Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it has been stinking hot here this week but we had a cooler change with some showers this morning. Good enough for me! Off to the farm. It seems to be as much a blackberry farm as beef now.

12th Feb 14.jpg

However, I was able to scrounge a few berries for Cowgirl to make stuff with.

12th Feb 16.jpg

Orright, enough mucking around. Time to find some proper scrounge.

12th Feb 13.jpg

A good size peppermint, and wouldn't you know it, it fell over a couple of minutes later. I'm having some good luck with this.

12th Feb 12.jpg

Most of it was pretty good with very few termites. It did however have high spider content. I know @CaseyForrest likes the wildlife shots. As I was down on one knee to buck, this one got to within a few inches from my groin before I noticed him.

12th Feb 9.jpg

There were some crappy bits in the mid-section of the trunk but the upside was that they split themselves.

12th Feb 11.jpg

There was plenty of nice wood in this one.

12th Feb 5.jpg

There was a bit of rain around, enough to get wet but not too horrific and it helped with my thermoregulation.

12th Feb 6.jpg

I reckon I ended up with maybe 2/3 of a cord out of this tree, maybe a bit better. I'll find out when I load it up in the trailer I guess.

12th Feb 7.jpg

Too wet to drag the trailer around the farm today, but I did chuck some in the back to help with traction getting out.

12th Feb 4.jpg

More pics to come... :)

I'm afraid my scrounging is done for a little while. Went to the doctor Thursday afternoon and tested positive for both strep and flu. On my way home, I was hit by a "tourist" who was speeding on snow covered roads in a bigger Audi car. He was losing it in a turn when I saw him, and I couldn't get over far enough. My door was tore off, though it feels like it was wrapped around my ribs as they are banging. I didn't fall out of the car, and I feel blessed to have my left arm, leg, life, etc. Ambulance driver said I made out lucky getting hit by a car like that. I'm in need of a vehicle now, but I'm planning to rest up all weekend and hopefully start dealing with it more on Monday. Never made it to the sport show.

View attachment 557462
Glad it wasn't worse, get better soon.

I'm afraid my scrounging is done for a little while. Went to the doctor Thursday afternoon and tested positive for both strep and flu. On my way home, I was hit by a "tourist" who was speeding on snow covered roads in a bigger Audi car. He was losing it in a turn when I saw him, and I couldn't get over far enough. My door was tore off, though it feels like it was wrapped around my ribs as they are banging. I didn't fall out of the car, and I feel blessed to have my left arm, leg, life, etc. Ambulance driver said I made out lucky getting hit by a car like that. I'm in need of a vehicle now, but I'm planning to rest up all weekend and hopefully start dealing with it more on Monday. Never made it to the sport show.

View attachment 557462
glad your ok plowboy. hope you get to feeling better soon.

Hey cowboy I see you have 2 saws, I know you have a 661...... what's the other one?

Hey Jeff,

That's a 460. When people ask me why I need 2 saws for, I say "The first saw is to get into trouble, the second saw is to get me out of it". And then they ask what the third saw is for. "Well that's for getting the other two out of trouble". What happens when that one gets stuck as well? I suppose I'll have to get a 4th saw. Of course, I'm going to get a 4th saw anyway because the proper number of saws to own is "n+1" where "n" is the number that you currently own.

Today's scrounging had its challenges and frustrations. As it happens, the 460 got pinched today and I couldn't free it, but Limby came to the rescue.

12th Feb 10.jpg

Very nice line up cowboy... yeh I know about the n+1 rule. My wife knows about it too. She can't understand why I have a steel, aluminium, titanium and carbon fiber push bike. She can't understand why I have 3 chainsaws. I did however consolidate all my fish tanks into one......it's a 1000 litre monster, even reinforced the floor of the house. She has accepted that one :).
So what's your next saw going to be?
Jeff

Very nice line up cowboy... yeh I know about the n+1 rule. My wife knows about it too. She can't understand why I have a steel, aluminium, titanium and carbon fiber push bike. She can't understand why I have 3 chainsaws. I did however consolidate all my fish tanks into one......it's a 1000 litre monster, even reinforced the floor of the house. She has accepted that one :).
So what's your next saw going to be?
Jeff

Well, eventually Stihl will MTronic the 880...

I have a 310 that I haven't used since I got the 460 about 5 or 6 years ago. The thing is that the 460 is small enough to do the small jobs without me getting tired so I don't really need the smaller saw. So the only way to go is bigger!

On the MTronic, Limby and I have come to an understanding. You don't set it to "Start" for a warm re-start. Flick it to "Start" then back to "Run" before pulling the cord, a bit like leaving the choke full open on the 460 when warm. I haven't needed to use the @MustangMike start trick since, but it's a good fall back position if all else fails.

I guess it's a two stroke after all and has a reputation to up hold ( they all have their little idiosyncrasies) once you know what the little tricks your laughing. Have you thought about selling the 310 and buying a little saw like a 241 or 261. I have a 550xp and they are so nice to throw around on the smaller stuff. A brand new small ported Stihl can be had from the states for less than buying a stock one here. Are you really sure you want an 880.

View attachment 557528

I was having trouble standing, so not much came out. Yeah I think they figured AWD luxury can do anything. Police aren't even writing a report.

A friend of mine is a Howard County cop, when I got rear ended, and the kid tried to skip out on me, my friend said no matter if you are hurt or not, go to the hospital. If everyone leaves they don't do a report because they didn't see what happened, so their testimony isn't regarded. If someone goes to the hospital, they "Have" to do a report. I got lucky and found his address and talked to his mother. First thing Monday morning his insurance company called and took care of everything. Good luck and heal up, Joe.

Most of it was pretty good with very few termites. It did however have high spider content. I know @CaseyForrest likes the wildlife shots. As I was down on one knee to buck, this one got to within a few inches from my groin before I noticed him.

View attachment 557630

As a young child, we spent a few years in a very rural area of Florida. Playing with the lizards, finding rattle snake nest, and dealing with the ground bees didnt bother me all that much. I did get bit by an Eastern in my hand being stupid.... I even took a dead baby into elementary school for show and tell. I got 3 days off for that one.

What left an impression was the need to check the beds prior to sleep for the scorpions.....

A friend of mine is a Howard County cop, when I got rear ended, and the kid tried to skip out on me, my friend said no matter if you are hurt or not, go to the hospital. If everyone leaves they don't do a report because they didn't see what happened, so their testimony isn't regarded. If someone goes to the hospital, they "Have" to do a report. I got lucky and found his address and talked to his mother. First thing Monday morning his insurance company called and took care of everything. Good luck and heal up, Joe.

I went to ER. Still no report. They said they're too busy because of the snow. Honestly, the officer I sat with at the scene was nice and said don't worry. I figured they were taking care of it. Stopped at the barracks yesterday and different officers there. They were ignorant-like we shouldn't dare to ask for a report. I tried to muscle up at the wreck, tell myself I'm ok, and waited for my wife. Went to ER with her. Now they say I should've used ambulance. This society is built for people that want to play victim-that ain't me. I tried to stay strong. Dude that hit me was cruising in an 80k 4500lb luxury car with 450hp twin turbo. Everyone there said it was clear what happened. I think I was still in shock, half knocked out, etc. I know on the way and in ER I had headaches and was throwing up. Main worry now is insurance companies, but the officer on the scene says he hit me with his front on my door so it should be clear. Main thing is I'm alive and on the mend!

Back