

I looked at him and said "Out, Out........or just out." He grinned and said "Just Out." I said "Good."

I guess people have wised up after last year.

Good luck splitting the Elm!

Looks like a job for the Noodler.

You can make a flour paste with them. Indians used to soak them in a running stream to get the acidity out of them. Apparently If you split flour with acorn flour in cookies they become super moist and buttery.

Info saved under the Apocalyptic section of the cabinet for possible future reference.

Back