Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That hurts too. I lost a big toe nail two years ago. It took a long time to grow back.

On another note, there's a local craigslist ad here with a John Deere 80ev saw for sale. My research says that it's a rebranded Echo CS-750 (mfd. 1978 - 1985), 78cc saw with a 30" bar and chain. The guy is asking $250 and I offered him $125. Still waiting on a reply. Probably won't happen, but I'm not sure that the saw is worth his asking price.
Never hurts to try.

Well, no log hauling today, it's warm as heck out and really muddy. My field is already a mess and it's supposed to be cooler the rest of the week. Not like I need the wood or anything. Might just go back in the 4 wheeler and cut some down though. Nice windy day, good for felling. Have in law Christmas today too, at least it's not at my house this year.

Well, I might have been a bit of a dumbazz. I'll just post a few pics. I'm leaving soon for Christmas if I don't post back tonight then tell the cops to look for a shallow grave behind my house. My wife's fingerprints will be on the shovel.
It was nice in the bush.
IMG_00001646.jpg
IMG_00001652.jpg
Then it got a little muddy, then the wheel popped off. No wait, 1st I busted the front chains off then I got really stuck.
IMG_00001664.jpg
I was only 20' from paradise or so I thought paradise. Yes I drove thru that fence cause once you start moving you don't just stop. Ah there was paradise where I buried it the 3rd time.
IMG_00001661.jpg
Because you see it wasn't paradise because I drove right into the municipal drain that was a little soft to say the least. And I almost hit my truck when I drove thru the fence. Because normally you would park beside the fence where it would be out of the way unless of course you planned to drive thru said fence.
But it did end well, I got the load to the pile. Tomorrow I will begin the repairs, it's going to be cold and frozen anyway so a good time to work inside. And for some reason my ribs are still sore but I wouldn't mention that to my lovey wife.
IMG_00001660.jpg
I have more pictures but I really don't think I should post them. I think you guys are smart enough to see a pattern here.

Well, no pics today...I went down to the other side of the farm to start on winter logging on my long term project, clearing down the side of a broiler house. Had some old oak already blocked in another place nearby, so I humped some outt through the @!#%^#$%#$ pickers. Hmm, I need to say %^&^$$%#%^$^ again.... Went heck with this after I got one row in the tote box, thought I would try to drag the top half of the tree out into the open, it isn't cut up yet all the way, still tons in it..no go, have to cut it into chunks, didn't have a saw with me. So then I went over and tried that on the top half of a shagbark I cut last winter, that's next to the cluckerhouse down in the weeds and swamp, that was a success, got it up into the open where it is level. I'll go cut it up tomorrow before it rains.

Well I finally had a bit of time to go get some of the logs I had drug to the roadside .

IMG_20141130_131020.jpg

IMG_20141130_131024.jpg

I had to try the new sharpening gizmo I had bought last week , I like it :)

IMG_20141130_132010.jpg

12" to 20 " LOL

IMG_20141130_140008.jpg

Goter done with the GB .

IMG_20141130_140359_1.jpg

I had backed it over the edge for easy loading , once I had 2 "ricks" of maple loaded I almost had a cantoo moment , thot I was gonna have to walk back to the tractor to drag it out :(
A little perseverance and tire smoke and I was on the way home LOL

IMG_20141130_142847.jpg

Found a small tree that was down. Maybe 7 or so inches at the base. Not sure what it is. Was throwing sparks every cut. Sure seems heavy aswell.

Then i saw a rather large blown over maple. Been there awhile but most was still good

Oh, I recognize that first one..an invasive species from..uhh..east jihadistan, Ferroustaunt Cussalotti

That's my guess and I'm stickin with it....

Looked over my future scrounging grounds today. Just in dead stuff, both down and standing; there has to be 30 cords or more. Its a mix of everything...maple, cherry, oak, minor amount of poplar and sassafrass. And that was just the first third of the property.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Looked over my future scrounging grounds today. Just in dead stuff, both down and standing; there has to be 30 cords or more. Its a mix of everything...maple, cherry, oak, minor amount of poplar and sassafrass. And that was just the first third of the property.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk
There you go!

I quit adding to my scrounge list when it hit 60 cords. With the only exceptions being oak, yellow birch, or other drive up access hardwood.

So tell me, is that 52 mm 044 an AM kit, or an OEM 046/460 jug? Is it ported? How does it compare to the regular 044?

Well it is an aftermarket 044 bigbore kit blows over 195Psi. At the time i thought it was a 046 jug but you learn things as you go on. The 044 50 mm has a huztl jug with a vec piston. The big bore seems to have the edge in low end grunt as it seems harder to stop in the cut but doesnt cut near as well in the midrange or top end powerband. Honestly im really suprised how well the huztl kit is. Saw sounds mean as hell and pulls a 25/28 bar easily.

Im thinking the 52mm saw wouldh handle a longer bar in hardwood better with that lower end torque

Latest posts

Back