Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why on earth would any body put smaller hoses on any hydraulic system? It is just not done. There are many reasons that it can not be done besides slowing everything down. You could put 2'' hose and not cause any problem, but not smaller. I have always added much more HP and larger pump with larger hoses 1'' or larger. The cylinder does not know the difference except it moves faster. And there is no danger in damaging the system or cylinder because most systems top out at 3,000 psi. There are numerous places to order ready made hoses that are inexpensive. Also do not forget the system needs to be filtered. So if you are upgrading add another filter or get a larger volume one. Thanks

Got the Predator on the splitter. I've got a couple new hoses and fittings to install tomorrow.

IMG_20160422_225743191_zpseaqlulvn.jpg

If I switch to 1/2" lines down from 3/4" on the pump to valve and from valve to cylinder out what's going to change? Higher pressure? More load on the engine?
Pressure will remain the same. Flow (speed) will go down considerably and more heat will be created. If the pump and valve had 3/4 hoses from the factory, stick with that.

Pressure will remain the same. Flow (speed) will go down considerably and more heat will be created. If the pump and valve had 3/4 hoses from the factory, stick with that.
Thanks to everyone for the info. The factory was at home on this one, we dun maked it. Looks like I'm off to Napa when they open.

Finally got this headache saw running. It about drove me nuts. When I did the carb kit I changed out the needle valve, arm and spring. Well after fighting with it for a month. I gave up a few times. It dawned on me that I was getting to much fuel. This morning I tore it down put the old needle valve, arm and spring back in. Reassembled. Pulled a few times and vroooom. The spring in the kit was larger and thinner than the original and the needle valve arm had a different angle than the original. I had this saw apart about 100 times. I ended up putting a new coil, starter handle, spark plug, carb kit, and air filter in this non runner my dad dropped off. It's alive I just need to put it in some wood for final adjustments. Heck of a learning saw.

319ec4cbbdba3a21b825a94d084153fd.jpg

fd65376eceba593543699ceac6eef4ab.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the info. The factory was at home on this one, we dun maked it. Looks like I'm off to Napa when they open.
Hey did you guys know that 4 pcs 3/4" hydraulic hose w with 90°s cost nearly 700$. Yeah, I'll make due with what I have. If I blow one I have 2 pcs of 1/2" that'll get me by.

Finally got this headache saw running. It about drove me nuts. When I did the carb kit I changed out the needle valve, arm and spring. Well after fighting with it for a month. I gave up a few times. It dawned on me that I was getting to much fuel. This morning I tore it down put the old needle valve, arm and spring back in. Reassembled. Pulled a few times and vroooom. The spring in the kit was larger and thinner than the original and the needle valve arm had a different angle than the original. I had this saw apart about 100 times. I ended up putting a new coil, starter handle, spark plug, carb kit, and air filter in this non runner my dad dropped off. It's alive I just need to put it in some wood for final adjustments. Heck of a learning saw.

Congrats on getting it up and running. Don't you hate that ****? "I fixed it", "no I didn't" x25 or 30 tries until you finally get it right.

sthil looking for a chain brake handle for ya NA. anyone out there got one?

Hey did you guys know that 4 pcs 3/4" hydraulic hose w with 90°s cost nearly 700$. Yeah, I'll make due with what I have. If I blow one I have 2 pcs of 1/2" that'll get me by.
Think you need to shop around. Can buy a whole splitter for that!

Yeah, I understand Napa quality, but not too that point.
your in KS. gotta be a small mom and pop tractor shop that makes hoses nearby. google is your friend.

I did a half day of cutting and splitting on Friday, and headed to the Upstate NY GTG tomorrow.

I planned on mostly splitting, but every time I go over there he wants some more trees down. Dropped about 7 trees, two mid size and the rest small (some very small). But the 2 mid size trees (a Black Birch & a Hard Maple) gave my recently acquired MS440 a good workout. I won't say it is anything special, but it is a solid runner, and it got the job done. I'm also pleased to have been able to clean up the fried jug and get it running for next to nothing.

Hope everyone has a good time tomorrow.

I did a half day of cutting and splitting on Friday, and headed to the Upstate NY GTG tomorrow.

I planned on mostly splitting, but every time I go over there he wants some more trees down. Dropped about 7 trees, two mid size and the rest small (some very small). But the 2 mid size trees (a Black Birch & a Hard Maple) gave my recently acquired MS440 a good workout. I won't say it is anything special, but it is a solid runner, and it got the job done. I'm also pleased to have been able to clean up the fried jug and get it running for next to nothing.

Hope everyone has a good time tomorrow.
Have fun! If ctyank shows up let him try some of your saws :D

Not a real scrounge but might save me some time and money. Amish built wagon, he used it for corn silage. I plan to modify it and use it for a rounds live deck instead of using my dump truck. Hydraulic drive and truck tires. $200 Canadian so about US $ 15.00 I have to raise it up but might just angle it up instead. I also bought another Steiner, a deck and a blade for it. And a cultivator and conveyor rollers. Pics of them tomorrow.
IMG_20160423_195731.jpg IMG_20160423_195722.jpg IMG_20160423_195713.jpg IMG_20160423_152229.jpg

Congrats on getting it up and running. Don't you hate that ****? "I fixed it", "no I didn't" x25 or 30 tries until you finally get it right.
Yep. Last two weeks or so it started on the first pull on fast idle then Rev up but it died as soon as I let off the throttle and it was flooded. Then put it on the shelf for a week or two. An additional challenge is all the parts are eBay scrounged because parts are NLA. Last part was the coil and it sat in the shipping envelope for 2 weeks before I felt like aggravating myself to put it on. I have a lot to learn still but I kind of like this small engine repair as a hobby.

Latest posts

Back