Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raining out here right now and the roads are slick. I moved a ton of snow today to help the melt because it's going to turn cold again and it would be a mess. I took the grapple off because working in the bush will be done now until we get another melt. We had 2 days of high winds and snow so there are big drifts everywhere that are going to be hard as rock. I might start cutting up the ash limbwood into 48" lengths and stack it in the wood crates for the OWB. Or I might just take a rest and get a couple of things off the honey do it or else list. Never know when you might want to be on her good side. I left a phamplet on the kitchen table. Kubota-L48-TLB-backhoe_large.jpg I haven't told her that the clutch is fine now, it was just the rim bolts.

Knowing some of the things I know about livestock breeding, there is probably no breed, livestock or dog, that is 100% "pure". Breeds are created usually by crossing different breeds to start with, and then selecting for, and trying to concentrate the traits that are desired. So if a Whippet is a small greyhound, a "purebred" Whippet should come back as having a lot of greyhound DNA in it.

Another thing is that sometimes a breeder will use something in his program that isn't "pure", (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge) but has some of the desired traits, to speed up the process of getting his product to look or perform as desired.

A third thing is that the DNA of your dog has to be compared to some standard DNA from the various breeds to say it matches this or that. Three different laboratories could have used three different sources for their standardized DNA. With the variation that exists in breeds, they probably each have different standards for what labrador DNA , for example, looks like. Those smaller percentages may be part of the make-up of one of the breeds. Depending how far back a breeder introduced something into his line, that smaller percentage could be fairly large.

A Heinz 57 dog, not being selected for certain traits, often at the expense of some other desirable traits, is often smarter, better natured and healthier than many purebreds. Stirring up the gene pool is often a good thing.

Knowing some of the things I know about livestock breeding, there is probably no breed, livestock or dog, that is 100% "pure". Breeds are created usually by crossing different breeds to start with, and then selecting for, and trying to concentrate the traits that are desired. So if a Whippet is a small greyhound, a "purebred" Whippet should come back as having a lot of greyhound DNA in it.

Another thing is that sometimes a breeder will use something in his program that isn't "pure", (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge) but has some of the desired traits, to speed up the process of getting his product to look or perform as desired.

A third thing is that the DNA of your dog has to be compared to some standard DNA from the various breeds to say it matches this or that. Three different laboratories could have used three different sources for their standardized DNA. With the variation that exists in breeds, they probably each have different standards for what labrador DNA , for example, looks like. Those smaller percentages may be part of the make-up of one of the breeds. Depending how far back a breeder introduced something into his line, that smaller percentage could be fairly large.

A Heinz 57 dog, not being selected for certain traits, often at the expense of some other desirable traits, is often smarter, better natured and healthier than many purebreds. Stirring up the gene pool is often a good thing.
Thats why I like my Oops puppies. The mixed ones or ones not from a special snowflake blood line seem to have better personalities. Or maybe its the ones raising them. This one is always happy to play and make everyone smile. Always wagging and wiggling. labrador for scale.jpg

Raining out here right now and the roads are slick. I moved a ton of snow today to help the melt because it's going to turn cold again and it would be a mess. I took the grapple off because working in the bush will be done now until we get another melt. We had 2 days of high winds and snow so there are big drifts everywhere that are going to be hard as rock. I might start cutting up the ash limbwood into 48" lengths and stack it in the wood crates for the OWB. Or I might just take a rest and get a couple of things off the honey do it or else list. Never know when you might want to be on her good side. I left a phamplet on the kitchen table. View attachment 549851 I haven't told her that the clutch is fine now, it was just the rim bolts.
Could always "re allocate" the "broken clutch" funds to a new firearm. . . can never have enough of them...lol
Just putting it out their. . . [emoji15]
They told me the was a chance deisle would make 90-100 pounds sead they got different sized dogs with the corso pit cross breeding. Depends on which dogs they breed at that time.

When my cousin sold his business to his Brother In Law, part of the deal was a load of firewood every year, and a crew of men and at least one climber for a day, every year. Here's his load of wood. He doesn't care about length. I'm real particular about mine, every piece measured. He was happy, I'd pass, even for free. Wouldn't be able to make nice long racks, Joe.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Thanks. That is real interesting. I have seen the Heinz 57 (mutts) qualities shine many times. Some breeds have been ruined by breeding for show. Irish Setters comes to mind. I do confess though that I thoroughly have enjoyed my so called pure bred Golden Retrievers.

Woodtick, my gun cabinet is already overflowing and other than shooting at a fox last year I haven't shoot any in 3 or 4 years. Pretty sure it's a real strong No on any new tractor purchase anyway. And a lot more snow than I expected melted during the rain so sounds like the bush is going to get a visit this weekend. We're expecting rain turning to freezing rain so that usually means firewood on the lawn. Pics from a couple of years ago.
may 01-13 585.jpg

Its been months since I ran my saws. I was really hoping this winter weather would bring down more free trees. Nothing on Craigslist 'free' section for a while.

My pooch..

8880974172_47ce70c037_b.jpg

Tax Season is only 3 weeks away, but another one of the local tree guys decided he wanted me to fix a few of his saws.There are more, this is just the first batch, 6 - MS 460s, 2 - 066s. One 460 is crushed beyond repair, and is just a parts saw. I got one of them running today, but it won't oil, even after I installed the oiler from the crushed saw ... AAAAGGGGHHHH!!! Sometimes, it is not fun!

FYI, none of the 460s have burned pistons ... I'm shocked!

Attachments

• IMG_20170111_122409860 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170111_122409860 (Large).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
Well another scrounging adventure fueled by my wife's love for the attributes of black locust: "Burns Hot & Burns Long!"l:numberone:
No pun intended. lol
This load may look paltry, but this stuff was heavy as lead!!:muscle:
PURE GRAVY!!--laying innocently on the banks of one of our favorite State Parks!

So far my record on black locust burn times in our traditional fireplace is about 6 hours!:dizzy::yes:
I'm still in awe of black locust & osage orange...I love osage as well...all except the "Fireworks Show."
20170111_182536.jpg 20170111_182552.jpg 20170111_182754.jpg 20170111_182707.jpg

Well the rain quit before it got cold so no close to the house firewood. Set a house in Collingwood today and just got home awhile ago. Loggers are cutting just down the road from me. Local cash crop farmer has them do all his farms on a pretty regular basis. I know I could get all the wood I want for next to nothing from them as they usually just let the tops rot. One of those deals that would be great but I already have my hands full right close to home so best not to ask as I would just work myself to death for firewood that I can't seem to sell. There sure is a big pile of logs there and they have been hauling them away steady too.

I had to put a fireplace screen in front of my firepit over the summer. Some of the kiln dried pallet wood I was burning would launch coals into my lap.
I had one from the firepit go down the neck of my shirt. Still have the scar on my stomach and it burned a hole through the shirt too. Luckily it was only a pea sized ember!

It's down to -10 with 25 mph gusts. I don't really care what windchill factor that is because it is too cold to mess with. Cancelled tonight's cutting to wait for another day.
steve, it's so danged cold I didn't even feel like venturing out 3 miles to the heated 8x16 fish house... it can wait ! at least the holes wont freeze over.... lol

Latest posts

Back