Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped this Ash today, and a Norway Maple (no pics). The Ash was a bit larger, but the Maple was really leaning the wrong way. Just love that Maddsen Rope Winch, dropped em both right on the money!

Plan to mill the Ash trunk. Was large enough to put my CFB Hybrid with the 28" bar into action. Ran great.

Dang, this site won't let me upload the pics, the other site did, they used to be the same!

http://www.madsens1.com/sa_simpson.htm That guy?

46* here today , scrounged spruce in the furnace keeping the damp chill out of the house all day :)
Here's a pic of "Witches broom , a disease that will affect some spruce .

Uvk5zF2juYi7TauDKTtR1ePBpxopAM4k87p97NfsNfIGX4CiV2WrtbcpcBrxcza8QPxRLAmEDzy0_zXvXPjGBc38-F6ZgKveRd7WHJ2ORnyZaM85K9gfOHS2J-JA9v9Vho1dSgIK0_tMJWMbFXX1X7UrA1OxtdceAtQLDy48g6Z6Rf5Rrlz-y5Pl19Dm-_H7_o1OFFuB-GDkfbOOX_3sFZEDYkot393iyswciXakHpIgJrnMX08GHeEIbLKWv03a74FNvK2GDqUbRLQs9h2r6tdaRjhXStZnJmdHTOyCYbHBYq1S4TD3TRODQjTggimrjiE8LuDVZ0TsEqcgm9VX-qfz_G-jJXO6qMMLfloq8AwvWk6bjb1GMf14JKB9X12ndEX0yptTqi5I8olsRx1KdU4ip0fQP5vDSWhz3FhYy4L0DOt5FdVVpaM816eStURX8JL4fXPhOrcriLXu7QHLZDWzdMv0qy7vaGWVLO_0kDzx0eZFCDrdLTQSD0TUEWC7X4cZIb6o61-fVTFRzHXuOx7P8lzkCXIn5Mtc_5CHedCF2s0Bf1iykIj-eixYSCS3Jn4QL_Aio_PEY7gT13ZC7RkKFZJgaRdKnPu4i3fYS0BV7JE02Vz6T1v8OWQXI9uwHLbPltRXyz7B71Xqj9G9go0tSg2ZDsJ3SQ=w1364-h935-no

Looks like great fire starter to me. That plus one match and you would be set for the year. BTW, and I hope you don't think this is weird, but I had a dream last night that I went over to visit my friends in New Hampshire then popped up to Canada to meet you. Turned out you had a really nice house :).

A hawk, scrounging up my chicken.

I was playing cricket on Saturday and saw a big black kite (smaller than an eagle, but with a wingspan about 1.2-1.5m, I'm guessing) attack a flock of about 150 galahs (rose-breasted cockatoos, like a big parrot) at the end of the oval. It had two cracks at them, about an hour apart but galahs are pretty fast and nimble and the kite missed the lot. Guess he should stick to going after chickens. The noise of over a hundred screeching parrots scattering in all directions was impressive to say the least.

A few months ago I had this dead wattle that was leaning heavily towards the house pushed over the other way by my mate in his bobcat.

25th Aug 17.jpg

I burnt the stump pretty well and there was burnt dead ground for about 2 metres around. In the last month a festival of cherry tomatoes have appeared and are producing prolifically. Don't know how they got there but it wasn't us. In addition, we have a highly invasive blackberry at the bottom of our property that I haven't got around to killing and it has also been producing the goods. Blackberries have gone berserk in Oz and are a menace but since they're all around anyway, I figure I might as well hack it back and then keep harvesting the produce each summer since I'll never really be rid of it. Today's collection.

29th Jan 1.jpg

Otherwise, summer in Oz means scrounging is not attractive. Swimming in the crystal clear river on the other hand is very attractive when you're in a run of ten or more 35°+C days. Cowlass likes the rope swing.

29th Jan 2.jpg

And in she goes.

29th Jan 3.jpg

Scroungewise, however, I have several very interesting leads. Out at the Lady Farm I would always clean up after myself, burning all the brush and stumps and a couple of local major land owners are interested in having someone who will reduce their fire risk cutting on their land and cleaning up the crapp left over. It'll probably be March before it has cooled down enough to get into it but there should be plenty of scrounge pictures in due course.

Sounds pretty healthy. Keep in mind this is a OE 45 cc top end, not the newer 50 cc version

Cuts pretty healthy too, that's fanging through it. I have a present coming for Cowgirl that will hopefully do pretty nicely too....

I did get a nice scrounge of deadfall too. Nature provided an excellent elevated cutting opportunity and then the Ford did the same. Beautiful January weather for cutting and splitting....I had been burning through the wood pile but not much replenishment happening until today.

It's beautiful when they come down like that. Zzzt, zzzt, zzzt. Wonderful cutting. Great pics too!

@Cowboy254 That river sure looks tempting. And thanks for bringing up memories of picking berries with my Grandmother when I was a young boy!

It absolutely is. Woke up at 4.30am this morning and after lying awake for half an hour, figured I might as well do some exercise but the trouble with going for a run before work is that it is already over 70°F before you start your run in summer and then I'm still sweating when I see my first patient at work at 8am. This morning I drove down to the same spot on the river (about 10 mins), ran 2.5km down, 2.5km back then jumped in and swam for half an hour. The current was just right to breaststroke at a good pace without moving and nice and cool at the end. It's the next best thing to staying fit cutting wood.

Those times with your grandparents you only appreciate in hindsight. My grandfather would pick me up from kindergarten when he was down in Melbourne and it was a 1.5 mile walk home. He would come armed with a brown paper bag filled with Anzac biscuits and Minties (google is your friend) and we would stop at the two bus shelters on the way back and chow down. Simple though it was, it is one of my favourite early memories. Happy times.

Both my echo took 8-10 tanks to show there full potential. If your not comfortable voiding the warrenty leave it stock. If it doesn't bother you I'd do the MM and retune after 5 tanks or so. I run 40:1 in all my 2 stroke stuff. What part of central Maryland are you from.

Thanks! I am on tank number 2. I’ll let it run a bit more before I mod, maby March.

I’m using true fuel 40:1 so that sounds good.

I live in Westminster/Taylorsville. I’m actually getting all the wood a little south of Manchester.

Thanks! I am on tank number 2. I’ll let it run a bit more before I mod, maby March.

I’m using true fuel 40:1 so that sounds good.

I live in Westminster/Taylorsville. I’m actually getting all the wood a little south of Manchester.

Looks like a MD GTG may be in order. I go to Church in Taylorsville, live in Mt Airy, Joe.
Have saws will travel.

Latest posts

Back