Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. Had the 290 but didn't use it... except when I pinched the bar.
emoji50.png
His (neighbour's) son-in-law limbed it up for us. Left the bigger stuff for me to buck.
Whoops, hate it when that happens lol.
Sounds like the whole thing went pretty fast. It usually does when you have the right equipment for the job.

Good afternoon buddy.
I know, and I knew that when saying it which is why I used the smiley.
I put it in there more for those who are reading it that are not familiar with grinding. As there are a lot of newbies on AS this time of the yr.
Are you off today.

I get it. Grinder plus new guy thinking sharpening with a grinder is a sure way to a sharp chain usually ends up with a really dull chain. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

On to other topics, I am not off today but I work behind a computer so its too easy to check every once in awhile when work is on the slower side. I will be off Thursday and Friday this week to celebrate my birthday.... all by myself on some trout stream....somewhere. Originally I had hoped that the ground would be frozen and I could run some saws with FS but this weeks weather is wet and rainy so those plans will need to be postponed until later this month.
My wife gave me my birthday present a bit early. I new rack for ultra thin hook storage boxes and a fly tying work station desk topper. She go me a fly material organization/travel bag for Christmas. I think she is saying I have an organization issue. But I'm not sure.

19ebc7b6b0413b1643604505208ebe34.jpg

In use. That grouse skin looks great.
4eca421b53e757fb74a2acda273e1432.jpg

Moving on to scrounging. I got an email from some friends that have some sycamore that needs picked up. Sounds like PENNDOT came through and trimmed their trees for them. I really don't need the wood but it is a great excuse to go see some friends I haven't heard from since the spring. If it helps them out a bit I'm in.

I also scrounged up a pop-up trailer. A family friend got a new hard sided camper and cant seem to find anyone that wants his pop-up camper. He says it needs a bit of TLC but was used last year. I figure it cant be too bad or he wouldn't be offering it to me. I never saw it opened up. He wants to show me the thing some time so I will get some pictures then. He doesn't want anything for it and he wont take out money so he will be receiving some gift cards to go out to eat at various restaurants around town. I cant just take something like that without showing some appreciation. I am pretty pumped as it will allow for some inexpensive overnight fishing trips across the state and also some cheaper family vacations as the girls get older.

Hope everyone had a safe and happy new year. Scrounge on gentlemen. :chainsaw::chop:

I get it. Grinder plus new guy thinking sharpening with a grinder is a sure way to a sharp chain usually ends up with a really dull chain. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

On to other topics, I am not off today but I work behind a computer so its too easy to check every once in awhile when work is on the slower side. I will be off Thursday and Friday this week to celebrate my birthday.... all by myself on some trout stream....somewhere. Originally I had hoped that the ground would be frozen and I could run some saws with FS but this weeks weather is wet and rainy so those plans will need to be postponed until later this month.
My wife gave me my birthday present a bit early. I new rack for ultra thin hook storage boxes and a fly tying work station desk topper. She go me a fly material organization/travel bag for Christmas. I think she is saying I have an organization issue. But I'm not sure.

19ebc7b6b0413b1643604505208ebe34.jpg

In use. That grouse skin looks great.
4eca421b53e757fb74a2acda273e1432.jpg

Moving on to scrounging. I got an email from some friends that have some sycamore that needs picked up. Sounds like PENNDOT came through and trimmed their trees for them. I really don't need the wood but it is a great excuse to go see some friends I haven't heard from since the spring. If it helps them out a bit I'm in.

I also scrounged up a pop-up trailer. A family friend got a new hard sided camper and cant seem to find anyone that wants his pop-up camper. He says it needs a bit of TLC but was used last year. I figure it cant be too bad or he wouldn't be offering it to me. I never saw it opened up. He wants to show me the thing some time so I will get some pictures then. He doesn't want anything for it and he wont take out money so he will be receiving some gift cards to go out to eat at various restaurants around town. I cant just take something like that without showing some appreciation. I am pretty pumped as it will allow for some inexpensive overnight fishing trips across the state and also some cheaper family vacations as the girls get older.

Hope everyone had a safe and happy new year. Scrounge on gentlemen. :chainsaw::chop:
Precisely, or a one that is very sharp for about 1 minute, ask me how I know LOL.
That is a very nice setup :clap:, glad your wife is helping you get organized :p.
I've never cut sycamore, I always thought they looked cool, and still do.
I said something about wanting to cut one up before and @farmer steve said don't waste my time, but if someone is offering free wood/needs a hand I would do the same :).

The popup sounds like a deal. They have a tendency to have damage from mice, while the larger unit's have water damage.
It should be great for what you want it for. I've bought a few just for a trip her or there and then sold them right afterwards to make a buck and get my cash back out of them, I tried to buy a huge 38 footer about 2 weeks ago I had found while looking at trailers but I was to slow, not sure what I would have done with it till spring :laugh:.

Happy new year to you to Trevor, and happy early birthday :cheers:.

Now there is an excuse to get a battery recip saw with some longish bimetal blades, when you absolutely know you will be cutting near fencing or posts.
Noted Zogger, must buy a new cordless saws all :chainsaw:, and another trailer to haul my saws LOL.
I have been amazed at how cheap the 20 volt dewalt drill kits were this yr. I'm wondering if dewalt will be pumping up sales an another design/battery type for this yr. I have an 18 volt drill and impact and they do a great job. I ran the impact against my buddies when building his pole building this summer and they were neck in neck but I was working a little faster so I did a bit more. The nice thing about his 20 volt is that it was a bit lighter.

I got a 18V impact not long ago, the thing is a beast! Saw the 20V stuff, but I got lots of 18V batteries, so did not want to switch. Have their impact, drill, sawzall, and light, and happy with all of em.

you know now that you can buy the adapter piece that will take you from the 20V Battery to the 18V i have started to switch over to this now as my batteries are going bad, and my drill crapped out so i have started to buy the 20V stuff to slowly convert over.
Now with the new 12v stuff coming out i'm pretty sure the new radios will charge 12v and 20V, at least this way you can slowly switch ovr and not have to sell everything you have. and start fresh, unless you have to make some Dewalt supplier happy haha

https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DCA182...=1483457485&sr=8-1&keywords=20v+to+18v+dewalt

I have used the pruning blades for years. Also the easiest way to work in thick shrubs and hedges.
image.jpeg
The standard, coarse tooth wood cutting blades are also a good choice for cutting roots below grade. The don't require a lot of digging, and are simple and inexpensive to replace.

Philbert

Thanks, that adapter thing is good to know about.

However, the 20 V tool cost more, and that 18 V impact (I got the most powerful of the 4 they make) is a brute. Take a saw clutch off once with it, and you will never do it by hand again! Just remember, they are REVERSE THREAD, don't mess up!

Ironically, the day after I got it, my trailer had a flat, so I got to use it real soon! Wish I had gotten it sooner, would have saved me a lot of headaches working on the saws (clutch removal).

Also got 13 pc sets of deep impact sockets for $20 on sale at HF. (Got them in metric & SAE)

When and were ?
How do I get the invite ?
you just got it.:laugh:
gotta work it in around some cold weather.(no mud) and some of the other guys work schedules but it will probably be on a friday. here at my place on the hill. your only 10-15 minutes away i think. nothing fancy just running some saws for the boys that don't get to cut to much. i have a couple of oak logs and an ash log to play with. i keep in touch via pm.

Back