Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the Japa pto shaft made up and the saw blade turns and cuts wood. The hydraulic oil was way down and I forgot to get more after the last line broke on my tractor so wasn't able to get the splitter cylinder to move. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the vale anyway as there is no resistance at all when you move it back and forth. I'm going to pull a couple of hydraulic lines off first and make sure the pump is working before I take the valve off though. A new one is cheap and makes it easier to resell.
I took the auto cycle valve out of the box and drooled over it until I remembered it was US $500 for it. And I'll likely need $75 of fittings to mount it too. Should speed things up though.
I got one of the Dragon's breath heaters ready to mount on the ceiling but ran out of desire to finish it. Decided to paly with the grand kids and nephews instead. Now everyone has gone home and I'm getting pretty comfortable just sitting here.
View attachment 687795

that auto-return valve speaks for itself! nice piece. :)

that is quite a rig!! that saw almost hints of Halloween..yikes!

>and I'm getting pretty comfortable just sitting here.

I can relate... lol

Thanks for the kind words, thoughts and prayers :)

London Neil - no doubt you remember many wonderful things about your dad! I do about mine! when we lived in England... just south of London, down in the Harrow area... my dad often made leek soup on a Sunday afternoon. it was great. we got our first Norwegian Elkhound while living in England. I was in the 5th grade. I have had the breed ever since.

today, I was reminded of those times with my dad while the family lived in England as I made some homemade leek soup... and my oldest Elkhound was helping me, too. but he got tired and 'petered out'... lol

ahh, for the memories. :yes: hope you are filled with many of your dad, too...

Best regards

P5130008.JPG P5130009.JPG P5130011.JPG

I got the Japa pto shaft made up and the saw blade turns and cuts wood. Decided to paly with the grand kids and nephews instead. Now everyone has gone home and I'm getting pretty comfortable just sitting here. View attachment 687795

hey cantoo ~ saw your stove/burner face u made posted over at wtf. pretty neat. I like your artwork. too bad it don't hold up. like the shovel tongue, I guess it is... just a burner, or a cooker, too?...

I got the Japa pto shaft made up and the saw blade turns and cuts wood. View attachment 687795

that saw blade looks 'logger country' serious... so, if ur tractor's pto rpm is around 2400/2500?... at what rpm does the saw blade rev at once you let the clutch out, assuming u put it in N and rpm is pto speed? runs in L M or H range?

My Massey 135 has two PTO speeds. One runs off the engine and is the standard 540 @ 1700 RPM . The other runs off the drive axle and is 1.375 to 1. The ground PTO, off the drive axle, is handy with implaments that may get stuck and need to back out. Like a post hole digger. In engine PTO if it gets stuck you would have to unhook the auger and manually unwind it out. In ground PTO you would run it with one tire off the ground, so yes the tire is turning. If the auger gets stuck, you just put it in reverse and it will screw itself out. I tried running my bush hog in ground PTO and had to get it in high range to get the blade spinning fast enough to cut. Then the tractor was going too fast to keep it under control. Lesson learned, ground PTO is not for mowing.

I have a gray market Kubota tractor, L1500, (not certain at the moment) about 17(?) hp. It has four pto speeds. As a gray market, it was not equipped as it would be for the US market. I understand that in Japan, they do have uses for those other three speeds. Low is supposed to be 540 at the proper engine speed.

My L35 only has 540. I've never run this one before and have no idea of rpm's. It does turn pretty quick and sounds like a buzz saw. I picked up a few things at Princess Auto today. Would have been more but they were out of stock on a couple items I needed. Could have bought 2 cord of wood. Thank God I'm getting all this "free" firewood.
The Minion was built to be a functioning burner but my grandson hated it when it was burning and wouldn't go near it so I painted it up and it guards the door to his playhouse. It's the building in the back of the Kubota and processor picture. His play center, slides and Amish limo are also in the pic.
20181203_093134.jpg

The 2019 season scrounge is underway.

Gotta love the neighbor
I came home yesterday afternoon and there was a tree crew trimming up his silver maple. I asked them and they were nice enough to leave me the larger limbs. The largest piece was about 5 feet long, and about 12" diameter. That small scrounge yielded about 4 wheelbarrow loads.

The nicely stacked (and darker) wood on the left side is from a small tree that came down in his front yard from the snow and ice we had a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, this is the left side of the tree and the main trunk. The right side split off a few years ago. Other than "firewood", I have no idea what kind of wood it is.
20181204_081151.jpg

20181204_081202.jpg

The 2019 season scrounge is underway. Gotta love the neighbor

yup! ~ the 2019 scrounge season is underway. a friend has this in his yard. looks to me to be a good scrounge potential! going to talk to him about it. 15-18' high, maybe bit more... should be good for a cord or more...

P5140001.JPG

Some of you firewood scroungers would clean up my back yard, probably a hundred + oaks down from Hurricane Michael, I'll be cutting n pile burning for years
Edgar
2c73e4026623a1743cadfd053b169455.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Some of you firewood scroungers would clean up my back yard, probably a hundred + oaks down from Hurricane Michael, I'll be cutting n pile burning for years
Edgar

What a mess!! I thought the 1/3 of a mile of old willow trees I started on 5 or 6 years ago was bad, nothing like in that picture. I will finish that willow bush this coming year.

Edgar

I like the claw on front of ur tractor where bucket goes. nice! moves big bites easily!

WELCOME to the fun, keep us posted with ur pix and doings... :)

Latest posts

Back