Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most deer are curious about what U have cut and will come to investigate. U will always find deer print soon after U cut.

And MechanicMatt should know better. He challenged my 044 to a cutting contest only once ... that does not mean that I don't like his 372, it is a nice saw, but it does not out cut my 044.

heck there's firewood sellers down here that can't cut uniform. . . . . just because they burn 20" stuff they think that's the norm.

If you are scrounging or cutting for yourself, odd sizes are fair game. If you are in the business of selling it, you should be focused on your customers' needs and expectations.

I have mentioned that I have small, fireplace insert, and tend to cut and split my wood smaller. At more than one charity wood cutting event, I have seen guys staring at me, wondering why I was splitting stuff so small! Since then, I just ask the organizers what size wood we are shooting for at that event.

Philbert

I have the opposite problem, I used a 55 gal drum woodstove, so I tend to cut "long". But U are absolutely correct, when cutting for someone else, the first thing I ask is how long they want it, and I try to keep that in mind. Lucky for me, MechanicMatt also uses a 55 gal drum stove, so when I cut with him I can revert to my old ways!

You ask him if he owned the land or leased it ?
Shoulda told him you were tryin to spook the deer out to him .

I think he's just one of those nosy POS. Sorry, hope no young ears/eyes are reading this thread. People like him annoy the crap out of me. Breaking down what he told me, I deduced the owner of the land didn't have an issue with me getting the wood. Soooo, I went back there this morning and got another load lol.

SS, honda atv, fiskars spltter......you almost got a good thing going for ya, get rid of that german junk and get yourself a 372xp.......you'll never look back!

You have any idea how a 372 compares with a Makita 7901? I know you can make a 365 into a 372 and a 6421 into a 7901. Trying to figure out which one would be best.

Makita/dolmar, Husqvarna, Stihl.......truth be told are all excellent saws........I just think life starts at 70cc's. Run a properly tuned 72cc saw with a sharp chain in your firewood for one day and I quarantee you'll love it. I have smaller saws for limbing or in tree work, but my main bucking saw is over 70cc. Would love a 395xp but for the most the work I do my families stable of saws handles it just fine.

Went out today and found a midsize red maple blown over. split and stacked i got about 1/6 cord which is all my little trailer could handle. Atv would struggle to pull more in the snow anyway.

Went out in the morning and started and revved 4saws. 38 44 44 64. And ended up doing all the cutting with my husq51 lol.

Bit rough looking. I went to a HD in Delaware yesterday and asked the tool rental guy about a 6421 for sale. Said they just sold two for $215 each. They have two new ones so that means nothing available for at least 2-3 years from that store. :(

Ooopps!

Does really close to home count? Came home from visiting inlaws to find this in my back yard.

Technically, you need to offer it to another scrounger on the thread . . . .

That's the kind of tree I like to approach with a pole saw first - cut the smaller stuff to length while it is held out for you. Then just pick up the pieces. Kind of like a natural sawbuck.

Philbert

Does really close to home count? Came home from visiting inlaws to find this in my back yard.

View attachment 382847

Well , it looks kinda like a tree service dropping off some wood on your lawn out of the blue with just a little bit of resawing ......So it's a legit scrounge LOL

Latest posts

Back