Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zogger beat me to it. Some older Poulans and Craftsmans were good, solid saws. Depends what he had.

Philbert

I know, I'm still looking for a 655/5200/5400. He had a Wildthing Poulan. Hell, even my cheap crappy Homelite was a good cutting saw until I let it sit for over a year with ethanol mixed fuel.

Yes Steve, we plan on that. Will be nice to not sleep in a loft where you can not stand up in the am. The new one is 9.5' high in the middle, the collar ties are at 7'.

Also, the size of the cabin should be more compatible with the 55 gal wood stove. It is just too easy to over heat the little 12' X 20' cabin. The new cabin is 20' X 24' with almost 2 full floors (12' high walls instead of 8' walls). It will be a lot nicer. In the old cabin with 3 or more people with sleeping & hunting gear, you were just tripping over one another.

Got the quote

3500+ for rebuild 1 year parts warranty

3800 for recertified trans 3 year parts and labor

That just plain sucks. My initial reply was going to be something snarky like "GM Quality!", but bad things happen to all makers.

I had a '86 Toyota Celica that lost a wrist pin after 1 week of use, requiring a short block. It then started lunching (non-interference) timing belts & #1 connecting rod bearings on a regular basis (all covered by extended warranty).

My '95 Ford Probe was actually decent, with no major repairs except spark plug wires digested by oil leaking from valve cover gaskets over the years.

Our older Subarus (1999 Outback, 2007 Outback, 2003 WRX) all had failed head gaskets, requiring $$$ repairs.

It still sucks that your tranny failed after so few miles, and I hope that it keeps going for another 200K once you get it back in service.

Mike - my shed is as big as your old hunting cabin. My family hunting cabin isnt big but with three guys hunting out of it for a week we were crowded but not tripping over each other to much. I wish I had actual dimensions of the place. I may have to see what it is when I am up there again in a few weeks for first weekend on rifle deer season.

I'm very sorry for your car problems, and I'm grateful my Mustang (117,000 + miles) has been so reliable, but as an old timer on the site, I can easily remember when no one expected a car to last for 100,000 miles, especially not one used for towing. I'm kind of smirking about the differences production quality, synthetic oils, better anti freeze, etc have made. I know they now cost a lot more, but expectations from a vehicle have really changes, I would never expect a manufacturer to cover anything with over 100,000 miles.

The old cabin was a huge improvement over staying in the tent. It was build on a shoestring budget. I pre fabed all the lumber in my driveway, and my brother, nephew and it set it up in a weekend. It was a Godsend to have a warm dry place to return to after spending time in the woods. We built it in 91, so it served it's function. Will now be just a storage/work shed.

When my Uncle was still alive, we sometimes had 5 in the old cabin. Spent a lot of time moving stuff between the cabin & the car.

3 slept up in the loft, with no head room, and two down below, with the ladder to the loft between them. The stove and Bluestone table occupied the rest of the downstairs space.

It was very tight, but it beat the heck out of staying in a tent!

Hey, one of you guys needs to grab that mastermind ported 394 in the tradin post, before one of the cookie cutters gets it! hahahaha! I have run two of his saws, a ported to cut firewood 084, freakin freight train, and a ported 3120 for aussie post ripping racing, geez loweez, jet turbine. He knows what he is doing.

Today :)

93746.jpg

Hey, one of you guys needs to grab that mastermind ported 394 in the tradin post, before one of the cookie cutters gets it! hahahaha! I have run two of his saws, a ported to cut firewood 084, freakin freight train, and a ported 3120 for aussie post ripping racing, geez loweez, jet turbine. He knows what he is doing.

If only I had unlimited funds....

Back