Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We dropped out of the 6~9" band into the 3~6" band and the high end of that appears to be accurate. Plugged the tractor in ~1/2 hour ago. Supposedly going to snow until 7 PM and stay warmish until 9 or 10. Time to get dressed for a few hours of seat time. The wind had pretty well stopped for the moment at least.

All that snow you guys got is gonna be rain for us. I'll take it. Easier to heat the house. :D
I'll take it, I'm not a fan of the mud :eek:.
Looks like the front is moving your way from indy right now. I think they are calling for some frigid temps behind the rain aren't they :cold:.
Our house is easier to heat when the roof has a couple ft of snow on it :havingarest:.
We have cathedral ceilings so there is very little insulation/ventilation, I do have some ice buildup because of that though. It's not bad if I keep the bottom 3-4 ft cleared off.
We dropped out of the 6~9" band into the 3~6" band and the high end of that appears to be accurate. Plugged the tractor in ~1/2 hour ago. Supposedly going to snow until 7 PM and stay warmish until 9 or 10. Time to get dressed for a few hours of seat time. The wind had pretty well stopped for the moment at least.
I spent a half hr out there already, we probably have 6-8, they said 8-12, they say we could get more today yet and then they have the % for tues and wed looking like theres more coming then too. Looking at the radar it's showing more heading your way right now.
Here's my little beast of burden, heading back out in a few. Noticed the holder for the top link fell off again, maybe I'll find it in the spring:lol:.
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 3.08.02 PM.png

Wish it would snow here. One good day pushing a snow blower for my buddy would probably give me enough to pick up the OLD j red iv been saving for. Probably all turn to rain here. What a waste of winter.
Take a drive up this way, you'd have enough to buy quite a few, I'd rather not do snow for others unless its just helping out. I've considered many times plowing or snowblowing for customers, I just don't want to be a slave to it as I'd much rather go skiing or just enjoy looking at it.
I agree about it being a waste of winter lol, I like the beauty of the white snow rather than the grey when there isn't any.
Saw this guy on my drive into town to ship a saw, also posted these in the GMT.
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.30.50 PM.png
This is a RR bridge not far from my house, the river separates me from town. The nice thing is there is a bridge to the east of me and to the west of me if I need to go to town so we have very easy access.
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.31.58 PM.png

Looks good.
That's the equivalent to the t4. Pacific energy has three firebox sizes from what I remember, small is the 4, med is the 5(which I have), then the big boy the 6. All their stoves have the same firebox with whatever decorative stuff they add to them.
I like mine, but I've never ran any others.

That's sweet Jeff. I think it would be hard to beat those times. It's funny how many of the stoves show similar efficencys but real world it much different.
I've been looking at a wood furnace that's made in northern Wisconsin, it looks like it's very low maintenance and the cost is "reasonable".
If I remember and no one post the name of them I'll post a like later.
Chipper1, did you ever find the name of the wood furnace? I have 1993 HotBlast 1400 that works well...as long as you can keep it fed! We're maybe interested in replacing this 25 year old beast, but not to impressed with EPA furnaces I've found. Thanks,Billijak

Take a drive up this way, you'd have enough to buy quite a few, I'd rather not do snow for others unless its just helping out. I've considered many times plowing or snowblowing for customers, I just don't want to be a slave to it as I'd much rather go skiing or just enjoy looking at it.
I agree about it being a waste of winter lol, I like the beauty of the white snow rather than the grey when there isn't any.
Saw this guy on my drive into town to ship a saw, also posted these in the GMT.
View attachment 700184
This is a RR bridge not far from my house, the river separates me from town. The nice thing is there is a bridge to the east of me and to the west of me if I need to go to town so we have very easy access.
View attachment 700185
I dont have to go. I'm just an extra I go if I want to and stay home if I dont. But they know if the SHTF and they need all hands on deck I won't bulk at the idea of spending 12+ hours in a plow truck or pushing a snow blower like some of the young guys on there crew. So I always get a call.

Chipper1, did you ever find the name of the wood furnace? I have 1993 HotBlast 1400 that works well...as long as you can keep it fed! We're maybe interested in replacing this 25 year old beast, but not to impressed with EPA furnaces I've found. Thanks,Billijak
Here you go, thanks for reminding me.
https://www.lamppakuuma.com
25 yrs is a long time! Wonder if they are still made to the same quality standards?
I think @Ryan'smilling just got one a while back if iirc, maybe he can give an update.

I dont have to go. I'm just an extra I go if I want to and stay home if I dont. But they know if the SHTF and they need all hands on deck I won't bulk at the idea of spending 12+ hours in a plow truck or pushing a snow blower like some of the young guys on there crew. So I always get a call.
My neighbor plows for a large company, he's in his late 50's, all the young guys always leave before him and a few others when things get heavy here :rare2:.
I've never driven a plow truck for someone, but have a lot of experience driving big trucks and plowing with a Honda foreman :happybanana:.

Here you go, thanks for reminding me.
https://www.lamppakuuma.com
25 yrs is a long time! Wonder if they are still made to the same quality standards?
I think @Ryan'smilling just got one a while back if iirc, maybe he can give an update.
Thank you, sir.
Yea, we moved out of a double wide into our new home in Dec 1993....bought the new HotBlast an put it in the basement, hooked up to ductwork. Same year Consolidated Dutchwest on 1st floor - my avatar pic. Forced air propane furnace seldom runs unless gone for more than a day! But, keeping both of them fed is almost a full time job! Retired last summer from the state of SD, so can work on that.
Replacing the Dutchwest with a new Woodstock IS...not installed yet, sitting in the garage. Thinking of maybe replacing the HotBlast, but the reviews on comparable new EPA furnaces aren't great...unless you start getting into 'real money'!
Thanks for the info, billijak

Thank you, sir.
Yea, we moved out of a double wide into our new home in Dec 1993....bought the new HotBlast an put it in the basement, hooked up to ductwork. Same year Consolidated Dutchwest on 1st floor - my avatar pic. Forced air propane furnace seldom runs unless gone for more than a day! But, keeping both of them fed is almost a full time job! Retired last summer from the state of SD, so can work on that.
Replacing the Dutchwest with a new Woodstock IS...not installed yet, sitting in the garage. Thinking of maybe replacing the HotBlast, but the reviews on comparable new EPA furnaces aren't great...unless you start getting into 'real money'!
I see my signature says 1995 for the HB....I'll have to correct that!

Slow ... My bad. 5k for an add-on that's not a boilers a little out of my budget.
:badpc::lol:.
It's not cheap, but they have a great warranty and from what I can tell they make a product that they can stand behind.
Good friend of mine just spent well over 10k for a propane furnace including the install which included running a new return and a duct upstairs, and he's still dependent on propane :eek:.
When I bought my pacific energy the cheapest I could find this model for was 2400 and it was in Colorado which wasn't working, that one was also the small firebox and I wanted the medium. I Waited a while and I finally found a small shop just into PA that was going out of business and grabbed it up for 1800, another 600 in pipe and cap and I was ready to get my tax credit of 30% to bring it back down a bit. I paid for it the first yr we had it and my saw/first splitter the second as well as all the accessories, smalls, and fuel/oil so the third yr it was free. If I would have gotten a cheaper one it would have saved more, but I wanted the cast sides and top for my kids as I thought it would be a bit safer and I'm glad I did more for other peoples kids than mine.

Thank you, sir.
Welcome.
We live in a double wide now on a 9' basement(I don't heat the basement). When I bought this place I wasn't about to use an 80% efficient propane furnace to heat 1850 sq ft in a 95 trailer(I'm not a fan of the propane companies). I looked into geothermal as well as a wood boiler but the wood stove seemed the most efficient and cost effective. But I didn't have the cash for it the first yr as we had a lot of other things going on including a new baby and another home :envy:. So I bought a used pellet stove and a large propane wall heater since the place came with a 500 gallon propane tank that had 43% in it. I used the wall unit above our garden tub(between the bedroom and the bathroom) and the pellet stove in the rest of the house. I had a pipe ran from the back to the front that I drew hot air from that are into the main living space, now that fan/pipe is blowing air from the living space into the back area, I don't use the propane heater anymore, not even the pilot. I never fired the propane furnace and plan to remove it to put a wash basin in that area and a two speed propane updraft furnace in the basement, someday.
Lots of plans but taking it all slow.
I see my signature says 1995 for the HB....I'll have to correct that!
You better get on that or we'll call the signature police :p.
I don't put anything in there as it changes way to often :yes:.

If you ever talk to them at Kuuma or stop in to the shop you'll be sold. If I ever went indoor wood furnace I wouldn't do anything else.
Do you know anyone who has them.
I figure if they will work there they will work here.
From what I see the two biggest things are the initial setup and then having properly seasoned wood.

Latest posts

Back