Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks sir. Was about to ask what a scrench is but figured out it's the screwdriver/wrench thingy that came with my bada## Homelite. Don't have a compression tester. Would love to get one soon along with a rpm reader thingy, possibly.

I'm kind of nervous about driving up there. Not trying to be mean but this girl sounds real ghetto. Spoke really fast with a inner city type accent. Couldn't understand her. She couldn't find the model number of the saw soooo, if I drive the 1 1/2 hours up there and it turns out to be an electric chainsaw or something similar I'll have a hissy fit in front of everyone.
Just beware if testing compression on a saw with a release valve to make sure you are getting a true reading.

Thanks sir. Was about to ask what a scrench is but figured out it's the screwdriver/wrench thingy that came with my bada## Homelite. Don't have a compression tester. Would love to get one soon along with a rpm reader thingy, possibly.

I'm kind of nervous about driving up there. Not trying to be mean but this girl sounds real ghetto. Spoke really fast with a inner city type accent. Couldn't understand her. She couldn't find the model number of the saw soooo, if I drive the 1 1/2 hours up there and it turns out to be an electric chainsaw or something similar I'll have a hissy fit in front of everyone.

Modern cell phones are wonderful, they can send pictures and everything. Also, I'd recommend you meet said person at a public location like Denny's or maybe some other place that has security cams incase the person intends to do harm to you. I always carry a nice sharp 4-6" fixed blade in my back pocket in place of my wallet covered with a lose shirt. Cash and ID in my front pocket.

Just beware if testing compression on a saw with a release valve to make sure you are getting a true reading.

Roger that. Read about that in a thread here although I've never seen a release valve as of yet. No need for it on my 33cc Homelite.

Modern cell phones are wonderful, they can send pictures and everything. Also, I'd recommend you meet said person at a public location like Denny's or maybe some other place that has security cams incase the person intends to do harm to you. I always carry a nice sharp 4-6" fixed blade in my back pocket in place of my wallet covered with a lose shirt. Cash and ID in my front pocket.

Good advice but it's in the Home Depot tool rental department. If it was from a private seller I definitely would need to see pics first. I carry a clip on folding knife tucked into my pants at all times and a breaker bar in my car. You know, just in case.

No, I don't mind, just want to see you get a decent saw that works. You can learn to rebuild them later on in the winter on nasty days, then look for the bargains.

True, good advice right there. Man, you Georgia boys are some smart dudes.

I used one of these and removed the wheels. Plastic is raised and thicker on the end than a smooth barrel. Size is more compact for a single tree. Doesn't last as long a $150+ skidding cone, but it was surprising how many trees I skidded out with one before it wore out. Just rotate the barrel every twitch and it won't wear out as quickly.$15 bucks skidded a lot of logs.trash can.jpg

Good advice but it's in the Home Depot tool rental department. If it was from a private seller I definitely would need to see pics first. I carry a clip on folding knife tucked into my pants at all times and a breaker bar in my car. You know, just in case.
Must of missed that, thought it was private sale. I have had a few folding knived from S.O.G. They have a nice spring assisted opening to them. :D I foresee a derail coming about knives now. :D

He got his early training when he lived in Maine.;)

lol. @zogger is the best. He's been a huge help. Wish there were more like him around.

Must of missed that, thought it was private sale. I have had a few folding knived from S.O.G. They have a nice spring assisted opening to them. :D I foresee a derail coming about knives now. :D

Nice. I used to have a thing with knives, love them. Plus fountain pens, watches, and now chainsaws lol. I would like to have a spring assisted knife. Would think the sound of it flicking open would be a deterrent. Not as impressive as a pump action shotgun chambering a shell but a deterrent nonetheless.

lol. @zogger is the best. He's been a huge help. Wish there were more like him around.

Nice. I used to have a thing with knives, love them. Plus fountain pens, watches, and now chainsaws lol. I would like to have a spring assisted knife. Would think the sound of it flicking open would be a deterrent. Not as impressive as a pump action shotgun chambering a shell but a deterrent nonetheless.

The automatic knives are legal down here, I have seen them cheap at the gunshows, but never bought one. I carry a schrade old timer lockblade folder.

Hey Where did you get those plastic nose cones that go over the butt end of the log for skidding?

Those nose cones were discussed in a few posts a while back. Apparently, they are quite expensive, so guys were trying to make their own out of high density polyethylene (HDPE), cut up plastic barrels, bed liners, etc.

Philbert

(OOOPS! - my post missed a few others on this topic - 'smart phone' issue).

Ambull , if it's at HD just go there without reservation , if it looks good and at a price that if you have to throw 150$ into it and still be a good deal , go for it , if that puts you at the price of a new one , well , it's your money .
Cheap new saw that will work are the bigger Echos as well , with care they should cut all the firewood you or I would ever burn .
Clint , while the hd garbage can sounds like a good idea , I got my sled last winter after the snow fell and as soon as the doc took me off of all restrictions , I had holes in the bottom before the last of the snow melted and that was pulling by hand , not sure how a garbage can would look after being tied to the tractor or the van for a weekend LOL
I'm gonna try a 45 gallon drum cone but if I'm not happy with that , Santa's gonna buy me a new cone :)

Yeah the hd cans don't last that long over rocky ground. On the soft forest floor they last a surprisingly long time, which is what I was looking for. Just enough to snake them through the trees without getting snagged. Once in the clear I hooked them up with straight chain.

Ambull , if it's at HD just go there without reservation , if it looks good and at a price that if you have to throw 150$ into it and still be a good deal , go for it , if that puts you at the price of a new one , well , it's your money .
Cheap new saw that will work are the bigger Echos as well , with care they should cut all the firewood you or I would ever burn .
Clint , while the hd garbage can sounds like a good idea , I got my sled last winter after the snow fell and as soon as the doc took me off of all restrictions , I had holes in the bottom before the last of the snow melted and that was pulling by hand , not sure how a garbage can would look after being tied to the tractor or the van for a weekend LOL
I'm gonna try a 45 gallon drum cone but if I'm not happy with that , Santa's gonna buy me a new cone :)

I called them again and spoke to someone that seems knowledgeable. Said the saw is 175-200 psi compression, not sure how it could have so much variance. Pull handle 5-6 times and whatever number shows that's the compression but whatever. Said the piston has no scoring. The Echo CS590 and PP 5020AV were my 2nd and 3rd choice. Now I can finally stop looking at saws and just concentrate on scrounging.

Latest posts

Back