Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all, new member here from South East PA. I scrounged a load of oak logs from a guy down the road from me, this was the smallest of 3. Me and my little brother loaded these by hand. I didn't want to over load my Ram since it's a lease.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    588.3 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    590.6 KB · Views: 43
Hey all, new member here from South East PA. I scrounged a load of oak logs from a guy down the road from me, this was the smallest of 3. Me and my little brother loaded these by hand. I didn't want to over load my Ram since it's a lease.
Welcome X2. And a real nice load of oak as well. Not so sure about that white ground cover though. Yuck!

Welcome X2. And a real nice load of oak as well. Not so sure about that white ground cover though. Yuck!

This was actually about a year ago, I wish I found this site earlier, Theres some great info on here, saws, splitter, mauls whatever I want to lookup, seems I can find that info here!

While on the way home from picking up the kids, I was looking at some recently trimmed trees. About 15 minutes from home, I saw a freshly trimmed maple tree & a big stack of rounds set by the roadside. Hmmmm....decision time....should I make the promised beef stew for dinner, or drop the kids off at home, task my 17 year-old son with browning the beef, while making a scrounge-run.

The free firewood won.

While my son was tasked with browning the stew beef, I grabbed an overloaded 4x8 trailer's worth of decent rounds. My Subaru Forester took a bit longer than normal to brake at red lights, but I made it home OK.

Thanks to my pressure cooker, the beef stew was done in time for dinner. Tomorrow, I'll split the maple scrounge & add it to the child-slave-labor-wood-to-be-stacked pile.

Life is good!

image.jpeg image.jpeg This Is my scrounge for the next little while going to take abit to complete but I will get there. Dirty big old man pine approximately 85 years old.!!
I have only taken some limbs from the upper section of the tree as shown below. The head will finish next week and hopefully the massive trunk. image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Unfortunately I can't take credit for the drop of the head my good friend frank in the tree

Attachments

• trim.A90EC1DE-21F4-4E08-9B50-92309CC2329B.MOV
    8.7 MB · Views: 13
This was actually about a year ago, I wish I found this site earlier, Theres some great info on here, saws, splitter, mauls whatever I want to lookup, seems I can find that info here!
Welcome to the site 300zx. i was wondering about that white stuff. york co. here.

New splitter today .

IMG_20151023_190856.jpg

IMG_20151023_190939.jpg

http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...20866/Polyamide-cleaving-axe-37cm-1-950g.aspx

I got to go scrounge up some stuff tomorrow to try it out :)
Same length as the x25 , feels about the same weight but has a bit of arc on the handle , the head is about an inch longer but it is not as wide and has a bit more flare .
Good looking Stihl axe there...I'd be interested to hear how it stacks up against the "Almighty Fiskars?" lol

Welcome! You just found the best thread on AS. What part is of SE PA are you located. I am in Lancaster Co.

I know this is far from a major score, but I was really not trying to scrounge per say...just snooping around an old Park area and ran upon a "Black Locust Forest" YIKES!:happybanana:
Grabbed a few dead/down pieces and slung them in the bed of the truck, along with a colony of carpenter ants who seem to be most resistant against stock ant killer...
My wife loves a nice fire of black locust every since she saw woke up to a huge black locust log still burning after 7 hours!!!:surprised3::eek:

blacklocust1.jpg locust2.jpg

Managed to get out today and scrounged up a load of hardwood and spruce .

IMG_20151024_111425.jpg

Went back and got another load , this one will be cut up short and split up for sellin kindlin .

IMG_20151024_130459.jpg

Split up a some maple and white birch with the new splitter but those rounds proved not to be a challenge at all .

IMG_20151024_141402.jpg

I had some yellow birch , stringy and a bit more work so ,

IMG_20151024_142017.jpg

IMG_20151024_141833.jpg

IMG_20151024_144738.jpg

Even did a bit from that kiln dried tree :)

IMG_20151024_160121.jpg

I like the new splitter :)

Welcome aboard 300zx...lotta good wood cutting, saw luvin idiots here...me being one of 'em. That white stuff on the ground in your pics??...you'd think somebody would fine tune them combines...that's a lot of cotton and t-shirts they left on the ground, lol. ;) Welcome aboard.

Thanks to a tree ID thread in which @svk and some others chipped in I can say this was a big toothed poplar/aspen scrounge. The power company apparently took it down earlier this year. It's still pretty wet at 40% but maybe it will be useful towards the end of the burning season. If not it should be good next season.

uploadfromtaptalk1445732587187.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445732606746.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445732638511.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1445732701004.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back