Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Load 5. All elm we think.

b578f55ae39ec524f3c47c6485cbcd83.jpg

sent from a field

View attachment 538225 View attachment 538224

Got a big one on the ground today me my buddy had our work cut out for us. I'm 6 4 and it's about the same at the base where it forks at is over 8. Figured I post to show @Cowboy254 some red gum over here in California. Sure was fun to get to cut again I even got to try out the 046 hydrid I got from deets and it is a beast

Plowboy that is one heck of a tree. Did you need a background check and permit to own that saw in CA it seems as though it would be mighty dangerous and be regulated by the overreaching CA legislature. I am only kidding. I just couldnt help myself as I wonder what universe some of the laws in California came from. Nice saw by the way.

When are you blokes going to come scrounging with me anyway?
When you come to this side of the world where every critter isnt out to maim, poison, or kill you.

Marshy, I've only bought a couple of brand new stoves but when I did I just fired them outside for a day or so to burn the stink out of them. Took a couple of days for my Hotblast but was worth it. I'm sensitive to a lot of smells so I always keep stuff like this in mind. Just spent a stormy day in the shop and was doing some wood working using a router and a grinder with flap wheel and the dust is now killing me. By tomorrow my voice will be pretty well shot due to the dust in my throat. It's getting worse as I get older and too stubborn to wear my dust mask.

Went out to the houselot this afternoon , figured I'd get sumthin done today as the rain held off to a bit of come and go drizzle .
I forgot to grab my pintle hitch at the shop so I had to improvise .

20161120_112216.jpg

It worked fine :)

20161120_120231.jpg

Until I got stuck in the mud with a granite rock between the tractor and winch , it don't take much to bind up a little tractor lol

20161120_120614.jpg

A bit of shoveling and off I went .

20161120_121934.jpg

20161120_130507.jpg

I picked up some more Zoggerwood on the way out and gave this load away , Billy was happy to get it , said he was going to use some to fix a few fenceposts around the house and cut up the rest for next year , I told him to build a sawhorse because there was more wood on the way .

I went back after lunch , wanted to swap the winch onto the 336d .

20161120_154623.jpg

Since it all went smooth I drug out a spruce blowdown .

20161120_160313.jpg

20161120_160319.jpg

All rotten and shaggy looking , here's why , white sawdust

20161120_160602.jpg

20161120_162943.jpg

20161120_160810.jpg

Solid core and dry , even had that turps smell when I split it , too good to pass up :)

View attachment 538225 View attachment 538224

Got a big one on the ground today me my buddy had our work cut out for us. I'm 6 4 and it's about the same at the base where it forks at is over 8. Figured I post to show @Cowboy254 some red gum over here in California. Sure was fun to get to cut again I even got to try out the 046 hydrid I got from deets and it is a beast

That's awesome! What dreams are made of! It'd make a beautiful tabletop

Finally got an air compressor yesterday. Got the new kobalt quiet tech one. It's crazy quiet no where near as loud as the pancake ones much less the old oil 220v compressors I'm used to. Has to run a lot more, but it handles my needs right now. ( I have an old 50s model craftsman 220v compressor, just waiting to build my shop to hook it up. My circuit breaker is full.) Got my saws all cleaned up and had to put my new stihl full chisel chain on my cs590. Wow what a difference. I noodled some pieces up and it was effortless. Going to start buying stihl chains from now on for all my saws.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Plowboy that is one heck of a tree. Did you need a background check and permit to own that saw in CA it seems as though it would be mighty dangerous and be regulated by the overreaching CA legislature. I am only kidding. I just couldnt help myself as I wonder what universe some of the laws in California came from. Nice saw by the way.

When you come to this side of the world where every critter isnt out to maim, poison, or kill you.
Lol yeah the saw is very dangerous. It gave me 13 stitches last year when I tripped over some branches limbing with it. It wasn't bad though right above the knee and didn't bleed much. That damn saw causes cancer in California also I can't figure why it doesn't in any of the other 56 states. Sorry Obama joke

Mate, that's a beauty, that'll keep you warm for a while. It looks like the top had been taken off it fairly recently. Red gums coppice pretty well from a low cut stump and a tree that big will have a great root system that will produce another good load of wood in no time if you cut it off 2-4 inches above the ground. I love red gum. I've never had the opportunity to cut one but I've burned a bit from time to time and it's great firewood. I hope you've got a hydro splitter BTW!
The guy that had it in his back yard paid some guys to cut it down for him about 3 years back. I'm thinking they gave up when they started getting into the big wood. It worked out for me they left the last 35ft of it just had to drop it. Didn't get nothing done on it today rained all day. I was hoping to get the rest cut up and start splitting always next weekend I guess. If you ever get out this way there plenty more to cut up

Hi guys. Left MN just in time on Friday heading south. Last I heard the town near my hunting cabin led the nation in snowfall from this storm with over 2' on the ground.

Spent last night with my uncle at his place in western NC. What a beautiful, remote, rugged area. Didn't see any wildlife but I scored an invite for turkey hunting. :D

Did I mention the trees down there? There's hardly a tree on his property that isn't a 16-30" oak of some type.

He is a very efficient scrounger. He walks up the hill behind his house and cuts rounds off blow downs and they just roll down the the landing behind his house.

He's running two 42 cc saws (one Husky and one Poulan) so I'll be sending one of my larger saws down there for permanent vacation so he can attack the bigger trees.

I guess I forgot to get pics of his two nice Federal stoves.

IMG_6264.JPG IMG_6266.JPG

IMG_6263.JPG

Well, it's all relative. Today's scrounging revealed this little guy, or rather, girl. I saw it after I had carried the piece of peppermint it was sitting on 20 metres to the trailer, during which time it didn't bite me...that's a little win right there. No-one has died from a redback bite for years since the antivenom was developed. That said, I was 100km from the nearest major hospital. Those bites do hurt like f@&k though and liquefy tissue, I'd rather get bitten by that big b@stard from yesterday than the redback. If you're scrounging coming into summer, you just have to accept that bitey things are going to be around and get on with the job. When are you blokes going to come scrounging with me anyway?

View attachment 538238

In my parts i can run naked through the woods and take a nap in a field, the only thing to worry about is a tick that may have lime disease.

Latest posts

Back