Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a chance to play with saws this afternoon although only ran one for a few seconds.

Mocked up a couple new bar/chain combos to make sure they worked-two did, the third needs a link removed.

Also last night I took all the chains I could find and bagged them in quart sized ziplocks. Then I labeled each bag and put all chains of a common DL/gauge in a gallon ziplock. Only problem is I'm missing several chains that I though should have been "in the pile" and can only hope they are somewhere else in the garage or riding around in the truck that I leave at the cabin.

Joe, what is that early 60s Ford in the back of your pic???

I was wondering if anyone would notice it. I retired from UPS and when I had a delivery route I used to joke and tell friends if they wanted an old car, tell me, and within 48 hours I would find one. I found a 68 Firebird for another friend in less than 24 hours. My hunting buddy told me to keep my eye out for a 63 Galaxy convert. A couple days later I called him and asked if he would settle for a 63 Merc Monterey convert . So, it's a 63 Merc, 390 auto. He also has a 67 Chevelle 283 auto. I have a 68 Plymouth Formula S convertible 383, 4 speed, all numbers matching, second owner, Joe.

I definitely hear ya on the stopping part. I'm thinking of putting brakes on my little trailer and wiring the jeep up for trailer brakes. Unfortunately it's low on my list, so for now I'm mainly below 40mph and geared down.
The rear discs from a grand Cherokee are a pretty easy swap and a big improvement over the stock rear drums on the wrangler and can be done pretty cheap with junk yard parts. I plan on putting jeep liberty rear discs on my Cherokee over the summer.

View attachment 560528 Enough snow melted during last nights thunderstorms to reveal my noodling blocks. So I fired up the 460 and noodled a few chunks of gnarly maple . The excuse was bedding for my chickens but really I was just itching to run a saw. Wind is howling off the lake and temps are dropping. Supposed to get some squalls later so I'll clean up the saw and put her away for a few more weeks.
I was itchin the same at my place so I cut a few ash rounds I had from last Fall.

The rear discs from a grand Cherokee are a pretty easy swap and a big improvement over the stock rear drums on the wrangler and can be done pretty cheap with junk yard parts. I plan on putting jeep liberty rear discs on my Cherokee over the summer.
What year Cherokee?
Mine was ok with stock drums for the ten years I owned and drove it. I pulled many trailer loads with it too. But it did come with the towing pkg and the Chrysler 8.8 rear diff.
Picture 007b.jpg

I have never been a fan of Jeeps of anykind. I always figured if I was going to go off road, it was because I needed to haul something in or out. A 4x4 pickup is a better tool for doing that. On the other hand, my wife has wanted a CJ every since we have been married. After 41years of marriage, we still havent ever owned a jeep, and she still points out every jeep she see's. Ohh,La la, look at that, you would think sooner or later she would just give it up.

Joe, I learned to drive on a 64 w/352, was a nice car. My Dad got it when it was 6 mos old from a Ford Exec (he got a new car every 6 mos).

Then my Dad told him we needed a car for my Mom, and we got a 65 Country Squire 390 (pre owned for 6 wks by Charlotte Ford) w/every imaginable accessory.

Those were the two cars I learned to drive on, wish they were still around.

When they got old they were replaced with a pair of 69 LTDs. One was a Yellow 2 door with a 390 premium fuel 2 bbl, the other a Green 4 door (sleeper) with a 429 4 bbl. When I told my Dad I wanted them, and was going to transfer the 429 into the nice looking 2 door, he got rid of both of them!

What year Cherokee?
Mine was ok with stock drums for the ten years I owned and drove it. I pulled many trailer loads with it too. But it did come with the towing pkg and the Chrysler 8.8 rear diff.
View attachment 571841
Mine is a 97. Its got Old Man Emu 2.25" heavy leaf packs in the back so it tows pretty well even with the rear sway bar donated to the scrap pile long ago. 3.55 axles out of my brothers auto xj to get rid of the crap 3.07s the 5 speeds come with.

Stump wood from pine. The stump fills with sap and will literally last forever. If split small it will light with a match.

There are old burned stumps in the woods behind my cabin that are still there from when they logged in 1912. Still solid too.

From the size of this stump, I believe it was from a very large, long leaf pine... It was 5' to 6' long and at least 1' in diameter on the small end... I hated to cut it / bust it up, but that was the only way to get it loaded in the time frame we had available to us.

I have never been a fan of Jeeps of anykind. I always figured if I was going to go off road, it was because I needed to haul something in or out. A 4x4 pickup is a better tool for doing that. On the other hand, my wife has wanted a CJ every since we have been married. After 41years of marriage, we still havent ever owned a jeep, and she still points out every jeep she see's. Ohh,La la, look at that, you would think sooner or later she would just give it up.

I used to think that way. Now that I have one, I wish I would've bought one 20 years ago.

This one has the Dana 44 option-I'm guessing standard Cherokee parts wouldn't match up? I'm pretty new to mopar-but my pap was into them!

This one has the Dana 44 option-I'm guessing standard Cherokee parts wouldn't match up? I'm pretty new to mopar-but my pap was into them!
The v8 grands ran d44 in the rear. It had an aluminum center section to save weight so isn't as strong as the wrangler 44s or the 44s found in some late 80s Cherokees.

A few months ago a dead wattle fell over down the bottom of the property and I dragged the bits back up and dumped them in front of the woodshed. The intention was to break up all the twigs and whatnot for my kindling supplies - for which wattle twigs are just right. Unfortunately, I didn't get around to it immediately, along with everything else and grass grew about a metre high through the lot. It has been sitting there since, annoying me. Sunday was a showery day so no scrounging, but in between showers I pulled out the wattle bits and broke them up, then this morning I called in the mowing contractors to take the grass down.

9th Apr 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back