Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad I asked, always good to get feedback on what works, or not! I have heard a lot of good things about Huztl, and have a carb & coil from them on one of my 044s. I see they also started making cases & cranks for some saws.

Did U have to modify the jugs to get proper compression?

Nope i just use motoseal instead of a base gasket. 195 on the big bore and 175 on the 50mm. I figure 150-170 would be oem spec.

Yea ive ordered off them a few times and been happy. The only product that gave me grief was there ms660 tank handle. The choke lever sucks. But i made it work on my 064.

Since you guys are some of the friendliest/most helpful dudes on this site hopefully you can help me real quick! Found a HD 6421 for sale, about an hour away. I'm going to pick it up tonight. So lets see:
1) Hold handle and let saw drop to test compression.
2) Possibly unbolt muffler and unscrew spark plug to check for scoring.
3) Start up saw and see how it runs.

Anything I'm missing to test for a dud?

Most definitely run the saw, preferably under load.

I'd also pull the muffler for sure if the saw has any amount of hours. Can't tell much from pulling the plug unless there are major problems.

Feel the guy out....why is he selling? If he seems like a sophisticated saw guy with no real reason for selling versus homeowner Joe who bought it to cut down some trees on his property I'd investigate further.

Most definitely run the saw, preferably under load.

I'd also pull the muffler for sure if the saw has any amount of hours. Can't tell much from pulling the plug unless there are major problems.

Feel the guy out....why is he selling? If he seems like a sophisticated saw guy with no real reason for selling versus homeowner Joe who bought it to cut down some trees on his property I'd investigate further.

This is in a Home Depot. I called about 15 before I found one. I need to find a log on the way there lol.

Since you guys are some of the friendliest/most helpful dudes on this site hopefully you can help me real quick! Found a HD 6421 for sale, about an hour away. I'm going to pick it up tonight. So lets see:
1) Hold handle and let saw drop to test compression.
2) Possibly unbolt muffler and unscrew spark plug to check for scoring.
3) Start up saw and see how it runs.

Anything I'm missing to test for a dud?

Nothing, run it. Glad to see you are getting a saw!

I believe Sherrill sells them. Site sponsor.
As much as I try and point to site sponsors it's hard for me to do business with them unless they have a Canadian operation.... Shipping sucks and then there's the issue of crossing the border :(

Naww, glad you can ask questions here. One thing I carry when checking out a saw is a scrench and a compression tester. Only takes a minute to pull the plug and get a reading. A compression test can tell you a lot, not everything, but it's a good start.

As much as I try and point to site sponsors it's hard for me to do business with them unless they have a Canadian operation.... Shipping sucks and then there's the issue of crossing the border :(
I try to do business with sponsors also. OTOH I emailed/PM's three of them over the past year and never received an answer. Guess they had too much business.....

We do have some good sponsors on this site and some are on top of things with what appears to be exemplary customer service , DHT sure comes to mind .
Yes, I was very impressed with their immediate attention to issues. I've got a borrowed DHT at my house right now and wouldnt hesitate to purchase if I couldn't borrow this one.

Naww, glad you can ask questions here. One thing I carry when checking out a saw is a scrench and a compression tester. Only takes a minute to pull the plug and get a reading. A compression test can tell you a lot, not everything, but it's a good start.

Thanks sir. Was about to ask what a scrench is but figured out it's the screwdriver/wrench thingy that came with my bada## Homelite. Don't have a compression tester. Would love to get one soon along with a rpm reader thingy, possibly.

I'm kind of nervous about driving up there. Not trying to be mean but this girl sounds real ghetto. Spoke really fast with a inner city type accent. Couldn't understand her. She couldn't find the model number of the saw soooo, if I drive the 1 1/2 hours up there and it turns out to be an electric chainsaw or something similar I'll have a hissy fit in front of everyone.

Latest posts

Back