Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had some 'low bid' tree guys working at a neighbor's house a few years back - I helped them with one of their chains, and another neighbor helped them with getting something else running. Got a full cord of maple set over the fence. They probably would have let me have the wood, and I probably would have helped then anyway.

Philbert

My saws were busy Fri morning. The owner wanted a couple of trees down, and I know you all always like to see pics. The 1st was about a 15" Black Birch and the second was just one leg of a Chestnut Oak (about 30"). The other leg will be a future project, I'll use ropes when I drop that because it can reach his house and does not have a lean like the leg I took down.

The owner was amazed that I dropped them both exactly where I told him. He previously had some second rate pros that did not do so well (there are other pros in my area that do outstanding work).

Did it all with square file chain, I'm starting to really like that stuff. I seem to be able to sharpen it fine (the chains are still relatively new) and I'm even getting faster at it. Not having any problems with it staying sharp even though some of those pieces of Oak were caked with mud. Both chains were still cutting well at the end of the project, so I sharpened them both after to be ready for next time. Used 20" bar on both saws, but next time I think I'll put the 24 on the 044.

One of the owners friends was trying to help out with a very small Stihl saw that was struggling to cut the Chestnut Oak branches. So I told him to use my 362 while I used the 044 on the trunk. He absolutely loved it, but when I asked him if the wanted to try my 044 (see what going to one GTG does to you?) he violently shook his head no and said he didn't need to run anything stronger than the 362.

The muffler port I put on the 362 does not seem to increase the noise when you are operating it, but you you are not the operator, that little saw sounds evil, and the 044 is running very strong with the duel port muffler and K&N filter. All and all it was a nice morning.

Some nice firewood that I will bring to my daughter.

Attachments

• May 3 2014 001.jpg
    May 3 2014 001.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 123
  • May 3 2014 003.jpg
    May 3 2014 003.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 138
  • May 3 2014 005.jpg
    May 3 2014 005.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 110
Getting ready to go check out a pile of what I was told to be Locust... What do you think is it Locust? Has no bark, and a lot bigger diameter than I have seen out of a Locust. Pic makes it look a little more yellow than it really is

Attachments

• locust 002.jpg
    locust 002.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 56
Getting ready to go check out a pile of what I was told to be Locust... What do you think is it Locust? Has no bark, and a lot bigger diameter than I have seen out of a Locust. Pic makes it look a little more yellow than it really is

It is hard to tell from a picture, and Locust can get big diameter, but that looks like Oak to me.

Stump looked like maybe Locust, had the looked like many multiple stems that formed tree, but about 18" at small side and around 30" at big side... I have seen locust around 18" and thats tops... This is big. Oak is good too, I am a scrounger so if it burns I like it.

Went out to grab a blowdown Norway pine. 22" dbh, blew down 3 years ago. Bucked it up and tried to put the Fiskars to it. The axe literally bounced out of the wood and water splashed me in the face. Was that wet all the way up to the crown. All of the wood was solid.

Left that in rounds till at least fall.

Scavenged 3/4 cord maple and birch from blowdowns instead.

Here's the Norway
image.jpg
The old 65 did well.
image.jpg
This stuff burns better anyhow.
image.jpg

Them developers sure are slowin down production :(

IMG_20140503_133631.jpg

I did manage to find an oak blow down back in there , hauled the top out , not sure what to do with the stem log , it's 17' long , straight and 11" at the small end , might have to try and get that out in one piece for sawing .
I still managed to add a bit of wood to the woodpile , I'd say it's better than pallets even if it's a small load :)

IMG_20140503_163223.jpg

That's the plan Clint , just add to the pile when I can :)
I picked up an old Planet Jr , hopefully I'll have it up and running next weekend . I hope it will pull the bigger sled or a small log arch .

Pretty much what I've got but no motor and it came with 2 bolt on wheel weights and tire chains .
I did bolt a Chonda motor to it but it makes it way too fast , I haveta run LOL , I need a motor with a built in reduction or I'll have to make one with a shaft and pulleys .
Mine came with a neat hood .

IMG_20140414_092054.jpg

Got a call from Pioneerguy600 , he dropped a pine for a fella this morning , no rush , get it when ever .
It's all gone LOL
It was close to home so I split , loaded and delivered 2 loads to a retired couple that I know , the old fella was happy , wanted to pay me , I told him he could do that If I bought the wood but not on free wood .
Now to try to get a load for me .

Up here we put kids to work as soon as they learn how to ride without training wheels .

c_eHcLqcbENZxNwEa_4ZEsYTCu-cfrlSzyLH0fKX0_E=w1098-h824-no

Problem is that it messes with my scrounging path :(

IMG_20140504_130542.jpg

So I did some scouting and found a couple of hardwood blowdowns :)

IMG_20140504_142141.jpg

Got them prepped for the "I'm not sure yet how to get them to the landing yet but I'll figure it out ."

The developer asked if I could drop a 5 small maple and oak beside a new construction , tall spindly trees .

IMG_20140504_143850.jpg

Wasn't much but it was an easy load , back right up to it :)

IMG_20140504_155647.jpg

Now to get that cord of oak that I've prepped out .

I've got it spread eveywhere behind the house right now , scrounging takes precedent over building a woodshed right now LOL
Best guess is 2 1/2 cord of softwood and 3 cord of hardwood , I'll be happy and relax a bit (NOT) when I have 10 cord .
The main place where I'm scrounging will come to an end soon so I'll get it while the getting's good , might be able to find another cord of hardwood there but at least 3 more cord of softwood and a couple of milling logs :)

One thing about getting out there and scrounging is that a fella can forget all his troubles .

IMG_20140504_143214.jpg

Like when you come across a lightning strike survivor , how loud was it , how big was the fireball , how bright was the flash , will lightning strike twice ?????
I love being out there :)

Latest posts

Back