Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know it. Using big saws in big wood is not tiring and you can go long time (as they say in Bangkok).

My first saw was an MS 310 Farm boss - 59cc landowner saw, with 20in bar. Okay, not great. Next saw was the 460 workhorse (also 20in bar) and man, was it so much easier to cut wood, and despite the extra weight it was so much less tiring. And so it stood to reason .... etc etc

Anyway, I'm sure the little saws are fine in puny softwood, but when you get into serious stuff, you need DAMANSAW. While I'm a Stihl man, I would grudgingly accept a 395 if inducements were offered. You go swing that big saw and get some lead in your pencil :rock:.

Where are the pics, BTW?
I was racing the sun to the horizon. I'll get some tomorow but I feel like such a poser taking pics of saws and logs. Like "look at me I'm a logger wannabe"

I was racing the sun to the horizon. I'll get some tomorow but I feel like such a poser taking pics of saws and logs. Like "look at me I'm a logger wannabe"
That pretty much describes a lot of us! Lol. Make a couple cuts, place the saw on top just right, snap a pic. Load the truck, put saws on top, snap a pic. Drive home and unload, snap a pic......

Not sure if you are talking the drive sprocket (on the saw) or the nose sprocket (on the bar), but I have seen drive sprockets on pros saws that were cut in half!

I like to change mine when they look hammered, which takes a long time. They can get so warn that the drive links make marks on the sprocket driver (part of the clutch).

Use good bar oil, keep your chains sharp, and learn to avoid frequent "rocks" and your bar, chain and components will last a surprisingly long time.

Pushing a dull chain, or running chains too tight or too loose will have the opposite effect.

You know it. Using big saws in big wood is not tiring and you can go long time (as they say in Bangkok).

My first saw was an MS 310 Farm boss - 59cc landowner saw, with 20in bar. Okay, not great. Next saw was the 460 workhorse (also 20in bar) and man, was it so much easier to cut wood, and despite the extra weight it was so much less tiring. And so it stood to reason .... etc etc

Anyway, I'm sure the little saws are fine in puny softwood, but when you get into serious stuff, you need DAMANSAW. While I'm a Stihl man, I would grudgingly accept a 395 if inducements were offered. You go swing that big saw and get some lead in your pencil :rock:.

Where are the pics, BTW?

MS310/20" was also my 2nd saw. 1st was a HOmelight 360 pro. That ate the electrode off the sparkplug, Interesting damage on P&C LOL.

Next saw was MS361 with 'up to' 28" bar. Normally wears a 20 or 25".

The 310 weighs more than the 361 with same bar length. I know instatnly in the dark which one I picked up.
Latest addition is MS441/32". WOW!! whata beast. Trees quiver in fear when I fire that up.

View attachment 600429 MY WIFE split her first round She really got mad at the one that wouldn't give but moved on and split a few more before we had to quit ( school nite)
While I REALLY like this picture of your wife modeling the fiskars (pssst, did I like it enough?). I gotta ask about the old iron behind the berm. Looks like two old pickups there?

Does anyone have some pics of sprockets that need changing? I would like to see what constitutes needing a new sprocket.
Here's how I check my drives.
Wrap the chain around thrive and then move the sprocket back and forth inside. On a new chain it should not move at all, a little movement is fine, but if it moves more than a couple mms I change them out.
20170908_212148.jpg
The one on the right is getting worn, but could wear 2 to 3 times as much before I would replace it.
20170908_222157.jpg
The size of the sprockets has a lot to do with how much wear will cause the sprockets to move when you do the test as I do it. Some sprockets are smaller than others as is the stihl, notice in my pictures I'm not measuring the diameter in the worn area, but on the outer rim of the sprockets. The husky one will have to wear a lot more before even getting close to being as loose as the stihl sprocket.
Gotta run, the spruce is calling my name lol.
20170908_221504.jpg 20170908_221942.jpg

Back